Suggestions for civilizations balance on certain maps

the franks/mayans/britons stacking stuff only ruined the game after they started letting people choose whether they spawn in front or back

if they remove that silly setting and return random map to being skill-based instead of cheese-based, then those civs are closer to fine for teamgames

xbow is still too cheap in general and the early game would still be 1-dimensional, but without the cheese settings letting mayans/britons force forward spawns and just make 50 of the same unit from feudal age buildings the games used to last long enough for other civs to be able to use their bonuses

But doing that will hurt a large amount of the playerbase that likes to pick civs and positions, and furthermore you push out a good amount of MP players.

Even if you look back at Voobly Franks and Mayans were even stronger here (don’t know if that also included TGs, since the aoestats.io page only showed 1v1 at the time), so if you remove civ and position picking well those civs still reign over all others if are gotten at random.

1 Like

We have Sicilians bonus.

Berbers and Turks are the two polar opposite.

Cries in Dravidians, laughs in Gurjaras.

Reactivating this thread and see how ridiculous are the Gurjara armored eles in castle age:

They are. I think the bonus should be limited to Camel only. No need to nerf the whole bonus and their camel.

yeah I think left the mounted bonus damage as is, but just remove from armored elephant, they train 25% faster and cost 25% less food with Kshatriyas, more tha enough.

1 Like

Given the fact that Siege Elephant do not affected by Siege Engineers, I think nerfing their Mounted units deal +15 / +25 / +30% bonus damage in Feudal Age, Castle Age and Imperial Age would be better

1 Like

15% in feudal = +0.6 bonus damage from camel. So you can just ignore it.
25% in castle = +2.25 bonus damage from camel instead of 4.5. Big nerf.
30% in Imperial = 5.4 bonus damage but without Blast Furnace it is 3.4, same as Malian Heavy Camel. Gurjaras camel doesn’t need to be that bad.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the arm length of bonuses on top of that. “That bad” is quite the exaggeration

You know what doesn’t need to be “that bad” ? Ethiopian camels

Tbf using a team with tatoh and viper is really not the best indicator of how good or bad a unit is.

Not saying gurj aren’t OP. But would love to see viper getting beaten by a random because they’re using AE

And in this case likely any AE would’ve done the job

Updates stats for Arena, there isn’t nothing that doesn’t justify nerfing Turks on Arena.

And maybe Burgundians also need a nerf here, the WR is mostly high because of the Flemish revolution tech.

Nice Franks got just a bit higher than Britons for TGs in open maps 11.

Also in closed maps in TGs:

You are looking the wrong axis
You are asking to nerf Turks and Hindustanis on Arena
Gurjaras and Hindustanis on TG open maps and Gurjaras and Portuguese on TG closed maps
I really believe that Gurjaras and Hindustanis are on top because both are a perfect counter to the forever OP Franks

1 Like

I think we may try to make them a somewhat cavalry civ to compensate the arena nerf. Maybe free scout upgrade is replaced with as you proposed, stable techs cost no gold?
Feudal Age = 100 gold from Bloodline
Castle Age = 50 gold from LC upgrade
Imperial Age = 300 gold from cavalier + 360 gold from Heavy Camel Rider + 500 gold from Hussar

Imperial looks too powerful. Maybe just BL and scout upgrades cost no gold will be enough.

1 Like

Turks actually struggle a bit vs cavalry civs on open maps due to the lack of pikemen, saving heavy camel gold cost means you can tech quickly into that.

That’s true. But saving 1460 gold total (Chemistry, Heavy Camel, Cavalier, Hussar) in Imperial is huge even for them.

They have bad trash units anyway (It would be OP for a civ with even halb or elite skirmisher).

That’s true. But saving 1460 gold total in Imperial is huge even for them.

After watching the third match of this:

What if Hindustani lose access to Elite Skirmisher?, it will force players to rush out Ghulam sooner, because without Ghulam you won’t have an effective answer to archers.

Also I think the Ghulam thrust damage is too high:

It should be 33% not 50%.

No. I’m not liking that. Just nerf Ghulam.

2 Likes
1 Like

I agree. This is the most direct nerf on Hindustanis