This kills my desire to play as Lakota, Aztecs, or Haudenosaunee

I hate naval inaccuracy with a passion. I made a post a while back about it but it got no traction, so apologies for the clickbait but I think that’s the only way to really get across how important it is to change it! Knowing that Native civs are totally handicapped on water through a very stupid mechanic that was supposed to have been changed 3 years ago (see DE release notes on naval inaccuracy being removed) frustrates me to no end and also keeps me from really “diving in” to learning those civs (please excuse the pun).

Here’s a video demonstrating the effect in action in the November 3rd PUP:

And here’s a list of all units with built-in inaccuracy:

• War Canoe
  • Canoe
  • Tlaloc Canoe
  • Chaac Canoe
  • Incan Fishing Boat (w/Armed Fishermen card)
  • Japanese Fishing Boat (w/Armed Fishermen card)

Devs, please change this!

12 Likes

Yeah seems fairly silly for naval units, especially when they’re monstrous things.

5 Likes

That’s actually very interesting, I’m in for the innacuray shots but:
-Should apply to gun powder too
-should be reduced, ex 10 shots 1-2 can miss not 5 shots 3-4 missed haha.

No, it shouldn’t apply to gun powder shots. One of the core concepts of any competitive RTS is being able to assess whether you’re going to win or lose a match-up when you engage. We have to make that decision on the fly, and if you choose wrong, it can open a window for the enemy to win the game. It’s that important. It also means that you can’t design the game with random generators picking whether attacks hit or miss. Why? Because these things are streaky and unpredictable.

What they need to do is make all shots hit 100% so you can decide whether to engage or not. Putting the native civs at a disadvantage by having them miss like this is a terrible mechanic.

I will note one exception to this which is the random critical shots that outlaws get with Mexican Standoff. It’s the one card that opts in to randomness as a mechanic and it fits outlaws as unreliable fighters. I have no problem with randomness on crits for outlaws. I think that’s something that makes them unique and interesting as units (if only they’d stop strangling them out of usefulness with obscene population requirements).

4 Likes

Warcraft 3 has random damage values and AoE2 has missing arrows.
Both games have/had a bigger competitive scene then AoE3.

Touché, couldnt said it better myself.

Actually he does have a point. Games with randomness are usually not competitive friendly.

Aoe2 has/had a competitive scene purely due to nostalgia/popularity.
The randomness in warcarft 3 isn’t comparable, units actually do damage inside a range, not in the binary set of {0, max damage}.

1 Like

in an ideal world gunpowder hits 100% all time. Arrows his 100% if target is stationary or target is moving in a uniform consitant way (like walking away from target). Arrows should deal less damage or potentially miss if you micro your unit after the arrow leaves the bow. Understand it would never happen to compute in this old code based game but its always just minorly triggering to have heat seaking longbow arrows even if you micro your cav

AoE3 is not much newer than AoE2, yet AoE2 is a lot more popular.
AoE4 is also more popular.
It’s not a simple one answer reason why those games are more popular.

Also WC3 randomness is arguably more random since it applies to every attack, even melee attacks.
Usually attacks rarely miss while all WC3 attacks are subject to randomness.

But anyway. Randomness is clearly not the reason why AoE3 has a relatively small competitive scene, it’s many other factors.

But that’s the way it works in Age of Mythology, so the engine is clearly already capable of doing that.

That’s how it was in Vanilla, TWC, and TAD expansions all the way until DE released in 2020. All naval units and most archer/xbow units had inherent inaccuracy chance and the devs stated they fixed that with the launch of DE. Turns out they didn’t and they accidentally left Native Canoes firing missed shots every now and then.