The last 2 Civs Confirmed

I am very pleased with the choice of civilizations, the Holy Empire is the biggest player in the military arena of those years, it was impossible to bypass it, and I am also very glad that the developers decided to pay attention to the Slavs and add Russia to the release, for which the Russian community is grateful. Everything is cool waiting for the beta test.

6 Likes

“Tout est cool en attendant le test bêta.” Oui il ne manque plus que lui :sweat_smile:

I know they were all in the HRE, which is exactly my point. Italy and Germany were and still are very culturally, politically and economically distinct as well as geographically divided from Germany by the Alps. Italy was also separate from the other post-Charlemagne realms (it was a Kingdom within the HRE just like Germany and Bohemia). The Emperor typically wielded little power over Italy, especially if the Pope did not like him. Having 2 separate factions for Germany and Italy would be very fitting as well as historically adequate. For much of the middle ages, Italy was not bound to Germany. I doubt that HRE faction will have many, if any Italian aspects within it and if it will, something tells me there are many people who will dislike that much more than I do, namely, Italians.

4 Likes

Je suis d’accord avec toi techniquement il faisait partie du même empire, mais il ne faut pas oublier que bien qu’il devait respecté une autorité supérieure a eux (Charlemagne) ils possédaient tout de même une certaine liberté. Selon le contrat féodal qu’ils avaient ils pouvait ou non déclarer la guerre, commerces… à une autre nation sans forcément l’aval de l’Empereur, car bien que Charlemagne était un puissant empereur Français il ne pouvait géré à lui seul tout un empire.

Et sans oublier qu’avant les conquêtes de charlemagne la Germanie et l’Italie avais des identités culturel bien à eux.

1 Like

well I, for one, am relieved they announced all 8 civs. really disappointing they added the Rus. to choose them at the expense of so many better choices is tough to see

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s mostly about pleasing the Eastern European crowd. With a bit luck, one of the first DLCs are going to be the Aztecs or Maya if the game is solid and fun enough to be profitable in terms of DLCs. Else it doesn’t matter anyway and nothing is lost :man_shrugging:

1 Like

On the other hand, there’s a lot of other world places first to cover before the Italian peninsula. Nothing against Italians, but I would really dig a Maya faction.

1 Like

I’m disappointed that they didn’t add the Byzantium empire however something tells me they will be one of the first to come out as a DLC pack later down the road.

Still excited to play this game :slight_smile: October can’t come soon enough!

7 Likes

“Congratulations, our game succeeded! Here’s some brown civs we were too afraid to make at first.”

5 Likes

The Russian community of the game is large enough, and the role of Russia in the history of Europe is very great, including in conjunction with the Mongol invasion, it was impossible not to add Russia, besides, the game already has as many as three factions of Western Europe and for balance you need at least one country from the east (Poland or Russia), and we do not forget that AoE 4 is not going to make 60 factions and each faction should be more unique than just having one unit in the castle. Personally, I expect American nations in the DLC and it would be logical to add Byzantium with Turkey in one of the DLCs.

11 Likes

OK. I’m a white guy from america. That doesn’t mean I want the white guy from america civ in AoE4. I want to play a game that is designed by people who researched world history and who have the courage to tell their fans who were the important civilizations. Age of Empires has a tremendous reputation. There is real rhetorical power in who its developers choose for civs. It’s not supposed to be a 10-second decision based on what countries are powerful in 2021.

6 Likes

I have been saying it would be Rus and HRE.
They were the ones that made the most sense., It literally daws a circle on the world map.

Sorry, but if you go to a History book, all the “actually important” civilizations were Eurasian. They are the ones that mostly shaped global culture.

If you wanted the devs to show the “actually important” civs, then they have done so, they have granted your request.

This would be a modern political position, not a historical one.

8 Likes

That is, in your opinion, Russia was not a historically important state in medieval Europe? Wars with the Turks, Mongols, Poles, the conquest of the Crimean Khanate, and so on. And I’m not even talking about the fact that Novgorod was the center of the trade routes of the east, Kievan Rus became the center of the Orthodox world after the fall of Byzantium, many kremlins were built and made a great contribution to the history of Eastern Europe, as well as Russia reflected the campaigns of the Germans. And all this is not a significant civilization?

8 Likes

We must accept the fact that the developers might limit the amount of civilizations in this game to a lower number than we expect if they want to keep every civ as unique play style.

You can only do that X amount of times before going into the same water again. This will of course start an outcry, but I rather have unique civs playing different from each other than having copy paste only to have them in game and provide nothing to it.

1 Like

I understand that you believe the scope of AoE4 is mainly Europe. You and I differ in a fundamental question that is irreconcilable, so I don’t expect either of us to change the opinion of the other.

3 Likes

Well, not that much.
Rus’ was really backward compared to Europe and Mideast and became actually relevant after the Middle Ages. Most of the achievements u’ve mentioned belong to the AOE 3.

1 Like

The question is not whether the Rus were a historically important civilization during our era. They were.

The question is whether the Rus were one of the top 8 most historically important civilizations during our era. They were not. Not even close.

2 Likes

I love the fallacy “it couldn’t be another way”.
Yes, it could. Devs made a choice do to it this way, they choice makes sense even with me disliking that. But it is perfectly possible to choose another civ pool. It’s a CHOICE, not a RULE that made AOE 4 start with that 8 civs.

1 Like