Tech switch cost reduction

Would it be a ridiculous idea to lower the costs of all upgrades a bit(especially unit upgrades)? As things are now, it feels like it’s very punishing to go for a different type of unit than you decided on at the start, too punishing to be economically or strategically viable atleast. Most games I played revolve around getting a critical mass of 1 type of units and then breaking your opponents eco to secure the win. Food for thought.

I don’t think tech and upgrade costs should be reduced. in general you should be mixing two unit types (outside of siege) into your standard army. 1 ranged, and 1 melee, 1 being gold, and 1 being trash, that complement each other.
so like Archers + Pikes
or Knights + Skirms.

1 Like

Im mostly fine with the Cost of Most techs but some UTs should get a Cost reduction for example bearded Axe, Royal heirs, logistica, shinkichon,…

1 Like

My point was once you decide to build Knights + Skirms, you’re stuck building Knights + Skirms the whole game, switching to Infantry or Archers carries a cost too high to be feasible. Which is a shame, it seems to me and an opportunity missed for some fun rock paper scissors back and forth.

1 Like

I agree with the concept, but I’m not sure I agree with your examples.
If you have FU knight+skirms, getting the upgrades to go (Cav)Archers is relatively cheap. And a switch into champion, whilst expensive, can be extremely valuable; straight-up game-winning in some situations.

The tech-switch that bothers me most is between Paladin and Elite Step Lancer. Onager v Heavy Scorpion is another one.

im not sure i agree with your examples ^^ why would you go from paladin to SL???

another issue with the sword line… how expensive it is to tech switch for such situational results

2 Likes

They’re cheaper, and their range can be useful. Much more cost-effective against halbedier, as far as I can tell. I know you’re joking about the fact that SL are generally considered one of the worst units in the game. I actually think a mix of knights & step-lancers is more powerful than either unit on its own.

The reason these transitions bother me is precisely because no one would ever transition Paladin → ESL or Onager → HScorpion.

Maybe just make blacksmith techs x% cheaper for every tech already researched? could be a fun civ bonus.

I mean Chinese get a tech reduction cost

Technologies are 10%/15%/20% cheaper in the Feudal/Castle/Imperial Age.