The [Pontonnier] a New Unique Unit for the French and [Bridges] a New General Structure on Certain Maps

Hello fellow Age of Empires 3 players!
I came up with this idea of a new unique military unit that can be trained by the French from the Artillery Foundry. I would really appreciate your feedback concerning this unit because it could tip the balance of the game. With the help of your feedback additional adjustments can be made to this unit so that it won’t be overpowered if it ever gets added to the game in the future.

Edit: I have made some new changes to this post where I have rewritten some things. Therefore the text that I have removed does no longer apply for this discussion anymore, unless the ideas described in the deleted text can be adjusted in some way which can make them realisable.

[French]

Pontonnier: “*Siege unit that can build bridges faster than other builders. Good against Heavy Infantry, Cavalry and Buildings.” (In-game description)

The Pontonnier will be available from the [Artillery Foundry] once reaching the [Fortress Age]. They will behave similar to a [Musketeer] but also be classified as a Siege Unit as well, however, they will only have half the attack range of a Musketeer and occupy 2 population slots.

Aside from being a Musketeer-like Siege Unit with multipliers against Heavy Infantry, their other advantage is that they can build [Bridges] faster than other units. [Bridges] will be a new general structure that will be featured on certain maps just like with the [Trading Post].

And before I continue I want to give a shout-out to @M00Z1LLA who provided this idea of building general bridges on the map, which was his response to my original idea that wasn’t perhaps the best idea: Where only this [Pontonnier] unit and the Europeans could build Pontoon Bridges that would function either as structures built across the water or as boats where each of these units would function as mobile bridge sections that can be connected with each other thus creating a walkable platform anywhere on the map with water.

[Bridges] will have fixed construction points so a player cannot build a Bridge wherever they want. In addition the building time for the bridges could take a considerable amount of time before reaching completion and be rather costly to build as well. This will serve as a trade-off so that they will not become easily exploitable. One other thing that will set this structure apart from the [Trading Post] is that regardless who built it the bridge won’t belong to any player, therefore it cannot be deleted. The only way to “delete” it is through destroying the bridge with other military units.

If a player happens to destroy a bridge while enemy units are traversing on it this will lead to the same result as when Ships transporting units are sunken, where any unit that is on the bridge that has been destroyed, including allies, will die instantly. [Explorers] and other Hero units who happens to be on the bridge as it collapses can be ransomed by paying [Mother Nature].

Going back to the Pontonnier, they are based on the military unit with same name who served Napoleon Bonaparte mainly as bridge builders. They helped the emperor to get his forces across water obstacles by erecting pontoon bridges and their skills allowed Bonaparte to outflank enemy positions by crossing rivers where the enemy least expected it. The Pontonnier were apparently instrumental during an event known as the “Great Retreat from Moscow” where they saved Napoleon and his army from complete annihilation at Beresina.

They may not have been given the same glory as the other soldiers, but Bonaparte clearly valued his Pontonniers and had 14 companies commissioned into his armies according to the information stated on “Napoleon Guide” (Pontonniers : Bridge Builders : French : Napoleonic Wars : Napoleon Bonaparte : Bonaparte's Army).

The French could be given a upgrade for their Musketeers instead of this Pontonnier unit where they will be renamed to “Pontonnier”, but I really think that the [Pontonnier] deserves the spot of becoming a new unique unit for the French civilisation in order to praise these underrated soldiers from the past.

pontonniers16qu

550;349;869f4bb9832b5496181d68b2e3b515d78dddecb6

Probably the engine doesn’t support building bridges

Probably the engine doesn’t support building bridges

If that is the case would it be possible if the [Pontonnier] were able to train boats near water that would function as bridges, or will that also not work for the engine?

They could instead build [Pontoon Boats], which is a sea craft, if building bridges are impossible for the game to handle.

Don’t quite understand how your “boats that function as bridges” differs from building bridges.

1 Like

Don’t quite understand how your “boats that function as bridges” differs from building bridges.

