This is frankly embarassing

I know neither why the production team decided the skirmisher needed a new icon nor who on earth gave the go-ahead to implement this in an official patch, but we’ve seen full-well that the 3DE team is beyond capable of producing better material than this. This is a humiliating end-product to say the least.

Before:

After:

Please…

25 Likes

I’m sorry but it really looks ugly, some parts look like they were made in paint.
The only thing that can be saved is the rifle

5 Likes

What was the reason for the change? Is this change for all civs, or just the ones that receive the Guard Skirmisher upgrade?

1 Like

The skirmisher model in DE has green uniform instead of brown.

4 Likes

Hold on, after looking at this again, it’s wild that there is literally a flat palette of that tan/neutral color smothered all over the art. Hoping the wrong version of the art was uploaded to the finalized update and it will be fixed in a future update.

3 Likes

If you click on it it looks way better. Something fishy is going on.

Edit: Nvm. It turns from flat white to flat grey.

It almost looks like one of the og icon

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a bad change, at least for me
And imo, you are overreacting about it.

6 Likes

I like the new one better, it is more detailed and easier to differentiate. Although they should give the player the option which one to use. The portrait changed as did the skin of the unit itself, and many like it as it was before.

However, I think the face of the first is better and the size of the hat is a little bigger. A combination of the best of both would be the best.

1 Like

Tbh for me the face looks fine, its just the hat that I think is just slightly off and its just like a sore detail

At first I thought it was just bad, but then I looked on this detail and I just had to laugh. The collor looks like it was just painted over on MS Paint and the gray just kinda overlaps the symbol on the left and right below it looks like they missed the border. Truly embarassing.

detail

2 Likes

How on earth will we continue to play this game with such poor unit pictures?

2 Likes

I prefer the new one.

1 Like

I don’t know, I already uninstalled and threw my computer in the river.

Not really, it doesn’t affect the playability of the game but all of the icons introduced with DE are proof that the artists are capable of much better. Most fan mods frankly have equal or superior artwork.

3 Likes

I suppose there’s no accounting for taste.

2 Likes

Maybe they lost the original file to change the brown jacket layer to green, or maybe it was just a single file, but I doubt it. Anyways, it seems awful for me too.

2 Likes

It looks great when it’s a tiny icon in the corner of my screen. I also prefer the new style.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback everyone! We’ve already addressed the points that were a bit off and you’ll find the adjusted version in the next patch. :slight_smile: In defense of the change I can highlight a few issues with the original portrait such as anatomic proportions (i.e. compare head vs body/massive jacket), lack of playercolor support (what appears as beige in new portait in the OG’s post), dead eyes, and eventually the composition not quite matching the ingame skirmisher’s. Hope this bit of background info makes it easier to relate to the intention behind this and other changes. :wink:

17 Likes

I have been curious why the previous skirmisher and uhlan portrait always had white hats instead of the player color (other parts of the old uhlan portrait have player color but not the hat, which is odd because uhlans didn’t have white hats as an icon). Is this intentional or an oversight?

2 Likes

Those both were oversights indeed and reasons for the change. The new Uhlan portrait, as you hopefully saw, looks a lot more like the ingame one, incl. the playercolor for the czapka hat! :wink:

4 Likes