Top 10 Must-Have Civs with Ranking Justification (please change the incomplete, meaningless future civs poll)

Well we are dealing with demographics for the game release.
The initial factions cover large and strong markets.

It is my hope since Portuguese is the 9th most spoken language in the planet that they make the cut eventually, as it is a large market to explorer aswell.

And I’m not saying not to add Incas or Kalmar Union or Italian city states.
I’m just saying add Portugal because it fits the game concept.

2 Likes

I agree, I am a fan of portugal, I just meant the fact that calling population a fake metric and immediately comparing empire size implied that empire size was all that was important in determining civ importance. Portugal is criminally underrepresented in strategy games because Spain usually gets included and devs dislike adding 2 Iberian civs.

By fake I meant not reliable. Sorry lack of sleep due to baby.

Going by population, Portugal is always going to be on the tail end. I’m being a bit bias on this one, I admit.

Yes unfortunately Portugal tends to be the red head step child.

But it’s easy to do a different Spain (or crowns of Spain) different than Portugal.

Portugal should be feitorias(Trade) , fleets(Naval) and fortresses (defense), Spain should be, in my opinion mind you, Conquistadors, Tercios, and Religion

Military, Conquest, Religion.

Perhaps, although Tercios was a product of the Italian wars from the late 15th-early 16th century which might fall outside of the game’s timeline. IMO a Spain should probably focus on the reconquista era of Spain, maybe having campaigns between them and the abbasids (since base game was 2 campaigns of civs on opposite sides). Then again Rus has the Strelets, so maybe Tercios could be an imp unit.

1534 still fits confortably within the timeline for a Tercio Imperial Unit.

I dont think every civ will have a campaign, but I could be wrong.

I hope they do, hard to say exactly what the time frame of the game is. The last current campaign ends at 1552.

Any civ design that relies on guns or cannons to any signifcant extent should not be considered. Guns and cannons are already OP in the game, and we have unique units for existing civs that are even more OP. Guns and cannons is the most boring part of the game for sure, thankfully most games don’t even get to that point.

2 Likes

Sorry, but how it is related to my post ?

Peoples civ designs for Hungary are “OP guns”.

Turks civ designs are also “OP guns” and “OP bombards”.

These things are already OP, and are boring to play, and boring to play against, and are available after most games end. The generic counter to guns and cannons is guns and cannons.

Need to focus on the other aspects of civs.

2 Likes

Well tbh that’s the issue with other posts, AOE2 managed to do Hungary without guns, and considering we already have multiple civs with great gunpowder bonuses, the fact that you dislike gunpowder isn’t really a good reason (unless we are discussing nerfing gunpowder units).

At the same time hopefully they don’t make too many gunpowder heavy civs, because there’s only so much uniqueness you can put into a gunpowder civ without it becoming another China etc.

1 Like

I thought gunpowder was OP when I was maining English, and their gun powder actually sucks and yet is still OP lol

Now I’m maining China, and their gunpowder is obviously insane lol

And they’re already THE gun powder civ, so…

Kinda want less gun powder in a game with knights and swords and arrows and counters.

Last I checked guns weren’t actually that good during this time period, which is why most armies adopted them cautiously until they were OP, which was after this timeline.

Also, if I reach imp, I just go full handcannons and bombards, why wouldn’t I? It wrecks everything.
I just think it’s boring and I can feel the pain of whoever I am playing against.

1 Like

Well mostly because it’s really expensive and you need a lot of gold, but post imp probably should be pretty gunpowder heavy, that said it’s very rare to get to post imp outside of team games. Tbh handcannons are probably a little over tuned, but that’s more an argument that we should nerf siege in the game instead of saying having civs with bonuses to siege being boring.

Sorry i didn’t see it , as i write in my later comment, i think hungary don’t fit to aoe4 at all.

Perhaps, they did make it in very early in AOE2 as the Magyars, and Hungary was an important kingdom in regards to fighting the Ottomans and that area of history.

Thats true, but i don’t know what kind of landmarks and mechanics would be good on them. Actually i can’t think any unique mechanics from that country that would be fun to play. We have already everything with this 8 civ.

So yes, i think hungary won’t fit to this game at all. And actually Magyar and Hungary is the same, they call themself Magyars, everyone else call them Hungarians. It’s quite funny actually.

I agree with you 100%, these civs need to be added, specially top 3.

Delhi is not any Persian empire at all! It’s also not all of the Indian civilizations.

Read your history guys.

2 Likes

I think the Ancient Egyptian empire might have been a bit longer, but whatever.

Also, are you an @Vinifrss alt? Vinifrss has been suspended yet again, you joined recently, have primarily interacted on the same types of topics, and your ranking list is pretty much identical. Just asking.

8 Likes

As someone with Bosnian heritage, adding the Duchy of Bosnia or Banate of Bosnia would be such a blast and one of the more unique additions in any AoE game ever. A man can dream…

1 Like

Could you imagine the uproar if there was an Iberian/Americas expansion and the new civs were Toltecs (why only care about the Americans that were conquered by spaniards) and Caliphate of Cordoba (we should include the largest medieval empire of Iberia, right)? I’d love it, really throw the cats amongst the pigeons as far as fighting Euro-centrism.

Anyway, there’s a problem with looking at these lists that AOE2 faced as well. Sure the Incas, Ethiopia, Mali, Ashikaga are important and huge, but they don’t really conflict with the other civs in the game. Obviously for multiplayer we already are pure fantasy fights, but it can be a challenge for campaign and marketing.

“Relive the Reconquista” and “The Fall of Constantinople” just hits better than “Cholas and Incas deserve next spots”

2 Likes

Ok how you relive Reconquista without Caliphate of Cordoba?

1 Like