Tried everything to improve game performance

The game is just so extremely laggy.

I put all my settings to “low”.

I unlinked my computer from OneDrive.

I never have anything running in the background.

Yet, the multiplayer 1v1 is extremely laggy for me. What is there left to try?

This game is putting my computer at the brink of its abilities.

Thanks.

Laggy? You mean you got latency? When you right click to move an unit it starts to move a few seconds after click?

Or you mean that the game runs bad?

It would be nice if you put your hardware, maybe something is causing you a bottleneck.

Yea perhaps its latency if that means “unit starts to move a few seconds after its clicked to move”.

The hardware is whatever comes with a Dell G3 17 laptop.

Seems like the laptop has an Intel and Nvidia GPU.
Make sure the game uses the Nvidia GPU and not the Intel one. Check Nvidia Settings for that.
I can’t tell you exactly how to change those settings because I never used a laptop like that myself.

Your hardware should me more then good enough.

IMO it’s more likely to be a ping issue. I’ve had lag in a small number of online games, and I’ve put it down to another player in the game having a high ping. I’m confident it isn’t my CPU or GPU that has caused the lag in those games (5900X and 3080).

1 Like

I thought it would be fine too, but the lag and latency aren’t just annoying, it’s unplayable. I have 2 second or more latencies constantly in AoE4 1v1 multiplayer.

How do I ensure the Nvidia is being used? I think it is, because in my AoE4 settings, it has “best recommended” for the resolution, etc. but at the top of the settings it has Nvidia.

I don’t think it’s a hardware issue, it seems an internet issue.

Google “internet speed test” and put here the results.

From which zone are you? I am from spain, and I get the best ping in euwest and ukwest, but I have played also in australia and eastus, with about 200ms ping and the game is totally playable.

Are you experiencing latency problems in any other game?

I encourage you to contact the technical support, they will guide you better to detect the issue.

1 Like

Im from Midwest USA.

The quick google test I did came up with these results:

"Internet speed test

Megabits per second

Testing upload…

Mbps download

Mbps upload

Latency: 24 ms

Server: Chicago

Your Internet speed is fine.

Your Internet connection should be able to handle streaming an HD video. If multiple devices are streaming video at the same time, you may run into some slowdowns."

However, Chicago being the server is strange considering Im several hours from there.

There is some latency in other games, but not as bad as AoE4.

When I opened the game, it said I have low RAM. Maybe thats the problem? What do you advise to do to fix that issue?

I think 5 Mbps is a very slow internet connection to play videogames.

Also, think that if someone in your house is using internet, you will face more problems.

Are you connected by cable or wifi?

I think RAM would make the game to run low in fps, but it’s a different problem than the one you are commenting.

Do you play any other videogame? Did you face that problem too?

If you want to discard that is not a hardware issue, just try to play 1v1 offline, if it works fine, 100% sure it’s an internet issue.

I use Wifi, is there a way to better my internet connection?

I play SC2 and the problem exists there, but to a lesser extent.

Use cable.

If you can’t, you can try to increase your internet connection asking to your internet supplier.

Place your laptop the closer you can to the router…

But there’s not very much more you can do.

1 Like

Dell G3 17 3779

Processor

Intel Core i5-8300H 4 x 2.3 - 4 GHz, Coffee Lake-H

Graphics adapter

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile - 4096 MB, Core: 1493 MHz, Memory: 7008 MHz, GDDR5 (Samsung), 398.36, Nvidia Optimus

Memory

8192 MB , DDR4, 1 of 2 occupied, single channel

Display

17.30 inch 16:9, 1920 x 1080 pixel 127 PPI, AUO, B173HAN01.3, IPS, glossy: no

Mainboard

Intel HM370

Storage

SK hynix SC311 SATA, 256 GB , M.2 SSD + 2.5 inch HDD (WDC WD 10SPZX-75Z10T1), 1050 GB free

Soundcard

Realtek Audio

Connections

1 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0 / 3.1 Gen1, 1 HDMI, Audio Connections: Stereo, Card Reader: 2-in-1 SD / MicroMedia Card, 1 Fingerprint Reader

Networking

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (10/100/1000/2500/5000MBit/s), Intel Wireless AC 9462 (b/g/n = Wi-Fi 4/ac = Wi-Fi 5), Bluetooth 5.0

Size

height x width x depth (in mm): 25 x 415.4 x 279.2 ( = 0.98 x 16.35 x 10.99 in)

Battery

56 Wh, 3500 mAh Lithium-Ion, 4 cells

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit

Camera

Webcam: 720p

Additional features

Speakers: Stereo, Keyboard: Chiclet, Keyboard Light: yes, 130-watt power supply, McAfee LiveSafe, Dell Updater, 12 Months Warranty

Weight

2.964 kg ( = 104.55 oz / 6.53 pounds), Power Supply: 635 g ( = 22.4 oz / 1.4 pounds)

1 Like