Today's the day! :)

Today, tomorrow, next week or whenever im pumped

A streamer (i do want to cause any damage to him by mentioning names, as i do not believe he is allowed to say that - i could be wrong, i haven’t read the NDA) confirmed that he did get the beta invite and that he did download the game. He mentioned on repeated occasions that he will not post anything more nor will he answer any other questions, until MS allow it. I know is that he is EU based (not US - for those who don’t know that EU is not part of the US).

He is a very reliable source for any AoE info so i do not believe he lied and said that just to show of. He did also mentioned that there were only about 20-30 invites sent as a first wave (NOTE that there are over 130k insiders - a.k.a. people signed up for the beta). I believe this was a selected beta wave , what i mean is that only people that are close to the devs, such as Resonance or Zero for example might gotten the beta as the first wave.

The guys from MS were 100% honest when they said when the beta will be sent … and they did said that only a selected few will get their hands on it in the first wave.

This is just me assuming, but i think Resonance or Zero did say that MS will be holding a tournament in Germany at gamescom , so i believe they did the invites now so that the people joining AoE gamescom can train and put on a show for the crowds to see. - again , this is just me assuming.

I AM SO HYPED!!!
I just hope I get one of those invites, I have been checking every day since e3 for more news.
It’s already Saturday night here in Aussie so if they meant end of the week world wide i’d assum the invites will go out tomorrow then.

@BornPants34 said:

The guys from MS were 100% honest when they said when the beta will be sent … and they did said that only a selected few will get their hands on it in the first wave.

If that is the case then its absolute rubbish, would have preferred they didn’t announce it. I would rather not know that 20-30 privileged individuals got their hands on the game, while the rest of us are left to resume meditating on the possible meanings of ‘soon’.

Bah

I do need to mention that he said “first wave” . I do not know what means exactly. I mean he said he was part of the first wave , but there could have been 15-20 waves in an hour if MS decided. The first wave could be : give betas to reporters and people like IGN and then , once they got the invites send 20 000 more invites to random folks as a second invites waves. That could be a scenario, as neither MS nor the streamer were very clear in the specifics of how the invites went.

@rhrmn said:

@ScaryBoot said:
Well I guess my logic was wrong :frowning: haha

Still possible they will send out invites automagically over the weekend.

AUTOMAGICALLY! My new favorite word!! Hahahahaha

I hope they send them automagically too!

I signed up the day the Insider program was announced, but I have yet to receive a survey. So I doubt I’m getting in this time. I’m a little nervous about not getting the survey though - I’ve checked my email (including spam folder and such) daily since then.

Surveys only came every Friday afaik. But as for getting in, they will likely pick only high profile people for the beginning, and let in others later on when leaking and showing it off aren’t as much a concern - someone is bound to share info the higher number of people you let in

For beta testers they need players with a sharp eye for detail, who are willing to contribute by reporting errors and or glitches in the gameplay. Also they will look at your hardware specifications. They need a diverse group of devices and players to test with, so don’t worry your survey will come. The first wave might actually be a horde already. :wink:

He is a very reliable source for any AoE info so i do not believe he lied and said that just to show of. He did also mentioned that there were only about 20-30 invites sent as a first wave (NOTE that there are over 130k insiders - a.k.a. people signed up for the beta). I believe this was a selected beta wave , what i mean is that only people that are close to the devs, such as Resonance or Zero for example might gotten the beta as the first wave.

this seems to be right. Zero said there was 20-30 people selected too

Wow, 20-30 out of 130K. Sigh, may be waiting till the release then :frowning:

@tempires said:

this seems to be right. Zero said there was 20-30 people selected too

Lol, As I expected.

Yeah, a first round of a few VIPs is to be expected - but I think it would have been better to not publicly trumpet ‘first invites by end of week’ without specifying that this is the case. This way, the 99% of people don’t get their hopes up and watch their inbox when for most of us it continues to be a #soon situation.

Should have kept that stuff on the down low.

Well , i do have to point out that, as a beta tester it is your duty to report bugs and not enjoy the game :stuck_out_tongue: (enjoying the game is consequence of testing the game :stuck_out_tongue: and not the main goal). So with that, it does make sense that MS would use reliable beta testers (people with vast experience of the game that they can easily get in touch with) rather than … us … the plebes (we gonna pitchfork and torch the place am i right ? up high !).

