Thoughts on latest patch 7989

Look at the eaglemut post from ESOC team posted all over about aoe4, and how he compares how much and quickly they were able to fix tons of problems for aoe3DE. Harder problems with day 1 patch and several quick patches after that.

And stop making dumb excuses for Relic. Something must have gone horribly wrong in their management

10 Likes

You can’t compare software like that. You don’t know how much resource was put into this patch, what else they’re working on at the same time.

Sure, you can compare results, from a player’s perspective. You can want more. But you don’t know what Relic are doing behind the scenes, so why try to pretend that you do?

1 Like

The way some people protect the devs is amazing. I get that you love the game, but that doesn’t excuse so little content for a 3 week patch, when a smaller team could do much more with a game other people developed in the same time frame.

12 Likes

Yeah, same here!!!

You are talking about software as if it is this extremely complicated magic thing only the developers understand. There are standards on how to make good code that makes it easy to change small things like this. Like the speed of the mongol buildings upgrade. They know they will want to change lots of things in the future so if they have anymore than a youtube video in programming knowledge they will know to make them easily changeable. My theory is that they either got most of the team working on some future DLC that they can charge money from, or relic promised the team a holiday if they worked hard. If that’s the case they should just have released a short statement and it’d be completely fine. But pretending like they are working hard? No

1 Like

The way some people attack the devs is amazing. We’re all allowed an opinion, so what’s the harm?

You don’t know what Relic are working on, you’re judging them simply by the output compared to what another team did a year and change ago. Feel free to. Nobody’s stopping you. People are allowed to respond with their own disagreement, and aren’t going to stop doing so just because you think they’re wrong.

Would you want to be called out and put down every time you tried to post what you think is fair criticism?

Generally speaking, this is true more often than it isn’t :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

“if they know programming they’d make it so things are easy to fix” is something a non-programmer would say, so you’re only kinda proving my point here.

You’re assuming that Relic are working on paid content, or are on holiday, or whatever. You’re assuming this. Nothing makes you automatically right, just like people going “oh wow you protect the devs” doesn’t make me wrong. Nothing makes me automatically right either. We’re attempting to have a discussion, right? Exchange opinions.

I can definitely understand being dissatisfied, with having to want more. I’ve repeatedly said in other threads I hope the devs (and / or whoever makes the decisions) hear the calls for more frequent communication. But when it comes to “if they watched more than a YouTube video on programming they’d know what to do”, I get to put on my (software - not games) developer hat and point out why this might not, in fact, be the case.

I haven’t tested it myself (I’m prepping a video for work tomorrow, which is taking up most of my evening and stopping me getting on the exercise bike tonight!), but if the performance hit when panning is fixed that’s a big win. There were endless posts on it, threads . . . it was being noticed all over the place. It was one of the biggest contributors to the perception (and actuality) of performance issues in the game.

You have no idea what else they’re working on. It could be more fixes to the game. It might not be. You assume that it isn’t. Don’t you see why people are going to disagree with this?

5 Likes

It is fixed, there is still some slowdown when panning but for me it is barely noticeable unlike before.

To be honest I expected them to fix the relic duplication bug and find an intelligent solution against the mongol TC rush, as it seems easier to fix. So them fixing a performance issue early on came unexpected (at least for me).

2 Likes

You dont know either, we can only go by what has been released until now. The criticism is to the devs work, not an attack to them as persons, and that work has been really lackluster. But I see many giving excuses for the devs when, as you said, we dont know what they are working on now, as there is lack of communication too.

1 Like

“Where is the patch? What’s taking so long time!? The developers are lazy and unprofessional!”

The developers releases a patch with some minor issues resolved in preparations for the major patch.

“Why is the patch so small!? the developers are lazy and unprofessional!”

Like will you guys be happy with anything? Ridiculous.

3 Likes

It is literally the root of the problem: Them not explaining us what they actually are doing.

Or there is one other vErY UnLiKeLy option in an alternative universe: release a patch that is large enough to justify the time it takes.

1 Like

Who says they aren’t doing that? And yes it takes time which is exactly what I’m referring to, you guys want a big major patch to fix everything within DAYS after release.

Take a chill pill and it will come just like this one.

Sure, but I’m not the one claiming I do know. I’m not the one comparing different games and assuming the level of effort going into both.

And, for the record, “lazy” and “unprofessional” are both actual attacks on the developers. Those are what I originally replied to, right? Folks can say they’re unhappy with the changes so far without going near that kind of language.

3 Likes

I am a programmer educated through university, where we learned about good programming practice. How to make code simple to implement changes to, and understand not just for us but for other people that’s reading it and may be working on it later.

If they cant fix simple things such as the tooltip telling you you get a different speed increase than you actually get there’s something seriously wrong. Worst case they just fix the tooltip. It takes no time at all to change the value in the tooltip. They are simply making worse priorities than ESOC, or they are not investing enough of their large resources into it.

The rest of your post is just weird “you assume”, including some stuff that I dont assume, and rant about not being automatically right(who said i think im automatically right for my theory? I’m just saying they are not handling this well) stuff so I will not comment on that.

2 Likes

After so much anticipation, I am disappointed with this patch, it fixes too few things. But I think a large part of it is that the developers are not actively showing what they will fix, and some promising promises. If the developer can tell the player more information about the upcoming repair of the game, then the player will trust them more, but currently there is very little communication between the player and the developer.

3 Likes

No “we guys” (whoever that refers to) want a patch slightly bigger than this, regarding the time it takes, that solves those game breaking issues that are constantly mentioned here. For example, the duplicating relics.

But I guess fixing one more thing than the current patch might entirely break the mentality of the devs, just like adding a little more zoom on the current zoom level would make the game utterly unplayable.

DAYS meaning more than two weeks?

1 Like

I don’t know why some people here are so insistant on insinuating it’s not possible they are actually doing a bad job and instead make strange excuses such as “you don’t know” and other larping

2 Likes

I’m not a game developer and I assume that neither are you so therefore I can’t go into much detail how fast we should expect things to come out, but they need to gather data & then need to find a solution for it.

If they have many things requiring to get fixed, then it’s probably more smart to release a smaller patch at first, and then update the game with the major patch once it’s ready. It’s really that simple to understand dude.

We all have our own expectations to when a patch should be applied, but we really need to think about if it’s possible to achieve that or not and who are we to say that without any experiences? At least me I don’t know about you mate.

How about you listen to actual game developers like eaglemut then which worked on the development on a very similar game which needed similar fixes?

I expect more than small patch and I am so disappointed for this patch. I am losing hope for this game. I

2 Likes