The Malay Fish Trap change

Yeah… these buffs… I’m not even going to waste time talking about them lol

Malay age-up bonus is mostly awakward to use for the advance to feudal age on open maps, otherwise it’s always super good. I mean why do y’all think Malay are an S tier Arena civ?

Malay are probably the most underrated civ in the entire game, and the loss of infinite fish traps is nothing compared to what is now 40% cheaper elephants. It’s maddening.

The win loss ration in general games doesn’t tell the whole story, in a competitive environment the Malay faster age bonuses means they have a lot of legs up on a wide variety of maps that’s difficult to combat, such as having that first fire ship out almost a minute earlier on water maps, having the first monk out almost two minute earlier on Arena, and a list of others.

And I promise you it doesn’t matter that the Malay eles are missing so much armor. With that armor loss in mind they have the same pierce as a Champion, cost about twice as much as a Champion, is teched into easier, and as a result, has about four times the HP. Combined with the Arbalest (FU from Malay) this push is mental. It was good at 30%. Now it got better.

1 Like

On paper, it’s a nerf, in reality it’s really really small nerf and occasional nerf, that it’s more than compensate by their new buffs.

2 Likes

For reference, the Malay Elite Battle Elephants cost almost the same as Elite Steppe Lancers now.

This is pretty significant because Malay always lacked a power unit.

The Karambit Warrior is my least favourite UU, I’m just throwing it out there.

2 Likes

The Karambit was a nightmare unit on release and it got nerfed pretty heavily as a result. The only difference between that unit that needed nerfing and the unit that’s in Beta is it has one more melee armor and one less pierce armor.

That’s a significant downgrade for most situations in my eyes (pierce is always a bigger factor in my estimation), but it means it’ll survive one extra hit against Elite Eagles and Champions, generic with full upgrades, which can be a big deal when there’s 142 of them and all those instances of surviving an extra hit adds up. Once you count in the Karambit’s bonus against Eagles, this is a seriously problematic anti-eagle raiding unit.

1 Like