Uninstalling the AOE2:DE Beta

Hello All,

Thank you to everyone who participated in the AOE2:DE beta! Now that the beta is over, if you have not yet uninstalled the beta version of the game, below are instructions on how to do so. We are posting this in the Insiders section of the forums, as the beta forums are being archived.

Uninstalling AOE2:DE Beta Microsoft Store Version

1. Open the start menu and search for “Apps & Features”
  2. In Apps & Features, scroll down until you see Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Beta
  3. Click on the title then click Uninstall

Uninstalling AOE2:DE Beta Steam Version

1. In Steam, go to “Steam” in the top-right, and select Settings from the drop-down.
  2. In Settings, go to Downloads, and click “Steam Library Folders”
  3. The Library Folders pop-up will indicate the file pathway where you are currently saving Steam game file
  4. Open a Folder, and navigate to the file pathway indicated in your Library Folders
  5. From this folder, go to steamapps -> common
  6. You should see a folder named “Phoenix” (See below if you do not)
  7. Delete this folder

If you do not see a “Phoenix” folder, but instead see an “AOE2:DE” folder you have a choice:

• If you delete that folder, you will finish uninstalling the game.
  • If you keep that folder, you will have less files to have to download when you install the retail version of the game.

If you do not have either folder, then Steam should have successfully uninstalled the beta during the key revocation process.

Enhanced Graphics Pack DLC

The DLC will uninstall along with the beta version of the game using either method above.

11 Likes

bought the game 1 month ago, so theres no need to unistall for me?

1 Like

Uninstalling is a choice. For some users the beta will relate to the retail version of the game (those with the AOE2:DE folder), but for others the beta will just take up space so we recommend uninstalling (those with the Phoenix folder, or on Microsoft Store beta).

2 Likes

Can we use the Phoenix folder (by renaming it perhaps?) also to save time and download volume?

1 Like

Just gonna rename my Phoenix folder to AoE2DE kthx

2 Likes

If you rename it to whatever the actual game folder name is, Steam shouldn’t redownload any existing files that don’t need changing. At least, that’s how it works for regular game downloads from Steam, though I haven’t tried this with files from a beta before.

2 Likes

So, wait, are you saying that there is a way to not have to download the game again when it is released (so that old game files are used)? If that’s the case, I’d be interested in learning how to do this - I presume there will have to be a sort of an update that I would need?

Also, I was wondering if my saved game files from the beta will work in the actual game or not?

1 Like

@Licidy, with all due respect, the instructions you posted are incomplete. You said, how to delete main game files, but in additition to those, the game installed on my computer 2 profile folders (old and new) and a lot of registry keys.

I post all the files and registry keys I found about the game in here so that people can find those on their computers for deletion, but it would have been better, if uninstall would have deleted them itself or you would at least have posted utility for deleting them.

1. Folder “steamapps\common\Phoenix”
  2. Folder “Users{username}\Games\Age of Empires 2 DE”
  3. Folder “Users{username}\AppData\Local\age2_x1”
  4. Desktop shortcut “Age of Empires II Definitive Edition”
  5. Registry “Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II DE”
  6. Registry “Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache” - “D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Phoenix\AoE2DE_s.exe.ApplicationCompany” and “D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Phoenix\AoE2DE_s.exe.FriendlyAppName”
  7. Registry “Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache” - “D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Phoenix\AoE2DE_s.exe.ApplicationCompany” and “D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Phoenix\AoE2DE_s.exe.FriendlyAppName”
  8. Registry “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules” - “{885F9D2A-A37D-4B04-937C-2FC6050EB909}”, “{FADD90F3-E327-4364-A6CC-51D4C80782D0}”, “TCP Query User{37979FB7-0A41-4F31-9181-A6C69655C29A}D:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\phoenix\aoe2de_s_d9.exe” and “UDP Query User{41FC40DC-2D82-4B95-8327-A63038F39CEE}D:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\phoenix\aoe2de_s_d9.exe”
  9. Registry “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules” - “{885F9D2A-A37D-4B04-937C-2FC6050EB909}”, “{FADD90F3-E327-4364-A6CC-51D4C80782D0}”, “TCP Query User{37979FB7-0A41-4F31-9181-A6C69655C29A}D:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\phoenix\aoe2de_s_d9.exe”, “UDP Query User{41FC40DC-2D82-4B95-8327-A63038F39CEE}D:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\phoenix\aoe2de_s_d9.exe”
  10. Registry “Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-979544367-3704703681-43687730-1001\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache” - “D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Phoenix\AoE2DE_s.exe.ApplicationCompany” and “D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Phoenix\AoE2DE_s.exe.FriendlyAppName”
  11. Registry “Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-979544367-3704703681-43687730-1001\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires II DE”
  12. Registry “Computer\HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-979544367-3704703681-43687730-1001_Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache” - “D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Phoenix\AoE2DE_s.exe.ApplicationCompany” and “D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Phoenix\AoE2DE_s.exe.FriendlyAppName”

