The multiplayer system just sucks

I mean something like top 5% and bottom 5% of the players. All other 90% will most likely dont have big differences. How closer you are to the top or bottom the more likely it is that you big elo gaps between players. Around the average rating (1050), this probability is pretty small. Only exceptions seems to be if you play against someone with very few games (Than the difference is sometimes a bit bigger, but still not 200+ rating) or if you are some time in the queue (this will make the range bigger, since there are no players inside you range)

I assume you are talking about Ranked 1v1’s and not about Ranked TG’s or Quick play. To quickly explain those:

• TGs: In most team games the differences are bigger, because you need more players in the same match. The queueing time is a big longer, so the range in which match making looks is also a bit bigger.
  • Quick play: Quick play isnt matched based on rating (as far as i know), it is just random. So yeah, in quick play you will end up with bigger elo differences. 700-800 points difference isnt strange for quick play. This is why the design of quick play is very bad. I made my own thread about this issue: