Teutons changes +ideas

Then why is the Magyar’s +2 free attack fine? For a knight rush the Magyar knigths are going to be better than everyone else’s until players can afford more techs. Only then Teuton knights have an edge, but by this time your enemy will have pikes/camels so it’s not broken.

Seriously? Early and paladin in the same sentence? It works if the sentence is “Paladins are in no way early imp units” I guess?

I guess it could be cool, but in no way would make the unit more viable, as locking the speed buff behind even more gold expenses won’t do the unit any good.

4 Likes

Technically that’s correct, you can do fc with 3 farms if you have access to dear but you only delay further farming to research horse collar after clicking up and then build more farms while adcancing. If you hit castle having 2-3 farms you won’t have enough food to either boom or make military.

Btw hitting castle age is one of the moments where the Teuton farm bonus really shines: Assume you play a not to open map and you want to put 2 tcs down immediately, you usually struggle a lot with wood because you want to have a lot of farms asap. If you play for feudal age and go scouts you make 13/14 farms saving more than 300 wood and that’s before you might start booming on multiple tcs. Teuton eco has always been good, it was just their slow military options that prevented people from playing them for a long time.

There is also slow ways to use knights, e.g. pushing with knights and mangonels in early castle age. Works super nicely with Teutons because of those cheaper farms (=more wood to go for military buildings and siege units) and conversion resistance (best counter to that would be monks with redemption). You might think that’s a waste of mobility but having knights around your siege makes your push overall way less fragile compared to having pikes.

How do you get 9 melee armor on your Paladins? I count 7 when fully upgraded (2 base + 3 from upgrades + 2 from civ bonus).

2 Likes

They have fast fire ships and heavy demos, although their galleons are worse and no dry dock or shipwright, some civs who do have those plus bracer are missing fast fire instead or the heavy demo.

1 Like

Yeah, my bad, I meant 7. A typo on my part.

7 Melee Armour is still a lot. Best paladin in the game now.

Do you think it’s balanced right now though? would making blast furnace give the +1 help at all?

Blast Furnace is already strong. No need to buff such a largely spread upgrade, or else civs that do not have it, would be at a huge disavantage. Malians already complain that Farimba is basically just a +3, because they do not get Blast Furnace, if you make at basic +2, they ill ask for Blast Furnace back.

Same with Byzantines, which are balanced on their Halbs and Heavy Camels not having BF, but if you buff it, it will be a huge nerf to Byzantines ciounter units, as the discount will not be that big of a deal.

No need to mess around with basic gameplay elements that have stood the test of time.

2 Likes