This game will not be set in ww2

Reading interviews around web and some comments (now deleted) on reddit and eso community I’m pretty sure that AOE4 will come back to ancient or medieval times.

This is a comment by some very lucky tester of an early alpha version of the game:
C: Rispondere ad A: Capisco ora. Grazie amico (letteralmente ‘capo’). Ti dispiacerebbe (o essere in grado di) dirci in che epoca sarebbe il gioco?

A: Rispondere a C: quasi tutte le persone hanno fatto l’ipotesi sbagliata.

Source?

Hopefully that’s true, but it’s hard to believe they are having testers already when the game is very probably in very early development.

@IamDalv said:
Source?

Hopefully that’s true, but it’s hard to believe they are having testers already when the game is very probably in very early development.

Well Microsoft is good at keeping secrets, I have a feeling that the game has been in development for longer than we think. At least a few months before announcement. With that said, it is possible that they have a pre alpha test team of gamers helping work out early bugs. It is however very unlikely that they would be so close to doing that, especially all the time it takes to model everything, get the animation correct, and polish the movement and tactics of the interactions. If its going to have a deep story line custom to each civ than that alone will take a lot of time. I do hope though, that the era is set back in the roots of what made this game great.

The quote just says that by far most people are guessing wrong, and from what I’ve seen both ancient and medieval times are pretty popular guesses. So going by that quote they’re either zooming in on a very specific era or going to the future? Or maybe like the classical era, in between aoe1 and 2 and kind of where Online took place? Rise of Rome also went there, but it’s maybe a bit more of a single period if you run from roughly Alexander the Great to the fall of the Western Roman Empire. I guess that would be the best guess then, unless the people that quote is from simply read different guesses than I did.

That would actually be cool, I’d be pretty hyped if that period was eventually announced. It’s a little more mainstream than the earlier periods, but still plenty of cool stuff, and it gives some more options to check out different continents in roughly the same era.

Many people were thinking about ww2 setting cause it would be the logical step.

@“Pan Calvus” said:
The quote just says that by far most people are guessing wrong, and from what I’ve seen both ancient and medieval times are pretty popular guesses. So going by that quote they’re either zooming in on a very specific era or going to the future? Or maybe like the classical era, in between aoe1 and 2 and kind of where Online took place? Rise of Rome also went there, but it’s maybe a bit more of a single period if you run from roughly Alexander the Great to the fall of the Western Roman Empire. I guess that would be the best guess then, unless the people that quote is from simply read different guesses than I did.

That would actually be cool, I’d be pretty hyped if that period was eventually announced. It’s a little more mainstream than the earlier periods, but still plenty of cool stuff, and it gives some more options to check out different continents in roughly the same era.

No, it’s obviously a reference to people’s guesses after seeing the trailer which passes through the other games’ timelines and ends with “now, a new age is upon us”. The vast majority of people interpreted that as a more modern timeline where aoe3 ended.

@IamDalv said:
No, it’s obviously a reference to people’s guesses after seeing the trailer which passes through the other games’ timelines and ends with “now, a new age is upon us”. The vast majority of people interpreted that as a more modern timeline where aoe3 ended.

Could be. Wouldn’t be the greatest reveal though: Haha most people were wrong, because the second most popular guess was right! It also would lend only one meaning to the whole “a new age is upon us” (or what the exact sentence in the trailer was).

No, put my money on the classical era for now. I should be able to get a payout close to 7:1 on that one. Romans, Greeks, Persians, Indians, Chinese. Possibly Japanese, Korean, Yuezhi/Bactrian/Kushan, Mayan, Olmec, Carthage, Gauls, Celts, some form of Germanic tribe, same for Slavic, Mongols, Egyptians, some Southeast Asian dynasties I’m not at home in and something sub-Saharan African I know even less about.

Having also in mind we live in the DLC era when it comes to gaming (yea, the microtransactions era too, but hopefully that wont be the case here), the easiest pick would be the medieval ages because they have the most factions to choose from for DLC’s in the era

btw, I thought about it and also made some research, most likely the 10 top AOE2 players that flew to Vancouver (Relic HQ) to playtest didn’t actually playtest in the true meaning, but more likely were needed for an opinion, to give their thoughts about the game so far, if the game is headed in the right direction and such.

would be cool if they made it medieval fantasy themed, kinda age of mythology 2 but medieval, lots of unexplored areas there

“Almost all people have made the wrong hypothesis” … Depends what hypotheses people have done … And let’s not forget that the most logical hypothesis is not the obvious one !! Boys … we are still at the starting point … We do not know yet where AoE 4 will take place …