Let’s take the train for example, the train is a transporting vehicle that consists of multiple of wagons that are connected to each other.

This is what I am trying to convey about making “boats that function as bridges” where each bridge section trained by the [Pontonnier] will function as a boat in-game that can connect with another pontoon section, essentially creating a mobile platform unit instead of a building that units can walk on.

To simplify it even further it will literary be a unit that other units can walk on.

Bridges shouldn’t be a feature limited to one unit of one faction. They’d be more suited to a map feature with fixed construction points like Trade Posts.

2 Likes

Bridges shouldn’t be a feature limited to one unit of one faction. They’d be more suited to a map feature with fixed construction points like Trade Posts.

The same could be said about the [Fixed Gun] that is only available to the Maltese, I may not know a lot about the history for the placement of fixed cannons at coastal lines or other places, but the Maltese were not the only ones who used fixed cannons. So why should they be the only civilisation that gets access to the [Fixed Gun]?

How about this maybe we can give this bridge building feature to every European civilisation in the game where they can be trained from the [Docks], but the French can alternatively train these pontoon platforms through the [Pontonnier] unit?

Fixed guns should have stayed in the campaign. Malta seems to be an attempt to cram in everything from the campaigns regardless of whether or not it fits in supremacy.

Limiting it to Europeans unnecessarily disadvantages all other civs. And a Pontonier is way too niche to justify being an additional unit. It’s basically just one role of a Sapper or Pioneer.

If you instead made bridges have fixed construction points, all civs would have access. Stone bridges could even be generated as part of some maps and provide destructable crossing points for land units or barriers for ships.

If you instead made bridges have fixed construction points, all civs would have access. Stone bridges could even be generated as part of some maps and provide destructable crossing points for land units or barriers for ships.

I like this idea! it would certainly be cool if there were other buildable structures on the map aside from the [Trading Post]. I saw afterwards that you mentioned this idea in your first comment and I managed to miss that as I was responding to you, it was therefore a blunder on my part. I fully support this idea of yours instead!

I have rewritten my original post where I have included this idea of yours and given you a shout-out as well.

And a Pontonier is way too niche to justify being an additional unit. It’s basically just one role of a Sapper or Pioneer.

The Pontonnier won’t only be niche in a certain role it will also be effective against Cavalry in melee and counter Heavy Infantry at range, as I stated in the post above, but the attack range of the [Pontonnier] will be 6 or less. However this doesn’t necessarily have to be their other advantages as a Siege Unit trained from the [Artillery Foundry].

The Russian [Oprichnik] is a very niche unit but they can at least counter artillery units, aside from being a villager raiding unit and a building destroyer.

I think you’re not getting the part where having units walk on top of others would require engine rewrites. I still don’t understand how making them boats instead of bridges solves any issue in that respect.

1 Like

I think you’re not getting the part where having units walk on top of others would require engine rewrites. I still don’t understand how making them boats instead of bridges solves any issue in that respect.

It seems that you are jumping to your own conclusions as to how I think. When I replied to your first comment I only interpreted it as that you did not understand what I was trying to say, so I did my best to explain it in a way that could be easily understood.

I certainly did not think about the complexity of having units walk on top of others, I was focused on giving a different explanation to you so that you would understand the idea that I had in mind. The reason as for why I talked about the alternative idea of making these bridges into boats is because I did not know if making structures across the water would work or not, that is why I came up with this other idea of making these bridges into boats if that would work better for the game.

I don’t talk in a manner where everything that I convey is set in stone, I am simply sharing my ideas that are not in the best state yet where they can be fully realised but they can be if they are properly adjusted.

De hecho puede ser posible la construcción de puentes en aoe 3 De acuérdense que en la misión de los fuertes de Saratoga de la campaña de Nathaniel Black el ejercito de kuechler pasara por un puente hecho de barcos, quizás esos puentes puedan ser construidos para dar más posibilidades estratégicas.

(Aunque en una unidad general que estaba pensando para todas las civs europeas, usa y México, es la del zapador)

Yes, not that it was the aoe 4 xd…