This game was the 1st ever game i played? How about you?

So i was 9 or 10 years old when I started playing age of empires and seeing this definitive edition being announced the strong feeling of nostalgia came flooding back and i am extremely excited to either join the closed beta or buy it because this is a definite day one for me.

So what ages did you play this game and what was your favorite memory?

This was probably the first game I ever played too, only I was around four years old.
That’s my favourite memory at the same time: my dad teaching me how to play the game and before I knew it I was hooked.

Yup, that’s why I’m so happy that they’re remaking this - though AoE4 could be amazing too fingers crossed - the memories are still in my mind, fifteen years later.

Same here, I was about 2-3 years old and all i could remember was bigdaddy.

Remember starting to play either AoE 1 or 2 when I was eight, before 9/11 happened. Still not that good at the game, but I did begin to play more AoE in general once AoE II HD was announced.

Think it is my third or forth game I played. The others being on Consoles before hand.

I remember it clearly; this was the second “real” game I ever owned. I was about 8 or 9 and had mostly played games like space invaders, centipede, 3-demon etc on my dads old non-dos non-windows computer. Then we got our first windows computer and my uncle gave me Microsoft Flight Simulator 95 for Christmas. The next year, again from my uncle, I got Age of Empires. It was great because my house finally became the go-to place for kids in my street, before that it had been the house of my ‘best friend / worst enemy’ and his dammed Nintendo that got all the attention.

This was also my first game, the one that made me a gammer for life, lol.

@"angrymonkeyllama " said:
So i was 9 or 10 years old when I started playing age of empires and seeing this definitive edition being announced the strong feeling of nostalgia came flooding back and i am extremely excited to either join the closed beta or buy it because this is a definite day one for me.

So what ages did you play this game and what was your favorite memory?

This game was my first RTS Game. Played through all 3 games, every age possible. The release of AOE III and me getting my Collector’s Edition of the Game was my Favourite memory!!!

AoE was the first ever game I played when I was around 4/5. I would play it with my uncle every time I was at my Grans. My worst memory was when my auntie uninstalled the game because I would play when they came and stopped at my Grans’s. More fool her because I got the game straight back and got the gold edition I think it was? My best memory was making a massive map filled to the brim with towns and soldiers that would lag for about 5 minutes before enough units were killed for the game to go back to normal.

Unlike other games, that you finished completely and don’t ever play again, AOE is the only game that I still play 16 years later than I finished it for the first time. It’s awesome that there will be 4K version of it!!!

@Casquimano said:
Unlike other games, that you finished completely and don’t ever play again, AOE is the only game that I still play 16 years later than I finished it for the first time. It’s awesome that there will be 4K version of it!!!

I think aoe1 is the oldest game I still play on a regular basis today. Although other classics like Thief, Freespace and aoe2 are not far behind.

AOE-ROR is the only game I’ve had installed on every Window-system PC or Laptop that I own(ed).

Its around 10-12 years ago when I first tried Age of Empires, I still remember the first map, the city on the bay a naval battle above it and frequent raid from team red, it took me a day to find a gold deposit and the 2 days to defend my city… by the end of the week I managed to save my ship and defend my city. That’s when I’ve realized greatness and depth of the game. I think I have spent over 600+ hours in Age of Empires II, The only thing I disliked in the first one was you cant see any troops behind built structures, Age of Empires II did the outline feature which was great. I was never in Age of Empire III though.

fell in love with it when i was 11 years old. since then i played anything and everything related. loved everything except AoE III (afaik no1 liked it)

I remember when a classmate brought this game in to class during elementary school. Still one of the best series of all time.

1 Like

I remember that day when I went to the house a friend it was when we bought our first computer and he play this game with archers knights and horses and I just loved it. After this you can imagine what happen , i have spend many hours of battles and campaigns i was about ten years old and it was my first contact with strategy games and the most critical moment for my gaming life today the most of tha games im playing they are strategy cuz of this one. when i saw Age of Empires: Definitive Edition nostalgia and happy feelings hit my spine can’t wait.

AoE1 was the first Windows game I played (on Windows 95 lol :D) and it was also my first RTS. To quote Twin Peaks it felt “both wonderful and strange”: just imagine seeing an RTS for the first time ever while also being amazed at the high res graphics compared to DOS titles. It was a new world or rather: a new Age. :smiley:

This is the first game I played as well i remember watching dad play the game (on windows XP lol) for about a year when i finally could play on the easy bots. I probably started playing around age 5 I think. It was right before I started kindergarden. I have loved all the Age of Empires games (yes even AoE3). RTS’s are still my favorite games to play especially with friends #AoELANparty.

First time was in 2000 so i was about 7 at the time. Caught my older brother playing it and had a nightmare about a Scenario wherein you had 3 villagers and a storage pit, where the only food around was Eles. shudders Woke up next morning and jumped right on, never looked back.

1 Like

AoE1 was the first game I ever played as well. Was around age 6 when my dad got it out of the Kellogg’s box! We sat together at the windows xp computer and started a game on nomad, wondered around having no idea what to do. After 20 minutes got killed by a camel rider :(. I played about a year after and have never looked back. Still remember all of the AoE LAN parties. Can’t wait for the definitive edition. :smiley:

Yes I believe it was my first ever game too :smiley: together with Warcraft 2 so I think there goes my love for real-time strategy games