Unit Formations

I remember in AOE II you could put selected units into a couple of basic formations. I think this would be a welcome edition to AOE DE. Taking it a step further, adding unique formations to each civilizations, like the wedge column used by the Romans at the Battle of Watling Street or a proper phalanx for the Greeks etc… thoughts?

First one yes. Second one I don’t know. How do you see it with Shang then?

I agree with @LegoVogel I would be nice to have a few basic formations for example ranged back/infantry in the front. But I don’t think those civ special formations do any good, you will use mostly those basic formations to get ranged dudes behind the infantry… It wouldn’t give a really big advantage.

I would really like some basic formations to get your archers behind your infantry, or quickly push your cavalry in front of your archers…

I don’t like formations.
I prefer more micromanagement over comfort

@Zsombro said:
I don’t like formations.
Edit: I prefer more micromanagement over comfort

Just like I said before, I see formations more like little tactical movements for when you sent troops away or during a battle with someone else… This encourages more tactical thinking and use of your units, and which units too choose… This way there won’t be 1 civ with 1 unit being overused because it’s just better than all the others…

I dont like formations, specially if they form slowly just like aoe 2, it would really slow down the battle speed. Plus Im not sure if all civs, historically speaking, used formations to battle.

@MrDeur said:

@Zsombro said:
I don’t like formations.
Edit: I prefer more micromanagement over comfort

Just like I said before, I see formations more like little tactical movements for when you sent troops away or during a battle with someone else… This encourages more tactical thinking and use of your units, and which units too choose… This way there won’t be 1 civ with 1 unit being overused because it’s just better than all the others…

If 1 unit is overused then it should be balanced like adding counter units. If the game is well balanced then units would be rotationg on the battlefield or there would be composite armies.

@Zsombro said:
I don’t like formations.

I like to see formations being added. Especially for the legions, which very much popularized formations as a whole.

Also I would like to see patrolling being added. So I can have my own military parades. :smiley:

@LegoVogel Agreed, Parades are a must have ^^ :smiley:

@LegoVogel said:

@Zsombro said:
I don’t like formations.

I like to see formations being added. Especially for the legions, which very much popularized formations as a whole.

Also I would like to see patrolling being added. So I can have my own military parades. :smiley:

There are other games where you can watch marching legions for hours :smiley:

Patrolling… patrolling… hm… lemme think about it… not sure if it would be good or bad without formations.

@Zsombro said:
There are other games where you can watch marching legions for hours :smiley:

True. But not with the blessing of a priest :stuck_out_tongue:

@LegoVogel said:
True. But not with the blessing of a priest :stuck_out_tongue:

I give up! I just simply can not argue with this :smiley:

Yeah I really hope they do add formations, it always helped me organize.

Give up, they don’t will add this.