The game feels incomplete

I was lucky to try the game during the beta, and there were things that were missing. It was understandable, since in a trial period other things are more important.

The problem is that today, the full version still has missing, such as the model for the Egyptian house Tool Age, or the wrong icons for the academy, different from those shown in the technological tree.
In addition some animations are very precarious, like the attack of armored elephant.
It’s missing content, it’s not an error or bug.

@korowizard said:
I was lucky to try the game during the beta, and there were things that were missing. It was understandable, since in a trial period other things are more important.

The problem is that today, the full version still has missing, such as the model for the Egyptian house Tool Age, or the wrong icons for the academy, different from those shown in the technological tree.
In addition some animations are very precarious, like the attack of armored elephant.
It’s missing content, it’s not an error or bug.

The swordsman is worst animation. Specially Long swordsman don’t look like authentic swing.

@korowizard said:
or the wrong icons for the academy, different from those shown in the technological tree.

In the Technology Tree, I’ve noticed that the icon of the Armored Elephant is missing the golden aura, to match the other Iron Age improvements like the Legion, the Heavy Horse Archer, the Centurion, etc. The icon of the Ballista Tower is missing it as well.

The Scythe Chariot had a golden aura in the original AoE. But, looking at the Technology Tree, it makes sense that it’s been removed.

Also, regarding content, a few of the maps of the campaigns–the ones that appear with the instructions–are too “zoomed out.” For example, in the Ascent of Egypt Campaign, the initial scenarios, which actions happen in the Nile Delta, could show this region more closely.

On the same subject, many maps also have really small labels, making it hard to discern what is written in them.

By the way, what do you think about the new campaign history texts, as compared to the original ones?

Cheers

@Juliankhamun said:

By the way, what do you think about the new campaign history texts, as compared to the original ones?

Cheers

I think the new texts on the map that accompany the campaign are small and illegible. Those of the original version were white and large. Another thing that I prefer from the original version, were the units and elements on the map. The new one is too simple.

Many things are missing, like corpse decay, promised pathfinding, and all what was said there, things have barely evolved from the beta, and things are evolving really slowly… I hope it’s not because all devs went on Age2 DE… that would be good riot reasons if they want we trust them again on a new game while the first is still unfinished. Ok, the game is not so bad, but many things should be fixed by now.

I missing the option to call all villagers inside your Home Town, everytime I was attacked I couldn’t save the villagers because there’s no “alert” button on the game.

Hello everyone, I’m not too sure if I’m on the correct place to post about it, but I’ve gotta a question for this game.
I have the others versions of Age Of Empire from Steam.
I played over there and always when I was being attacked I select my Village Center and there was a button over there that was able to me to “safeguard” all my villages nearby.
Well, I was playing this Definitive Edition and I couldn’t find this option.
Was that removed?
Am I need to activate something to make it happens?
Definitive Edition has no option to gather all villagers on the Village Center?
Please, let me know about it. Take care, Sincerely,
CarlosEAlmeida

@CarlosEAlmeida said:
Hello everyone, I’m not too sure if I’m on the correct place to post about it, but I’ve gotta a question for this game.
I played over there and always when I was being attacked I select my Village Center and there was a button over there that was able to me to “safeguard” all my villages nearby.
Was that removed?
CarlosEAlmeida

Hi @CarlosEAlmeida, there is no garrison or town bell feature in AoE:DE.

@CarlosEAlmeida said:
Was that removed?
CarlosEAlmeida

Hi @CarlosEAlmeida, I believe the garrison command is only available on “Age of Empires 2” and above. This Definitive Edition is a reissue of AoE 1, which didn’t have this feature.

Cheers

You’ll need to have a strategy to protect your villagers somehow, either a tower, wall or building block, or military.

@CarlosEAlmeida Age of Empires 1 never had this option, it was not removed and it just continues to not be a thing in the AoE1:Definite Edition remaster.

I also find the blood that comes after units are killed too be very poor, it looks the same too all. And for immiersive reason i hopes ballista craters are gone change to a actully ballista instead of a stone crater.

@FarkasMan87 said:
I also find the blood that comes after units are killed too be very poor, it looks the same too all. And for immiersive reason i hopes ballista craters are gone change to a actully ballista instead of a stone crater.

Immersion in this game ?

I think we’ll have a more immersive game with AOE 4.

There is still the God’s Eye view of a battlefield, and yes, spilled paint blood makes it look less like a battlefield and more like a messy art studio :wink:

Imo these small details can be changed, but I wonder if they left out decay effects due to the extra work required to make it?

There are still many things missing - too many if you ask me. Path finding is actually worse than the original, for instance, woodcutter sometimes walk around entire forests, just to get to the other side of it. That is just very frustrating and annoying. This did not happen in the original. Why is the path finding so hard to fix?

During the beta they stated that path finding was so broken because they introduced a lot of extra turning angles to make everything look much smoother and give it sort of a 3D feel. IMO, doing this was a big mistake and created a ton of extra work and problems. And I don’t think anyone cares at this point. I mean, look at Age 2, I think that game has the same amount of angles as the original Age 1 and I don’t think many people have a problem with that.

I would much rather have a game that may not have as many unit angles, but does have good path finding. Also, the original game has different animations depending on the angle a unit is facing. I think this was really cool and I am kinda sad that in DE all the animations are the same.

Also, as pointed out already, many graphics are simply missing. This is kinda unacceptable as well. Makes it look even more like an unfinished game.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love AoE 1 DE, but these issues are just meh.

I know money and time are an issue, but, this does not create a lot of faith with the community. Especially those who are looking out for AoE 2 DE.

Problems to solve:
The game does not have animations of decomposing bodies on the ground as in its old version, it is a nuisance not knowing that dead animals still have meat …
The AI of the units is regrettable.
There are no farm queues.
The hero Jason no longer has his Egyptian design.
The fish of shores and those of open sea have the same model.
The water looks terrible in puddles.
At least I get hit by fps, it does not feel fluid …

Beside what was already said (like corpse decay, path finding, farm queues, different fish models), I think the game needs a way to scale different parts of the UI separately. Either everything is small or everything is big. That is stupid.

Also, features like Unit formations, maps descriptions, ranked multiplayer, more maps, MODS for God’s sake.

It does not feel incomplete, it IS incomplete. Also, what kind of opening is that? There is no animation, just the logo. It looks more like the THX intro than the Age of Empires intro.

Now, about the mods: according to a guy called MattP, on the Age:DE reddit, Microsoft could be thinking about bringing mods and there is no way around it until they decide to do it.

“Because AoE:DE is a UWP application some of the rules have changed. All of the files that ship with the game are locked in a read only bundle behind the “WindowsApps” folder, and there are security protections on the files. That’s how all UWP apps work - it’s like your phone where you can’t go changing a program’s files. That said, if the game is received well we’ll likely be able to release some developer tools and open up support for deeper mods beyond additional scenario/campaign content. We will have to enable it via an all new system rather than what you are used to because of the restrictions on modifying the original game’s files. Modding UWP games is a relatively new thing, and there are a few extra hoops to jump through. We hope we can eventually make that transparent for you and even provide one-click tools.”

Link for reference:

I am hopeful it will all work out in the end, I just have to not think about the fact that Microsoft is the one we depend on.

@VitaoFuzileiroZ said:
Beside what was already said (like corpse decay, path finding, farm queues, different fish models), I think the game needs a way to scale different parts of the UI separately. Either everything is small or everything is big. That is stupid.

Also, features like Unit formations, maps descriptions, ranked multiplayer, more maps, MODS for God’s sake.

It does not feel incomplete, it IS incomplete. Also, what kind of opening is that? There is no animation, just the logo. It looks more like the THX intro than the Age of Empires intro.

Now, about the mods: according to a guy called MattP, on the Age:DE reddit, Microsoft could be thinking about bringing mods and there is no way around it until they decide to do it.

“Because AoE:DE is a UWP application some of the rules have changed. All of the files that ship with the game are locked in a read only bundle behind the “WindowsApps” folder, and there are security protections on the files. That’s how all UWP apps work - it’s like your phone where you can’t go changing a program’s files. That said, if the game is received well we’ll likely be able to release some developer tools and open up support for deeper mods beyond additional scenario/campaign content. We will have to enable it via an all new system rather than what you are used to because of the restrictions on modifying the original game’s files. Modding UWP games is a relatively new thing, and there are a few extra hoops to jump through. We hope we can eventually make that transparent for you and even provide one-click tools.”

Link for reference:
reddit.com/r/aoe/comments/7z20p1/is_it_just_me_or_is_there_next_to_zero_modding/

I am hopeful it will all work out in the end, I just have to not think about the fact that Microsoft is the one we depend on.

they are really doing it wrong. Obviously the game wont be well received if they are going to be lacking simple features which the older versions did have.

if someone is asking for a peanutbuttersandwich you dont just give him the toast, and then say well if you like the toast we’ll give you the peanutbutter later. what kind of thinking is this. these managers are a joke

It’s so sad that this game is extremely pretty (prettiest rts yet along with ashes of the singularity?) has decent animations, yet the AI (very easy even on very hard, no challenge at all), the bugs (AI cavalry stuck) and the horrendously bad pathfinding (even early 90’s rts like dune 2000 had a better one) makes for a very incomplete game.