Terrain turns into lava, icons disappear

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: 75350
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Game froze for a few seconds and my terrain was replaced by lava terrain in the middle of a ranked match

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• Less than 25% of the time / matches I play (RARELY)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Started multiplayer game, after a cpu lag spike 27 minutes in, some terrain and icons bugged out

:arrow_forward: IMAGE / TWITCH CLIP

https://www.twitch.tv/rayaoe/clip/SparklingSpikyGerbilDendiFace-XcOJj6M4fy1aHCcS

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

MP Replay v101.102.9814.0 #(75350) @2023.02.01 024714 (2).aoe2record (7.0 MB)

3 Likes

Game is a shit right now, after this hilarious Xbox update…

2 Likes

That’s not really lava, that’s more like the seventh layer of Hell… 11

1 Like

Something similar has been happening to me since early/mid January (I think). The screen freezes/goes-black for some number of seconds, and when the screen recovers the movement arrows around the cursor have disappeared. For me, it’s not that rare though (40% of the time) and is most likely to happen when I have the game full screen in 1 monitor and a video (like Youtube TV) fullscreen on another.

This is 1 of the issues I was hoping could be diagnosed by switching to the enhanced logging build since it’s fairly easy to reproduce, but it’s unfortunately out of date. The screen freeze issues have been happening since before the most recent build (#75350), and I was hoping the new build would fix it. The terrain going missing is new for me since this update, but is always preceded by the screens freezing or going black.

I’m happy to see it’s not just me.

1 Like

Hi @SisterRespecter
Do you have your graphic card driver and Windows updates up to date?
Can you try verifying integrity of game files on Steam?
Thanks for the report.

I came here to report the same bug.

Device: Windows 10 x64 Intel(R) Core™ i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz
Graphics Card: Intel UHD 630
Game version: 101.102.9814.0 (#75350) 10347837 (from Steam)

Frequency: 3 times since the xbox update 1 week ago. No prior issues.

Conditions: Bug occurs on game startup. The bug is present in the first match once the map generates and match time starts. Before closing aoe2, I reproduced the bug in Single Player. The bug is still present once it has occurred-- independent of online or offline matches. I have more if screenshots if needed. I am using no mods in any of these games. Graphics settings are low, and changing them does not appear to effect the bug.

Temporary fix: Closing aoe2 and restarting the game appears to fix the bug.

Note: All objects in the game continue to function normally. No freezing or lag. No other players reported problems in these matches. My game has also been crashing and closing out at odd times with no apparent cause. It seems the most recent update has created a lot of unintended issues with stability.

Having the same exact issue, still havent been able to play properly. Any suggestions?

I suggest doing a quick single player random map game to check if the bug is present. It happens for me when i first start aoe2 so I just open the game and click Skirmish. Start a match with the ai and see if it’s bugged. If it’s not, you’re probably okay. If it is, exit the game and restart it. It’s not perfect, but it’s quick and easy. It might be a while before the devs get to these bugs. They rushed the xbox integration, and now they are in a pretty rough situation. I assume they’re understaffed and overworked. Microsoft should HIRE MORE PEOPLE and stop alienating their customers. They’re undermining the market they’re trying to tap. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The same thins happened to me. I have a feeling though that is was a hack from my opponent as it happen right after he reached castle age and he was being kinda toxic.

1 Like

We’re already tracking this issue. Thanks for the report!

You should update your known bug list. While you’re responding to all of these comments, please consider doing an announcement on your plans to fix the bugs that were created by the xbox update. Microsoft has broken the game, and we’re all aware of it. Tell your bosses everyone knows. There’s no way to talk these problems away so spend more on support costs and move on.

1 Like

Would be incredibly helpful to have an updated dev bug list @Felizon89 rather than one maintained by @Harooooo1 . <3 for all your work Harooooo1.

I’ve reinstalled the game, reinstalled graphics drivers, considering reinstalling windows. Tough for those of us playing Nations Cup to have 7 other people have to wait for us to restart the game.

I’ve noticed some of my other applications start having graphics glitches as well after this occurs. Steam library no longer shows up, It’s not a graphics card driver reset (Win+Ctrl+Shift+B), but something similar.

1 Like

I disabled “Enable GPU accelerated rendering in web views” in steam Settings > Interface, and although this affects the steam client (and not the game itself), it seems to have stopped this issue from happening every game.

This issue would coincide with the game turning red before steam library black screen - bug? :: Help and Tips