The new graphics: Colors and visual feedback

I love the graphical overhaul and the new models in general, but I have two specific key issues. I want to hear what you guys think about this and if this is something we should push for to be looked at before release.

1: Where did all the colors go? The new color scheme seems a bit bland and lack the vibrant feel of the original. This reminds me a lot of the coloring in the semi-recently released Cossacks 3, and frankly that game got pretty dull to look at after a while (it’s still a good rts though). I have always described the art-syle in AoE as ‘realistic yet colorful’, but in DE it seems to be ‘realistic and kind of monotone’. This also further compounds my second issue.

2: Units and buildings seems to blend into the background a lot more than they used to. The visual feedback is not as crisp as in the original and that can make larger battles or just mixed armies feel more messy to perceive than they should. This might be because of the coloring, AA method, other filters or simply the new textures. As you know visual feedback is incredibly important in an RTS and the crisper the game looks the better it will feel to play over time. Units and buildings in particular need to stand out more - it’s a game not a static picture.

Let me know what you guys think. I hope there is some tweaking that can be done to make the game look crisper and more colorful (careful not to overdo it of course) without having to actually redo any assets.

The graphics have the right lighting and there is perfect balance. I see no blending and perfect 2d scale.

See trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyPlECHiXcM

@GepardenKalle said:
I love the graphical overhaul and the new models in general, but I have two specific key issues. I want to hear what you guys think about this and if this is something we should push for to be looked at before release.

1: Where did all the colors go? The new color scheme seems a bit bland and lack the vibrant feel of the original. This reminds me a lot of the coloring in the semi-recently released Cossacks 3, and frankly that game got pretty dull to look at after a while (it’s still a good rts though). I have always described the art-syle in AoE as ‘realistic yet colorful’, but in DE it seems to be ‘realistic and kind of monotone’. This also further compounds my second issue.

2: Units and buildings seems to blend into the background a lot more than they used to. The visual feedback is not as crisp as in the original and that can make larger battles or just mixed armies feel more messy to perceive than they should. This might be because of the coloring, AA method, other filters or simply the new textures. As you know visual feedback is incredibly important in an RTS and the crisper the game looks the better it will feel to play over time. Units and buildings in particular need to stand out more - it’s a game not a static picture.

Let me know what you guys think. I hope there is some tweaking that can be done to make the game look crisper and more colorful (careful not to overdo it of course) without having to actually redo any assets.

Well, I love the original brilliant colors too, but don’t think the new ones we saw in the video would be a problem. The new ones seems to me a bit more realistic, and I have to say that the visuals and scale of Age of Empires are A LOT better, larger and more detailed/artistic than in Cossacks 3, where are tinier and less-detailed. In AoE, the combat and unit movement is more ‘‘artistic’’, slow, enjoyable.

In the second term, I think that the new building/unit visual with the background is more natural and realistic. On the other hand, you will be able to play AoE Definitive Edition with classic graphics too :stuck_out_tongue:

i just hope they will have amazing death animations unlike cossacks 3 in which they suck badly

so far looking the screenshots of AOE DE, it looks fine for me but would love to see some gameplay as well

they have done a decent job with the old genie engine

AoE2 has better gameplay, but I always liked AoE1 more thanks to its ancient atmosphere.
I remember when I have played this game for the very first time, it was mission Opening Moves in demo in 800x600 on my almost new Win98 Duron machine. I have enjoyed every little piece of progress when I converted first villagers from enemy tribe. Then I fell back to safe corner of a map and started building my town to soon explore and conquer the whole map. This experience is closely connected to the immersive feeling of burning sun heating up the soil of a rising empire.
You could feel the heat of Roman roofs, fresh water in Egyptian town centre, shine of marching army’s shields.
And I think the atmosphere of this remaster is degraded due to faded colors. Everything here looks like it’s cloudy all the time.
Anyway, new models are stunning and marine battles will look gorgeous with such water. But the color scheme disappointed me at the first look on the trailer.