The New Boyar Vs Best Paladins?

I think they changed to have Boyars and Knight line have the same pierce armor though

1 Like

They don’t have nearly the same HP as a frankish paladin. They go down a lot faster.

i don’t know if i would say melt. it still takes 50 shots to take a boyar down. which is better then almost anything that isn’t a paladin, tarkan, or keshik.

only 10 shots faster.

4 Likes

I would say that the Cavalier would actually melt

Imagine them facing a wall of of halberdiers and archers. The Boyar would end slaughtered charging into that. It will only become cost-effective if they have a continuous trade line in a team game.

well yeah, but that has a lot more to do with the halbs then with the archers. same reason paladins would lose in that situation.
you can’t sit there and tell me that a unit which requires 50 shots to die is “bad against archers”.
if 50 shots to die is bad against archers, then every cavalry that isn’t paladin is bad against archers. is that seriously what you’re going to tell me?

1 Like

You are right they used to be totally awful. They only buffed them relatively recently against archers. Since the Slavs had almost nothing to counter archers other than expensive siege onagers.

So nowadays they are decent, but not the go to unit against archers.

I wasn’t aware that they buffed Slavs. The reason I never pick Slavs is because their terrible weakness vs archers.

That update was OVER A YEAR AGO.
also not sure how a civ with elite skirm with full defense upgrades can be said to have nothing against archers.

2 Likes

Yes, archers and onagers can at least be used as an effective fighting force in general. On the other hand, halbs are pretty much not.

1 Like

no, the point is one requires gold to beat, and the other does not.

1 Like

That is also a good point. But being forced into making halbs is actually not good from a practical point of view. First of all Slavs have a multitude of good answers to halbs, second, even if you do win the engagement, you cant do anything with your halbs afterwards. I’d much rather face off against TK 10/10 times than this new Boyar.

Not to mention if you are a civ that has no camels and doesn’t have halbs you’re in even more of a pain :smiley:

1 Like

Pikes and Halbs haven’t been change because of this. even with 6 armor they still only did 1 damage base to boyars. All of the damage is bonus damage so they are just are effecient as before. Halbs need 5 hits to kill both Paladin and boyar the paladin has 30 more hp but takes 5 more damage due to lower melee armor compared to boyar, same with pikemen: 7 hits to kill both

here are a list of the civs that don’t have heavy camel and don’t have halberdier.
Aztecs - who have +4 attack on pikes and can mass them up faster.
Italians - who have a unique unit that does bonus damage to cavalry.
Vikings - who have a unique tech that makes their pikes do extra damage to cavalry of +5, and have extra HP on their pikes too.

of those the one i feel bad about is Italians.

2 Likes

I have actually never seen Boyars in the game. Seems to be a major buff.

1 Like

I would call that pierce armor buff to be major. That made them viable. They were seen here and there in long team games.

That is a 25% damage reduction when facing Arbalests, that’s a pretty solid buff.

I don’t know, EGC would melt the Boyar, and since they are both UU no unit has a huge production advantage

1 Like

New Boyar has the same primary benefit over paladin that it did previously. It takes only 60s to upgrade compared to paladin which takes like 220s with conscription and 270 without. Not to mention it’s cheaper to get so you’re more likely to be able to afford that power spike. An extra 2.5-3.5 minutes of paladins running around can do some serious damage and now the extra melee armor can help justify that power spike.

I have a feeling if a pro player really planned out that imperial age power spike it would be crazy impressive.

1 Like

Wow I’m so smart to send Hussars to an unit that’s designed to be heaviliy armored at battle, what a smart move man, next time bring here the number of hits that a Halb needs to kill a TK to meassure the OPness, what a dumb thing.

4 Likes

The other way round. If enemy has a lot of Hussars, just send a few Elite Boyars, instead of some Halberdiers.