Thinks I really hate about DE's Artstyle

I must say that despite the fact that some of the assets were remastered extremely well, there are certain things I really hate about the Definitive Edition and how it “modernized” certain assets.

The interface is atrocious, I really hope its just a temporary placeholder. In the original game, each Civilization had a unique interface with its own pattern outlining the culture and style of the said civilization. Icons were clean and distinguishable as well as very fitting. The icons in the DE are just plain crap, the do not fit the gamestyle, the are oversized and some buildings look more like upgrades than actual structures.

Berry Bushes. What have you done to the crisp and fruitful berry bushes from the original? Why re-use a revamped berry bush asset from Age of Empires 2 which looks just like a random bush and is indistinguishable from regular map foliage? The ones from the original were very easily distinguishable and would give you a sense of accomplishment once finding them cause of their appealing art style. Your job is to simply remaster already existing assets, why re-model them or recycle them from other AoE instalments?

Roman Architecture. What the ■■■■ have you done to it? Why does it look exactly like Greek architecture, it re-uses the exact same textures.

The colour intensity of players is totally messed up and looks hideous, especially blue. The shading and intensity is what completely messes it up, the original had good colouring of players where as the DE does a very bad job at it.

The fire placement and animation on buildings is beyond bad too.

Definitely points to consider before releasing the game.

@Cybertox said:
The interface is atrocious, I really hope its just a temporary placeholder. In the original game, each Civilization had a unique interface with its own pattern outlining the culture and style of the said civilization.

I think we will only know when the game is released, since they said they have reinstated the UI and they do not want to change the UX of nostalgic players, I believe they may have made differentiations.

@Cybertox said:

Roman Architecture. What the hell have you done to it? Why does it look exactly like Greek architecture, it re-uses the exact same textures.

In relation to this it is easy to explain why: The architectures are roughly the mixture of related cultures, I do not know if you know the cultural exchange between these two civilizations was enormous throughout the historical period, and for the game not to be with much information and detail had to be brought closer to architectural issues. Anyway, taking the fact that the clean design is important in an RTS the architectures of Rome and Greece are extremely similar, so I do not know why of their complaint.

Finally I would like to say that it is clear that we will never like 100% of some things that have been altered, mainly by the nostalgic factor, however I think it is important to open our minds to new experiences, the game has not launched and we are already complaining about it? Let’s take it easy, everything in it has been thought and unleashed by a competent team, open your head and give it a try.

@UnknownMortal said:

@Cybertox said:
The interface is atrocious, I really hope its just a temporary placeholder. In the original game, each Civilization had a unique interface with its own pattern outlining the culture and style of the said civilization.

I think we will only know when the game is released, since they said they have reinstated the UI and they do not want to change the UX of nostalgic players, I believe they may have made differentiations.

@Cybertox said:

Roman Architecture. What the hell have you done to it? Why does it look exactly like Greek architecture, it re-uses the exact same textures.

In relation to this it is easy to explain why: The architectures are roughly the mixture of related cultures, I do not know if you know the cultural exchange between these two civilizations was enormous throughout the historical period, and for the game not to be with much information and detail had to be brought closer to architectural issues. Anyway, taking the fact that the clean design is important in an RTS the architectures of Rome and Greece are extremely similar, so I do not know why of their complaint.

Finally I would like to say that it is clear that we will never like 100% of some things that have been altered, mainly by the nostalgic factor, however I think it is important to open our minds to new experiences, the game has not launched and we are already complaining about it? Let’s take it easy, everything in it has been thought and unleashed by a competent team, open your head and give it a try.

I dont care about the historic accuracy, I want the DE to resemble the original game as close as possible in terms of art. If we start talking about historic accuracy we will have to change an immense amount of things, not just the architecture of the Romans.

If there is time to complain then it is now because the game has not released yet. Do you really think they will implement any drastic changes to the game after it has been already completed and released to the public?

@UnknownMortal said:

@Cybertox said:

@Cybertox said:

I dont care about the historic accuracy. I want the DE to resemble the original game as close as possible. If we start talking about historic accuracy, then we will have to change an immense amount of things, not just the architecture of the Romans.

If it there is time to complain then it is now, before the release of the game. Do you think they will implement major changes to the game after it has been already completed and released to the public?

