The new AI is (still) bugged on hard difficulty with a population limit of 500

Game Version:

• Build (34397)
  • Platform (Steam)

Issue:

The new AI is utterly confused on hard difficulty (or lower) with a population limit of 500 on a ludicrous map. It doesn’t boom, it doesn’t expand its military very much and it seems to stay under a population limit of 170 despite the actual limit being 500.
Note that this issue doesn’t occur on hardest difficulty where the AI plays exactly as expected.

Reproduction Steps:

Based on my testing, I believe the issue is present for any standard game on any map with any civ and for difficulty setting at hard or lower as long as the population limit is set to 500. But just in case here are some settings that I’ve personally verified to reproduce the bug:

1. 500 population limit
  2. Ludicrous map size
  3. AI difficulty either Hard
  4. Yucatan map
  5. Conquest victory
  6. Standard resources
  7. AI playing Korean or Celts

Disclaimer:
PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS NOT A BALANCE CONCERN. IT IS A VERY CLEAR BUG THAT MAKES THE AI ON HARD WAY EASIER THAN INTENDED.

Here is an example of a game I played. As you can kind of tell by the pictures I let the AI do its thing for more than an hour before making any sort of advancements against them. Yet their economy is incredibly poor, they never built a large army and they never come anywhere close to utilizing the population limit. Thus once you engage them they predictably go down incredibly easy.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: AI Stops Working In Multiplayer Games