The graphics and the gameplay

Honestly, I’m a bit tired of people talking like if gameplay and graphics were two opposed extremes of the same thing, only being able to excel at one at once.

I don’t hate the graphics we’ve seen, but the scale and poor detail in units and animations is a fact. Are you telling me that adding a bit more detail and improving animations is gonna affect negatively the gameplay? How in the world would it?

I understand it with the scale, for example. I would love to see a configurable option that can tweak it a bit, like between the XO19 scale and the fan preview one, but I understand this can be a little more unlikely to get. But the level of detail and animations of units… come on, it would negatively affect zero to the gameplay.

And please, please, please: stop claiming that if AoE II DE is doing really good with concurrent players means that worse graphics are better… that’s only a blatant nonsense that I don’t know how has become recurrent in this kind of discussion. AoE II DE looks absolutely impressive for a 2D game remaster, so it’s definitely not an example of super-simplistic graphics.

1 Like

Even the original AOE2 had great graphics of its time…

2 Likes

For real. Even the very first Age of Empires had really good graphics… the only unrealistic thing was the little scale of buildings, but both the level of unit detail and even the animations that changed depending on the angle from which the unit attacked were so cool back to the day.

I don’t know since when a good level of detail and animations means bad readability and gameplay… I’m not comfortable with people absolutely raging against what we’ve seen in the Fan Preview, that’s an extreme exaggeration, but we all should be able to see the grasps of truth between every opinion.

1 Like

bad graphics
age of empires 2

choose one

And in any case, keep quiet, you must tell your friends or relatives, not those who do not agree with you.

At the fan preview they showed us the graphics, and we judge that.

And anyway, I don’t understand why it’s not possible to have nice graphics and good gameplay

1 Like