Turks feedback

Many Castle age UT are just as cheap. Why not make Masadrah or Strongold free then? And the deal is that I don’t think that making Turks overshadow everyone else by instantly getting the best CA in the game as soon as they hit Castle will be good. Sure, people will keep tryharding as Huns and Mongols anyway, but they would stop even trying Vietnamese, Tatars or Portuguese CA. And Turk CA are already popular, so it’s not like they need to be pushed even more in the spotlight.

I feel like it’s the kind of bonuses that is either “Turks can trade with themselves” or “It’s here to matter once every 100 noob game” And there is still one fundamental flaw: the enemy can’t stop it, unlike relics or Feitorias.

Many players avoid turks in 1v1 settings because the lack of pikeman and elite skirm is quite detrimental when being denied gold and forced to make units that are going to be useless as soon as you hit Castle. With all the gold options Turks get to toy with in Imp players would be less bothered imo if lack of trash was only a late-game issue.

I mean, you easily could. They added techs to all civs, but not all those techs were created equal. Madrasah, for example, pays for itself in three monks. The cost is not the issue, not really. It’s more of a courtesy.

True, but isn’t that sort of the point? Even with an additional trickle of gold, you won’t be looking at a constant stream of troops. You’ll still be dealing with large quantities of trash backed up by smaller amounts of gold units. Except the Turks will still have vastly inferior trash. Giving them a larger supply of gold units could be balanced to give them a fair chance of success in the lategame.

The cool thing about this bonus is that in 1v1s it could be quite helpful, but it would not be too important in team games, so the Turks would remain relatively the same there.

This makes the Turks viable where they are currently useless while maintaining their viability in other scenarios.

1 Like

What about Turks get

• 25% faster gold mining (up from 20%)

• Sipahi becomes a civ bonus but split up +10HP CA in Castle/+10HP CA in Imperial

• New castle age UT: gives +10HP (+15HP?) to spearmen and skirmishers. Still would be inferior to all other civs but makes it less bad.

• Team bonus: Gunpowder units created 25% faster

Side note: I’m confused that the turks wiki page says that gunpowder units are created 25% faster and that the tech tree stating 20% faster is incorrect. Which is it, 20% or 25%?

4 Likes

The thing is, that dilutes their identity. They’re supposed to have bad trash, it’s a huge part of what makes them unique. Giving them better weak trash just waters down the effect.

That’s why I thought a trickle of gold using a new mechanic would be a good idea. They would be able to somewhat counterbalance their bad trash with a larger number of gold units. It might not make them great, but it would at least flatten the dropoff in late imperial.

Well they still would be the only civ with skirmishers and spearmen. It still keeps their identity. The thing about AOE2 is that a few small differences can make a big impact at the high level (where balancing focuses on). If there was 1 map then you could have asymmetric civs since there’s no outside influences. That isn’t the case with this game so you have to have fairly symmetric civs with minor differences to make civs fair yet different. You can’t have both fair and different; you can only chose 1.

The whole “buffed the weak trash” already happened with Vikings, where the introduction of Chieftain almost turned their Pikemen into Halbs. But while buffing the turk Skirmisher and Spearman would likely allow some hilarious shenanigans, it wouldn’t be meaningfull UNLESS you give them enough of the relevant bonus damage… and thus it would indeed make them closer to their upgraded counterpart. It made sense for Viking because they are an infantry civ, but it wouldn’t for Turks. You could also try to make them better at something else entirely but chances are one of your many gold units already does it perfectly fine. In the context of trash wars even making them anti-building isn’t really relevant because Turks can spend the gold they get from the market on Siege rams. I don’t think touching the Turk trash units is top priority really.

2 Likes

Yes they wouldn’t get the added bonus damage and so of course would still be the worst but having more HP would help them stay alive longer for more attacks. I didn’t want to make these units better than any other civ to keep their identity but just be able to hold their own a little better so it’s not as sharp of a drop off in post imp.

I also couldn’t add pierce armor as a bonus since that’s already used.

The Turks had pretty advanced medicine so that could tie in with the extra HP I guess. Maybe that’s a stretch.

Because it would make sense. Saracens could still have a replacement for that, more in accordance with there theme as well. Well rounded, camel-focused market civ.

What if turks started with extra… STONE?

That would enable them to do more openings for midgame (tower rush&booming, fastcastle by selling it in market, or fast imperial) without buffing their powerful lategame a lot or buffing their shameful trash.

A Few Ottomans annihilated the Byzantines at Asia Minor(Turkey) as the Corona-virus kill people. After that they begin to spawn. At 1923 AD, part of the the Ottomans changed their name to Turks. So, now, there are 80 miilions Turks at Asia Minor.

Pretty much sure Turks can’t enter into people’s lung 11

i have a new idea. Each garrisoned Relic gives +10% attack for gunpowder units (maximum 40%).

fits perfectly into turks scheme.

turks dont need trash and should never get better trash units. and dont need economic upgrades.

That is obscenely overpowered.

3 Likes

i dont think so. u get 2-3 relics, 20-30%. not OP.

Bombard cannon +2 range and +30% attack not OP Hahahahaha. Elite jannisary with 29 attack not OP Hahahaahhaha

4 Likes

yeah it would need to be 5%/relic

good idea though

bro. top players would still crush turks in tournament game. thats the problem with this game.

Dude, 1 relic = Elite Janissaries have a better attack than FU War elephant. That’s completely nuts.

This isn’t Age of mythology, so it would always be a minimum +1 increase. So 2 relic = Your Janissary gets War elephants attack. And it would still be stupidly strong on BBC and Elite Cannon Galleons.

2 Likes

turks should also get hand cannoneers from castle age. i mean, if they get janissaries in castle age, then HC should be the same. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The point of the Janissary is already to be a Castle age HC. Also, since HC are created from Archery range AND cost less food, they would be easier to create and overshadow the Janissary. This is already what makes it the better choice in fast Imp, they don’t need to be always easier to get than Janissaries. Or, since HC require Chemistry, moving them and the free Chemistry would make Turks a top-tier mass Xbow civ. Thus you woudl create many archery ranges, making the HC even easier to get compared to Jan once you’re Imp and drop your Xbows. In both cases it’s just a bad change.

3 Likes