TC killing animals

I ran past opponent’s TC, he garrisoned to take a shot, killed 3 of his sheep in 1 volley…

I know this has been brought up before somewhere… but i still dont think its right… If a TC kills an animal the animal should still provide food, or animals should be immune to building fire. The main reason for this is extreme negative player experience. It has nothing to do with balance or pro playing, but is mainly for the majority of the players who are human and therefore make mistakes. This applies to boars and deer with de-garrison misclicks and just general misclicks anyway…

I seriously felt really bad for my opponent when this happend, I cant imagine there’s many players that would have been able to recover from this in a ranked game (aka opponents of similar skill)

Inb4 “you should keep playing” not all of us are masochists… most people want a fair game, being 3 sheep behind is not remotely a fair game

9 Likes

This is left in the game on purpose, so laming is a viable strategy.
The other guy just played well.

4 Likes

sounds like he made a bad decision, he knew his sheep were in the area of your scout and consciously chose to garrison his TC and shoot at it anyway.

4 Likes

Well if sheeps could survive TC fire you probably could have stolen them (I’m not saying that you would, just to make an example), leading to an even more unbalanced situation.

In all honesty I think that finding and protecting the starting food is a skill, not that hard to get if he focus and improve on that. And being down 3 sheeps is not game-ending at all, with some adaptation in the build order (push 2 deers, put a couple vills more on berries, add few farms, wall earlier and try to hold) you can still play a decent game

5 Likes

Than why even risk ur vills die to boars if u can lure it in ur tc’s range and just kill it which i think sucks

1 Like

well his fault for keeping the sheep that far away, also looks like you were able to convert his sheep. Now I may also be judging too much from this screenshot but there was no way he could have killed your scout since it was running parallel, so a bad greedy decision punished

3 Likes

Noone is risking to lose a vil to a boar. Thats something that happens 1 in a hundred times, because you mess something up.

I actually agree with OP. This does not enable or disable laming. It is just another kind of laming that makes the early game even more punishing. Sheeps are honestly one of the worst mechanics in the game at the moment.
So right now it already is:

1. You cant have all sheep close to the TC, because villagers are so amazingly stupid, that when they cant all fit around one sheep they will just kill another. If they are all below the tc it is almost impossible to prevent this.
  2. You cant garrison all villagers, because otherwise the scout will conver the sheep and can run them away.
  3. If a scout steals your sheep, and you try to get them back he can just kill them denying the food completely.
  4. Sometimes if you want to kill them with a villager, instead of the enemy scout killing them, you cant, because villagers to this stupid waving them to the TC making them all move by their own instead of killing them. This behaviour is extremely stupid by itself. Why can a villager do something he never got any command for and influence the movement of other units I have?

Sheep are just a terrible gameplay experience overall. Anything to improve this is very welcome in my opinion.
Sure, be conservative and say “its a skill”. Yeah it is, but so is hitting your genitals just hard enough that it massively hurts, but doesnt make you infertile. Not exactly a fun skill to execute or good skill to have.

5 Likes

Yes, let TC kills animal without lost of food its ok.

2 Likes

Agreed. There is no reason for the TC to ever shoot sheep. I’ve seen this happen several times. It appears to be a bug – as though the TC sees the converted sheep as an enemy unit and intentionally targets them.

2 Likes

Well the converted sheep ARE an enemy unit, and stray projectiles are in general still doing 50% damage to units they did not intend to hit. So no, its not a bug, its just how the game works. Only way to change it really would be that animals killed by the TC do not lose all food.

2 Likes

I think for sheep it should be fixed, so that it can still be harvested

But for Boars, the element should be kept (else everyone will always shoot boar with TC and never lose hp on vills) because the fact that villagers get hurt by boars is kinda balanced, rewarding those who micro the boar lure better by having their vills have more health… adding a gameplay mechanic. And also for people who are adept enough at shooting the boar with TC, then killing it with last shot later, it is rewarding because they have more hp on the vills.

4 Likes

But in mayority cases the vils get hurt by boars when they go take the boar attention, not close the TC, so, I don’t think it will be a great difference

1 Like

Keep the sheep under one of the “wings” and the slaughter in the centre, how is it crowded? Unless you’re playing ghost lake or some sheep heavy map, it is always possible to keep them under TC

1 Like

I think that would be the best. Cattle food could always be harvested while wild animals food (so including deers too) cannot.

2 Likes

Military Arrows were always tainted with poison orc several bodily dejections, so you could not eat any meat shot with such an Arrow.

Hunting Arrows woud do nothing to a warrior armed even with padded Gambeson, their tip was mostly sharpenned wood, and to kill armoured combatants you would need a stone or metal tipped Arrow.

It actually makes historical sense why the TC and Archers/Defenses Arrows kill the animal without a chance to get the meat.
Arrows by themselvs have a low lethality rate unless they hit a vital organ or major artery. We have recorded cases of people getting shot with untainted Arrows in the eye, and surviving.
You would really roll that tip in poison, urine or feces, to make sure every shot counted, since War is always a numbers game in he end.

Seriously, read on how filthy Ancient and Medieval combat was, all around the world. If you could cause a virulent infection in an opponent, and run away to safety, while he slowly dies, you would much rather do it, than risk he catching up with you by your second arrow notch.

3 Likes

Sounds like units hitted by archers should lose HP until they have healing by a monk. I would like to see it implemented. Great idea :stuck_out_tongue:

It would mess up balance, the way it is now is better.

Isn’t it funny how the argument of historical accuracy always only counts exactly when you want it to count, and gets immediately thrown out the window the moment you think it shouldnt apply anymore?

3 Likes

No, I always prize gameplay over accuracy, but also praise the devs when accuracy is coincidentally balanced for gameplay.

Sounds like you refer to history only with things you like :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like