EDIT: While deleting registry keys it is important to remember, that addresses are somewhat different on different computers. Also some registry keys seem to be referenced from multiple addresses, so deleting them from one address deletes them also from another.
Anyways, I got beta stuff deleted now on my computer and am ready for released game :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey guys,
Now that the beta has ended I can’t access the game in my library to delete the beta files. I found a folder under the name phoenix in common steam apps that has some of them in it. Just not sure if I just need to delete that folder only. Any insight would be really appreciated as the game is quite large and need the space for its release! :slight_smile:

i think that you just need to right click on the game in the your steam library > properties
then go to BETAS tab and in “select what beta you want to opt into” choose NONE

1 Like
  1. Tap your Windows Key .
  2. Search for “Add or remove programs.”
  3. Find Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Beta in the program list.
  4. click on Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Beta and select Uninstall.
  5. Follow the prompts to remove the files from your hard drive.
  1. Start the download of the game, then pause it
  2. Check the new folder name created in steamapps.
  3. Move all files already in there to the Phoenix folder
  4. Delete the empty folder and rename the Phoenix folder to the new name.
  5. Restart the download

Steam should recognize existing files and won’t redownload if there are no changes.

I would recommend verifying files afterwards to make sure this worked fine.

Save games from the beta might be useable, but there’s no guarantee.

Hi,

I posted a similar post in the beta forums which have since closed. I am unsure of how to -completely- uninstall the beta, including registry keys and not just deleting the file. A developer posted a link to a forum post that would be available to view after the beta forum closed - however I am unable to access this link as well.

The link:

The message I get:

Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.

Any help would be appreciated.

You’re in the wrong forum. This forum section is about AoE1 DE and not AoE2 DE.

As the beta is over, they immediately close beta forums.

Either way, you probably installed it through Steam like everybody else and thus you should delete it from your Steam library and manually remove folders, if any left over.

@RadiatingBlade edit: Merged topic with existing helpful topic from the Age team.

1 Like

Please see this reply of mine. You will probably have somewhat different registry key addresses, but hopefully it will at least give you some insight, what to search for :slight_smile:
I did full search for “age of empires” in my registry.

I deleted the ‘phoenix’ folder. Now I have to download the whole game again. :smiley:
Thanks steam.

Update: That didn’t work. Solution: Uninstall the AoE2DE in Steam, then delete the ‘phoenix’ folder again and after that install AoE2DE again via Steam. In my case that worked.

So the correct solution is as follows:

Uninstalling AOE2:DE Beta Steam Version

1. In Steam, go to “Steam” in the top-right, and select Settings from the drop-down.
  2. In Settings, go to Downloads, and click “Steam Library Folders”
  3. The Library Folders pop-up will indicate the file pathway where you are currently saving Steam game file
  4. Open a Folder, and navigate to the file pathway indicated in your Library Folders
  5. From this folder, go to steamapps -> common
  6. You should see a folder named “Phoenix” (See below if you do not)
  7. Go back to Steam and uninstall AoE2:DE there.
  8. Delete now the “Phoenix” folder from step 6.
  9. Install AoE2:DE again via steam.

And i have the same problem ! Let’s play later :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just downloaded the game from Steam and it installed to a folder called Phoenix. So this advice was a complete waste of time.

Thank you so much. My comment was actually moved to this thread since I posted it in the wrong topic. I was trying to find my way back to this thread because I saw a preview of your comment and then lost access to the thread even though I was logged in.

You’re a lifesaver.

And yes, its funny that the suggested solution to uninstalling the game is just to delete the game files in the Steam folder. I hate the idea of unnecessary clutter elsewhere on my PC.

1 Like

Hi, I have a problem, I played the AOE II Definitive Edition BETA and then decided to buy it at the Steam store. When the game was officially launched on November 14, I found that the game disappeared from my library, and now I have to buy it again. Steam support refuses to give me the game I bought, I need help. I have the proof of payment.