@Cybertox said:

I know this is relatively minor, but that sounds god-awful.

@Cybertox said:
If it there is time to complain then it is now.

Light the fires, burn the sympathisers

@Cybertox said:

If it there is time to complain then it is now, before the release of the game. Do you think they will implement major changes to the game after it has been already completed and released to the public?

As if complaining a week before the game comes out will be any different than complaining a week after it comes out.

The design process simply won’t allow large changes this late. Maybe we’ll get something in a free update after the game comes out, but I really doubt that presenting these qualms this late would do much.

@Cybertox said:

@UnknownMortal said:

@Cybertox said:

@Cybertox said:

I dont care about the historic accuracy. I want the DE to resemble the original game as close as possible. If we start talking about historic accuracy, then we will have to change an immense amount of things, not just the architecture of the Romans.

What I said is that Design was made up of context, pay attention.

The animations are bad comparing with originals. Specially melee infantry.
The priest is too much cartoony.

The icons are mix between AoE 3 and AoM. This is bad.
GUI is only a texture… but can be more tiny. Is better to than original in usability matters.

Fire in zoom in are awful. But with zoom out is fine.

Agreed re: the animations. Many are lifeless and repetitive like automatons rather than human soldiers. Age I original didn’t have soldiers dying in the same cross-shaped blood circles, and the death animations were more fluid and had more drama. The unit icons are difficult to tell apart and muted in color; the original Age was far superior.

Valid points.

Historically the early roman (pre-marian, around that time) architecture is very much like greek architecture. I would not fault them for this.

Melee units looks like have range distance , lol.

@mythdracon said:
Agreed re: the animations. Many are lifeless and repetitive like automatons rather than human soldiers. Age I original didn’t have soldiers dying in the same cross-shaped blood circles, and the death animations were more fluid and had more drama. The unit icons are difficult to tell apart and muted in color; the original Age was far superior.

The original was made by 3D renders. Similar to AoM and unlike to drawings from AoE3

@“TNC PinEapPle” said:

Historically the early roman (pre-marian, around that time) architecture is very much like greek architecture. I would not fault them for this.

See my post above of what I had to say about this poor argument.

@Cybertox said:

@“TNC PinEapPle” said:

I know it is not a very good argument and I do think you are right in it should be more like the original game. I just don’t think its a very good criticism on the grand scale of things either.

@“TNC PinEapPle” said:

@Cybertox said:

@“TNC PinEapPle” said:

I know it is not a very good argument and I do think you are right in it should be more like the original game. I just don’t think its a very good criticism on the grand scale of things either.

The way I see it, it was done to minimize effort and resources. They simply re-used the same graphics assets from the Greek architecture for the Roman architecture. I played as the Romans today in the Beta build and the architecture is hideous and resembles way too much the Greeks. Lazy and disgusting.

If they wanted to have a more accurate historic representation, they should have done so right in the beginning and addressed thousands of other historically inaccurate nuances when developing the game. I miss my snow white marble galore from the original AoE Rise of Rome.

@Cybertox said:

@“TNC PinEapPle” said:

@Cybertox said:

@“TNC PinEapPle” said:

The way I see it, it was done to minimize effort and resources. They simply re-used the same graphics assets from the Greek architecture for the Roman architecture. I played as the Romans today in the Beta build and the architecture is hideous and resembles way too much the Greeks. Lazy and disgusting.

If they wanted to have a more accurate historic representation, they should have done so right in the beginning and addressed thousands of other historically inaccurate nuances when developing the game. I miss my snow white marble galore from the original AoE Rise of Rome.

If we analyzed this way, all remaster is very lazy. But buildings are the strong point.
No accurately but is very great. Except some little things…
however the original have better design to choose between many textures. This games look have less.

But the water have same texture in wells and in the beach water.

@UnknownMortal said:

@Cybertox said:

@Cybertox said:

I dont care about the historic accuracy. I want the DE to resemble the original game as close as it is possible. If we start talking about historic accuracy, then we will have to change an immense amount of things in AoE, not just the architecture of the Romans.

If it there is time to complain then it is now, before the release of the game. Do you think they will implement major changes to the game after it has been already completed and released to the public? I dont think so.