I think that the hype for the invites was a, shall we call it “carrot on a stick” move ? I do not know the state of the game, but i was hopping for it to be in a more advance state so that we could simply test the servers and see if , i don’t know … 2 000 of us would log on and play at the same time … but that is more of open-beta test than an close-beta.

What MS did was a bit to be expected if you can put yourself in their shoes :P. Maybe next week they will send 30k invites (i doubt it, but hey, you can’t blame me for my weird fantasies).

I do wish they would give us something more often like images or animations … but that is a subject for another topic.

20-30 is…disappointing, at best. Shame that MS stirred up all the hype, getting our hopes up & announcing this wave publicly before it sadly fell flat. Totally agree with @Catbarf2012 and @BornPants34 here.
You announce the Beta two months ago…then drip-feed us (somewhat disappointing and lacking) information, before getting our hopes up aaaaaand letting them fall flat. There’s really nothing to do but wait and see, I guess. Just a little irritating that we’re being led on so much.

Im really not expecting anything until gamescom, thats going to be part of their big announcement there. Public beta starting and possible a release date announcement, still think this game is out by Christmas shopping season this year.

Trying not to get my hopes up til the end of the month for any of us to have a chance to get in beta. I do think its going to be a big beta tho, especially towards the end of the beta period.

I gotta agree with you @RWNorthPole, I don’t see what is so hard about tried and true communication and transparency. The hype I’ve seen (and felt) built up for this game has become a problem, and I’m quite reminded of another game. I’m pretty sure we, as a gaming community, don’t want No Man in that Sky again.

It never hurts to tell the truth. It’s fine to build up hype; just not like this. Saying ‘Beta’s coming soon!’ and then wait for two months to basically repeat what you said the first time is not how you do that - rather how you can potentially lose a good amount of your playerbase. I don’t really see what they’d hope to accomplish by continuing their vagueness but if they plan on releasing the beta to us rank-and-file players at Gamescom, then say that.

@aquablade351 said:
I gotta agree with you @RWNorthPole, I don’t see what is so hard about tried and true communication and transparency. The hype I’ve seen (and felt) built up for this game has become a problem, and I’m quite reminded of another game. I’m pretty sure we, as a gaming community, don’t want No Man in that Sky again.

It never hurts to tell the truth. It’s fine to build up hype; just not like this. Saying ‘Beta’s coming soon!’ and then wait for two months to basically repeat what you said the first time is not how you do that - rather how you can potentially lose a good amount of your playerbase. I don’t really see what they’d hope to accomplish by continuing their vagueness but if they plan on releasing the beta to us rank-and-file players at Gamescom, then say that.

I strongly agree with this. I feel that it was wrong for the developers the definitive edition to announce that the beta was coming towards the end of the week. Instead what they could have done is sent private messages to the 20-30 people that they chose much like how they kept quite when cysion and Robeyone got into the beta. Much like many others here, I would prefer if the development team were to keep quiet on the beta until they invite way more people. The way that they are using it to build hype is wrong in my honest opinion.

There comes a point when many people will become sick of this drip feeding and building of false hope. It’s starting to reach that point unfortunately…

Take it easy guys. You’re all speculating too much I think. Just wait and stay cool with it.

@“Memes B Dreams” said:

@aquablade351 said:

I strongly agree with this. I feel that it was wrong for the developers the definitive edition to announce that the beta was coming towards the end of the week. Instead what they could have done is sent private messages to the 20-30 people that they chose much like how they kept quite when cysion and Robeyone got into the beta. Much like many others here, I would prefer if the development team were to keep quiet on the beta until they invite way more people. The way that they are using it to build hype is wrong in my honest opinion.

There comes a point when many people will become sick of this drip feeding and building of false hope. It’s starting to reach that point unfortunately…

I doubt we’ll have to wait too long (in the grand scheme of things) for the actual game to release, and there will be a bunch of people that are going to get crabby they didn’t get selected to the beta anyway, but they could definitely manage their PR hit a bit better if they were more clear on what’s going on.