The state of Militia-line and melee infantry (part 1?)

Because they arent supposed to compete against knights and archers. If you want that the entire game needs a rework top to bottom

Only if we get an infantry with 3 or 4 range like TA. Unique infantry is the place they need to shine the most

In terms of stat and cost, swordsman is fine. However, they are kinda mediocre against eagle and hussar currently.

Eagles die pretty hard if they directly involve in fight with swordsman. But meso players often circle around swordsman and raid your eco directly. You have to prevent any hole of the wall and simultaneously try to force fight with other units or raid meso base to force eagles back defending their base. Cavalry is often a better choice. Even Italians have FU champion, they often use Condo, which do not have bonus dmg, to force fight eagles.

On equal numbers, FU hussar can’t beat champion. But champion don’t feel like a trash buster either when fighting FU hussar. Besides, hussar is more mobile. Winged hussar can even revert the relation with champion, which is supposed to be their ‘counter’.

I suggest to buff their ability to fight hussar and eagles.

I agree that they need to be buffed against Hussar. Like +1 Melee Armor for Champion (to be better against low Melee damage unit). Or slight bonus damage vs Light cav line only for 2HS/Champion.

However, they are fine against eagle, they destroy eagle in direct fight. Eagle can run away for sure but you can force fight by attacking enemy’s base or mix with other mobile unit like Knight.

would require making a new armor class for the scout line.

The militia line is perfectly fine and doesn’t need any changes. After the buffs they are even viable in Castle Age against melee civs and can easily overwhelm an enemy. I’d suggest checking out Survivalist, he frequently plays infantry + siege strategies

Buff serjeant, the attack of the unit is too pathetic.

would that be a problem? i don’t think it would be that problematic if the only iteration is a bonus for champions and nothing more

the issue of 2HS/champions against Hussar is true indeed, another problem for militia

I can’t agree Champions are in a good spot if you don’t see Teuton Champions.