The diversity in civ choices is poor

I personally would’ve liked to see another civ like Japan instead of having both Abassid and Sultanate which have kind of similar flavor to me personally, but that’s very subjective of course. Really excited about HRE, and possible future civ additions!

2 Likes

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, a great share of the playerbase prefers the eurocentric approach. I think that’s why the devs went that way. If the base game doesn’t succeed, there won’t even be a chance for expansions.

2 Likes

Even more than that- which among them are easy to work with and easily recognizable around the world and attractive for people AND on top of that offer potential interesting gameplay.

I love the Venetian Republic but it fits more Civ or EU than a skirmish loop-based game about empires that are known for a lot of expansion through warfare.
It’s one thing to build an ‘empire’ fighting with other tribes within the same isolated group, without interactions with outsiders, another to create one that includes lands in Eurasia and Africa.

I just wanted to have 2 civs for Europe. Not that suddenly somebody would come by and say there’s not enough. You could definitely skip Spain entirely and only focus on the New World with let’s say Purépecha/Tarascans instead.

I really like your roster, top civ in each area arround the globe

1 Like

I didn’t read all the replies, there is too many. Idk if someone already said this, but judging the amount of DLCs they did for AoE2, this game will be full of civs in the future. Just be prepared for paying a lot more lol

1 Like

They’ve done such an amazing job with the civs in the base game. Making each civ feel unique compared to the previous games is something they really succeeded with. I would, of course, like to see more options as well, but I don’t mind waiting for them, just because the current civs are so different from one another.

4 Likes

This is a pretty good list. I would change Mexica with Aztec or the Aztec Triple Alliance though simply because Mexica =/= Aztec. Only Tenochcas (from Tenochtitlan) and Tlatelolcans (from Tlatelolco) are Mexica, this exludes the Texcocans who were Acolhuans and Tlacopan who were Tepanecs which were the other members of the triple alliance which collectively formed the empire. It also excludes the other cities in the valley many of which are also considered ‘Aztecs’. Unless we use the nahuatl term they called their state: Excan Tlatoloyan, which is essentially the Triple Alliance.

1 Like

I think I understand why they chose the civs they did since it’s for the campaigns…but I think they could have picked different campaigns. We had Joan of Arc and Genghis Khan in AOE2.

Maybe they have plans within 6 months of release to come out with DLC. Don’t be so negative lol

2 Likes

We are to measure the game’s quality based not on the information they have shown us but based instead on our imagination when assuming all unknown facts in the light most favorable to the game?

1 Like

The topic is not constructive and I think i can say that the game will expand with DLC. Maybe not a 6 month deadline but overall the diversity in the eyes of OP becomes less of an issue as time advances.

4 Likes

I think its impossible to properly measure the game rn based solely on limited info and a few short trailers. Beta testers might have a better idea on the state of the game but they are under NDA.

Its fine to make predictions and speculate. However a lot of people seem to just be making assumptions, those aren’t the same things. I feel a lot of people are judging the game too early. I think people should wait for reviews and gameplay to make an informed decision on this game.

2 Likes

Last time I heard a game doesn’t have enough diversity Battlefield 5 happened.

3 Likes

Understood.

I understand the needs people will ask of a game like AoE 4.

Was the world not eurocentric? Was it not the europeans who ended up conqueriring america and colonizing parts of africa and asia? And then there’s the holy crusade
You could say, but oh, it’s before america is conquered… But then what does those have to do in a medieval game? It wouldnt make much sense for native indians to fight medieval europe.
Besides, the devs said that they are trying to be historical… Well we know very little of america during the medieval ages compared to europe. Even those writings we do have are largely transcribed by the conquerors into their own language because those text were heathen.

There is no historical way sensible way to make medieval europe should these. And a medieval game solely focused in america wouldnt make much sense either.

Now I really don’t care about history in a game. I think native americans, africans and so on would be really fun to implement. But everytime I tell someone talking about history that a game should be about maximizing the fun and playability and variation, they tell me “but aoe is a historical game”. Idk, i don’t think aoe ever have been very historically accurate. It’s more like historically inspired. Now they are telling me jeanne d’arc was a feminist icon. So they’ll probably be making her into a strong warrior in the game, while she really prefered carrying flag and avoiding fighting. She didnt call herself jeanne d’arc . She relied upon being a virgin. She has been abused as an image politically by both right and left side for peoples own agenda after her death. But only outside of france did she ever get widespread acceptance to be something that could be called feminist icon. Stealing her for politics is literally cultural appropriation.

4 Likes

I prefer “only” 8 civs with a good balancing 1000 times over having 15 different civs and a game that’s impossible to balance!

5 Likes

She didn’t have to kill people to warrant being a character people love. Her entire story is filled with intrigue and dramatic turns. Including her eventual capture and trial. Here’s an excerpt:

“After years of one humiliating defeat after another, both the military and civil leadership of France were demoralized and discredited. When the Dauphin Charles granted Joan’s urgent request to be equipped for war and placed at the head of his army, his decision must have been based in large part on the knowledge that every orthodox, every rational option had been tried and had failed. Only a regime in the final straits of desperation would pay any heed to an illiterate farm girl who said that the voice of God was instructing her to take charge of her country’s army and lead it to victory.”

Regardless of whether she killed people with a sword, what mattered was her sheer rallying image to the French people. She was integral in restoring the sovereignty of France. Why wouldn’t feminists and women in general look up to her? A person with humble beginnings taking part in history.

France has very much accepted her as an important historical figure to them. You can see this in the amount of statues they’ve erected all over the country.

5 Likes

I’m not complaining about the amount, I’m complaining about the choices. Two completely different things.

Why is it? I’m just saying that you could definitely have wider picks

I’m not asking for a black woman with prosthetes fighting for Nazi Germany. I’m asking for not half of the civ picks being European when there’s better picks.

It’s about generally the civs they picked. Of course they’re more asymmetric than they have been in AOE2, but come on, why 4 for Europe?

Yeah… I’m just gonna say, stuff like this is impossible to even take seriously. No one in their right mind would even consider a medieval game without either the English or the French in them.

As for the the thread, I can only re-iterate my opinion: I think the civ choices are excellent, and cover a wide area for what can be afforded with only 8 civs.

7 Likes