[Suggestions] Gameplay and graphic improvements

I’ve been playing Age of Empires for 14 years and imagine my excitement when I learned that there would be a Graphical remaster - a definitive edition of AoE. Given the fact that until now the game is in a Beta stage and future information might be included, I would really like to compile my list of suggestions, hoping that they will be released in the definitive edition or in some future updates.

First of all, graphically, I would like that, just like architecture is different between East Asian, Central Asian, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean and Roman so the unit graphics would differ. For we can agree that it’s quite strange to see a Choson Legion armed as a greek soldier. (Then again, some of these units might be renamed, for example, the Hoplite for asian civs may be named Pikeman?)

Second, gameplay-wise, there would be a few requests to make:

• **Formations **- enable units to “group” in squadrons and make them take various formations. Also, when you task a group of units(separate or in squadron) to attack another squadron, by default each unit randomly picks one of the opponent’s units to attack (generally they take 1 vs 1). Thus the units have better AI and you have a more simple control over the battlefield
  • Gates. Well, many people requested this and it would be strategically convenient to have gates.
  • Possibility to regenerate automatically and walk over farms like in AoE 2
  • At least 1 upgrade for the Axeman and Slinger units. For example, Egyptian armies used Axemen in the bronze and Iron ages it is strange to see that the only Axemen available wield stone axes from the Tool Age. And slingers were employed for example, by greek and roman armies.

Lastly, I know that it is highly unlikely for these to be implemented in the first version of AoE DE, but I would like to post my perfect idea of civilizations. It adds more variety and replayability, and (i believe) fixes some issues such as Assyrians having Egyptian Architecture. Maybe this gets realized in the future of AoE or in some mod:

Balkanic: Greeks, Macedonians, Minoans, Epirotes,

Semitic: Sumerian, Assyrian, Babylonian, Akkadian

East Asian: Shang, Yamato, Choson, Xiongnu(Mongolians)

North African: Egyptian, Axumite, Israelite, Numidian,

Roman: Roman, Etruscan, Palmyrian, Carthaginian

Indo-Iranians: Persians, Mitanni, Hittites, Janapadas(Vedic Indians),

European: Celts, Hallstatt(Germanic bronze age), Trundholm(Nordic bronze age), Chernogorovka(Slavic Iron age)

As you can see, two new cultures(Indo-Iranian and European) have been added together with 13 new civilizations and civilizations have been reorganized in order to be more historically-correct.

EDIT: (Phoenician instead of Numidian)

@ThaneWulfgharn said:
First of all, graphically, I would like that, just like architecture is different between East Asian, Central Asian, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean and Roman so the unit graphics would differ. For we can agree that it’s quite strange to see a Choson Legion armed as a greek soldier.

I do agree that it looks strange - but it might get a bit annoying to have to re-learn visual cues for different units for all the different civs. It would also be a ton of extra work for the artists. But, as this is a visual suggestion, it comes down to personal preference.

• **Formations **- enable units to “group” in squadrons and make them take various formations. Also, when you task a group of units(separate or in squadron) to attack another squadron, by default each unit randomly picks one of the opponent’s units to attack (generally they take 1 vs 1). Thus the units have better AI and you have a more simple control over the battlefield

Agreed, this would make combat far smoother and more intuitive.

• Gates. Well, many people requested this and it would be strategically convenient to have gates.

Devs have already confirmed that gates will not be in the game. Sorry :frowning:

• Possibility to regenerate automatically and walk over farms like in AoE 2

This question splits the community, I feel. Personally, I love the AoE2 system as it’s far easier - but it’s not too much of a pain to do it manually, either.

• At least 1 upgrade for the Axeman and Slinger units. For example, Egyptian armies used Axemen in the bronze and Iron ages it is strange to see that the only Axemen available wield stone axes from the Tool Age. And slingers were employed for example, by greek and roman armies.

Hahahah, I don’t think historical accuracy really fits in a game like AoE (ironically enough). Balancing takes priority over historical accuracy, otherwise the game would be broken. Imo, the upgrades and units should remain as they are.

Lastly, I know that it is highly unlikely for these to be implemented in the first version of AoE DE, but I would like to post my perfect idea of civilizations. It adds more variety and replayability, and (i believe) fixes some issues such as Assyrians having Egyptian Architecture. Maybe this gets realized in the future of AoE or in some mod:

Semitic: Sumerian, Assyrian, Babylonian, Akkadian

East Asian: Shang, Yamato, Choson, Xiongnu(Mongolians)

North African: Egyptian, Axumite, Israelite, Numidian,

Roman: Roman, Etruscan, Palmyrian, Carthaginian

Indo-Iranians: Persians, Mitanni, Hittites, Janapadas(Vedic Indians),

European: Celts, Hallstatt(Germanic bronze age), Trundholm(Nordic bronze age), Chernogorovka(Slavic Iron age)

Yeah, these would be interesting. Although…Isrealites as North African? They’d fit way better in the Semitic category. Carthaginians should, if anything, be where the Phoenicians are, or be switched to the North African category.

Ideally, Palmyran, Carthaginian, Numidian and Phoenician would form a cultural group of their own and at the Roman culture I would add Trojan(Aeneas is deemed ancestor of Romans) and Illyrian(co-temporary of Romans) cultures.

Hmm, now you give me an idea. Adding 1 more culture Indo-Dravidian. And making some re-arrangements).

EDIT: No, I can’t edit the first post thus the cultures and civs would be:

Semitic: Sumerian, Akkadians, Babylonian, Israelite,

East Asian: Shang, Yamato, Choson, Xiongnu,

Egyptian: Egyptian, Aksumite, Kushite, (??Fourth??),

Roman: Roman, Etruscan, Trojan, Illyrian,

Mediterranean: Carthaginian, Palmyran, Numidian, Phoenician,

Iranians: Persians, Mitanni, Hittites, Assyrian (I know that they’re not Iranian but Semitic, still, I find their architecture to be more similar to Persian than to Babylonian. Also, Assyrian people today are more similar to Iranian than Iraqi. Technically they’re unique, but I find modern Iranians more similar to Assyrians in appearence).

Indo-Dravidian: Janapadas, Gupta, Mauryans, Dravidians,

European: Celts, Hallstatt, Trundholm, Chernogorovka

What do you think? What could be a 4th Egyptian faction?