The Spanish rework

I always wanted to give Spanish the Crossbowmen.
Given that their Fletch doesn’t cost gold, this makes their early game more flexible, not tied to FC Conquistadors, and doesn’t affect the late game as Crossbowmen won’t be powerful enough by then.

Cannon Galleons’ fast projectiles are visually weird. It’s even faster than Spanish own Bombard Tower and Bombard Cannon. Actually this bonus is only helpful for attacking ships, but there are very few occasions where this is needed. It would be good to be replaced with a new Cannon Galleon bonus, such as cheaper, faster, or free elite upgrades.

Missing xbows is the only hole in spanish tree, I wouldnt give them for free

What about Spanish losing Thumbring and paladins but getting xbows and arbalests ? Since I dont want to reduce the number of civs with paladin or without xbow:

• Italians: get paladins, lose champions, crop rotation and 2mansaw
  • Lituanians: lose xbows, gain supplies (wont buff the already strong late game).

Free elite CG upgrade or +2range sound like good replacements.

Conqs is like THE hardest unit to counter in the game probably. It’s the whole reason why Spanish are meta on Nomad.

Part of the reason why Vietnamese are considered a top 30% civ on most modes is that their eco bonus is solid. Notably you save a ton of wood on Bow Saw and Wheelbarrow in Castle age and still instantly drop TC + Monastery for example, while in Feudal you can get both eco upgrades and still drop your military buildings while having 8 on wood (say). Their transitions are very smooth.

so make another Knight civ that can spam Knights into counter units? Like Berbers, Sicilians, Poles etc.?

Crossbow is no longer a Monk counter. RIP Archer civs getting kicked in the butt at every patch. Archer civs now must make a Stable to contest Relics LUL.

1 Like

We can do this by removing the Thumb Ring in exchange. If more is needed, one or some among Siege Ram, Onager, Architecture, Hoardings, Fortified Wall, Keep, Two-Man Saw, Arrowslits, Supplies, Arson, and so on are techs that can also be consider to be removed.

I don’t care about the number of civs with Paladins or without Crossbowmen.
I’m not going to remove their Paladins, that’s their mainstay in the late game.
There is also no problem with making lacking Crossbowmen a unique design for the Bulgarians.

All of them then.

I dont think removing any of these tech really creates a whole in the tech tree. It stays a monk+gunpowder civ with paladin, 3 great trash options and great late game water.

But altogether they add up to something. Especially Onager+2mansaw+thumbrings.

For me giving xbow is really a big buff

You dont, I do.

And I expect you to care about what other people think otherwise you wouldnt be posting on a forum…

No it’s not. It’s only because the faster building bonus gives you a huge economic lead there, the same reason why sicilians bonus doesn’t work.

Define ‘‘spam’’, do they have cheaper or fast creating knights? for me it sounds like a decent tech in comparison to the old one.

how will this affect archer civs when i specifically said that they will move slower, it doesn’t make sense.

It would be a sensible rework.

1 Like

Apart from the Fletch line which doesn’t need gold, Spanish crossbowmen will not have an advantage. The Crossbowman upgrade is good for encouraging them to use Archers in the Feudal if needed, which keeps them from losing value as soon as they hit the Castle Age. But anyway, around the middle of the Castle Age, they should have to start giving Crossbowmen up and using other units.

In my opinion as long as it’s balanced and interesting, it doesn’t matter to the game whether there are 11 or 10 civs with Paladins, and 1 or 2 without Crossbowmen, as the difference is only 1 an it also doesn’t zero out anything. Not to mention I don’t want to give the Spanish even Arbalesters, nor do I want to remove their Paladins, so it shouldn’t affect the number of civs with Paladins.

I definitely care what other people think, but I don’t care about the numbers and I just stated that because I don’t think they matter, as above. I don’t know your reasoning for sticking with those numbers, because you didn’t explain it.

Sorry but it is. Conq is the main reason why spanish are so strong on nomad. Many civ have a huge economy on nomad if not better than them, like persians malians and lituanians and yet spanish is always the best civ on nomad.

Absolutely not. The 30% faster building when you start with literally nothing is worth alteast 3 villagers which puts u in an insanely good spot. Conqs are fine but not op and they are only played because its the only good alternative the spanish player has. If another civ had the faster building bonus that would be THE top pick regardless if they had a good Castle age UU like the conqs.
And if you still think they are op in nomad because of their UU, why not picking Portuguese whose UU costs less, its easier to mass and doesn’t get countered by archers or monks or turks/burmese which are pretty much the same and are also easier to mass?

hahaha what? 3 villagers? Spanish faster building give you only one vill ahead, 2 at best if you build your own late.

Portuguese organ guns are strong but too slow and can be countered by mangonel if you dont push fast enough. Conq on the other hand has almost no counter on castle age aside from fu mass skirms with ballistic but that require too much ressources to tech into for a early castle.

Beside many civ without a great economy but have strong uu are above 50% winrate on nomad like turks or berber.

A TC is build in 150s, each vil adding +33% speed. So you get nearly 2 vils if 1 vil builds it, and often more like 1 vil in Nomad.

Persians and Malians are also top pick on Nomad.

Conqs are OP. worse than jannies and organs head to head, but the movement speed more than compensate.
Spanish got everything but crossbows and camels. Crossbows are bad on nomad because of they are expensive and the TC placement + fish leads to a Fast Castle meta, where UUs and knights shine.

Spanish are top tier on nomad because they got both the eco and the UU.