SUPPORT FOR GAME IS DEAD - Devs delete Beta discord in response to question about updates

Yesterday I was on the beta discord channel about the game reaching out about expressing disappointment in the lack of support other than fixes. I expressed concern that I and others I have seen around about the lack of development in finishing the game features and about how I felt let down by it. I asked if anything could be shared about the upcoming features and pleaded about getting in the features that people feel are missing and point to the thread about the community wish list. I was careful to keep the tone sad and disappointed rather than angry to ensure I didn’t offend anyone.

The response?

The beta discord channel is deleted (Can’t access on any account since) with no message as to why.

To me the situation is obvious:
They are not supporting the game any more and don’t want to admit it. None of the features they said they were going to add post release are going to happen and this game is already dead on the support side. It is clear the development cycle is there simply as a cash grab and nothing else - make an incomplete game, wait for sale and forget about it going onto the next game. The same happened for Age of Mythology EE and it is likely this cycle is going to continue for the other DEs.

I am bitterly disappointed by this new approach on things and hope that the managers responsible are ashamed on themselves. I will be very reluctant about purchasing any similar titles again in the future.

I wish I could share what I put on discord here but I cannot access it now.

If anyone in the dev team reading this post can provide a definitive answer to all this good or bad and even better some reasoning it would be greatly appreciated. I want this to be the fantastic Definitive Edition just as everyone else wants. I love the original and Age of Mythology and was very excited about this release but it is missing simple small features that hold it back so much - even just simply adding scenario transfer would go a long way. Anyone know knows me from Age of Mythology would understand the importance of this feature due to the insane number of maps I played. (I have over 3000 files in my scenario folder from years of play - that is not exaggeration!)

Beta discord for me should be closed when game exit, for the rest the most important feature that miss in a Rating sistem

I doubt it was the devs decision to stop supporting the game, so don’t blame them. It’s probably from the higher up management. They must be on a constrained budget to develop the DE’s, but I hope they pass on the concerns from the public to the management team i.e put more resources and time into the development of the next one.

I also wish the dev team is more transparent with the situation and more engaging with us on the forums. This would prevent all of these repeating threads about lack of support, etc.

Well tbh the beta finished a long time ago.

However, it may be good if there was another discord channel for questions

Hi @nottudwill, The beta Discord should probably have been shut down when the beta ended. The AoE:DE general discussion subforum is the best place to talk about the game and the AoE:DE support website at https://www.ageofempires.com/support is the best place to go for help resolving issues with the game. The AoE:DE support discussions subforum is also available for players to help one another find solutions to issues with the game.

I too share in your disappointment with the lack of transparency on the development status of AoE:DE and the absence of an active developer presence on the forums, given that the game released only 3 months ago.

I hope that this is not the end of development for AoE:DE and the high priority improvements requested by the community like improved pathing and multiplayer ranking are implemented.

@PunjabiSpartans I would love nothing more than a bit of transparency about the issue tbh if nothing else. I did end up aiming some of the original discord message towards asking the devs to persuade management to allocate more resources to support and outlined the benefits on both improving this game and making people more likely to buy future games. This new way of developing and immediately abandoning the game does not feel like a very good/sustainable method of development and certainly does make the games deserving of the title “Definitive Edition”.

Its “definitive” because they will never touch it again…

If they think players will trust them again for AoE II DE, III, and IV, while the 1st isn’t finished, they’ll just see sales collapsing.

Genius. Absolutely genius.

Don’t release the game on the massively popular platforms of STEAM and GOG, no, release it only on the Microsoft store and only on Windows 10 so very few people will buy it…

…and then abandon support because nobody bought it.

GENIUS!

@SvelterPenny568 said:

Don’t release the game on the massively popular platforms of STEAM and GOG, no, release it only on the Microsoft store and only on Windows 10 so very few people will buy it…

GENIUS!

I dont think nobody buy it men…

@SvelterPenny568 said:

GENIUS!

Probably plenty of people have bought the game. That’s the entire point. So many people either pre ordered the game or bought it directly at launch. A lot of games suffer from this. I don’t think it’s the proper motivation to really finish and polish a game when many people have already pre ordered the game, or bought it at launch. It’s all a game of money, sadly.

If you won’t communicate…

…then at least give us the ability to modify the game’s data files so the community can try to finish/update parts of the game ourselves and hopefully create a better experience for everyone. Rid us of the ■■■■ stupid ridiculous store app limitations.

In any case… if AoE DE isn’t in a “definitive” state by the time the next DE iteration arrives, I am done purchasing from you.

It’s very disappointing that there is no gate ways to Garrison troops or castles I think it’s an incomplete game without it. And it definitely takes away from the strategy portion of the game. These are somewhat easy fixes are considering about 15 years ago when he was added while on a lan system and an expansion pack.

@Player028425925 said:
It’s very disappointing that there is no gate ways to Garrison troops or castles I think it’s an incomplete game without it. And it definitely takes away from the strategy portion of the game. These are somewhat easy fixes are considering about 15 years ago when he was added while on a lan system and an expansion pack.

The devs didn’t add garrisoning to the game because it would fundamentally change how the game is played. The strategy with AoE:DE is survive with a few defensive structures and defend your city with a few military units.

@rhrmn That’s also why this version doesn’t go very well with high pop caps to my opinion. It depends too much on micro even though the small changes they have made to the upatched genie 1 engine. No further balancing or better pathfinding can change that fact. Actually I already expected that this is what you get when you apply another patch over an already patched engine, not so efficient. Hope they do it better with AOE II DE.

@“PhatFish AoEH” I actually mentioned about the frustration of the UWP and about how we could have fixed the game ourselves if it was moddable in the original discord. I completely agree with you!

@rhrmn said:

@Player028425925 said:

The devs didn’t add garrisoning to the game because it would fundamentally change how the game is played. The strategy with AoE:DE is survive with a few defensive structures and defend your city with a few military units.

Garrison and other aoe2 feature will not be added right… its ROR not aoe2 ( u have the keyboard customizing and Rally point that ROR havent ).
BUT… BUT… they promise a Rating sistem… WHERE IS? WHY NOT? game every day that pass without a rating system dead …

@Marra333 As far as I know they did not promise a rating system. Please show me a link where it is stated that AOE DE will include a rating system.

Well MP without rating system is pretty useless, then they might have made only SP as well .

@“teutonic tanks” Nope. Only willing to play MP if it has a rating system is an useless player.