Unit scale and formations

The ONLY things that bothered me about the original Age Of Empires, and likewise the new Definitive Edition, were the scale/size of the units, specifically infantry, villagers and cavalry, relative to the buildings, trees and boats, and the lack of unit formations. The units look like giants when compared to the buildings and trees they stand next too in this game, it’s entirely unrealistic and invokes a ‘cartoony’ feel over the game. I’ve always wanted to halve their size or the sake of realism. I think the game would greatly benefit from scaling down the units but keeping their stats, population limit etc the same, nothing more. It will look A LOT better in my opinion, maybe it can be and option in the options tab. I know it is possible because modders in the Age of Empires 2 HD community on Steam have released very popular mods that scale down the trees in that game by editing the SLP files.

Also Is it possible implement unit line formations when selecting and moving any group of units like there is in all the other of the Empires/Mythology titles? if so that would be awesome to.

just getting my community badge over here…

@OpossumAmeise02 said:

thats just rude…

@topic
i think it might be ok for the scale to be not to realistic. I personally liked the look’n feel of AoE.

AoE is a lot of things, but it has never been a sim. The units are always cartoony and larger than real life. Regardless, I am sure the graphic style they showed us will be what comes with the game. I instead hope they add an idle villager button and some of the other standards of living we have been accustomed to from the sequels.

1 Like

ive never been bothered by the unit scales though i might agree the formations or something resembling it but not to similar to aoe2s system would be nice, better unit control i would say considered units moved in unison regardless of where they were located on the map with lack of cohesion

1 Like

@L0per5 said:

@OpossumAmeise02 said:

thats just rude…

@topic
i think it might be ok for the scale to be not to realistic. I personally liked the look’n feel of AoE.

I was just trying to get my badge dude

@“Andy P” said:
AoE is a lot of things, but it has never been a sim. The units are always cartoony and larger than real life. Regardless, I am sure the graphic style they showed us will be what comes with the game. I instead hope they add an idle villager button and some of the other standards of living we have been accustomed to from the sequels.

An idle villager button was in the original AoE after a patch or two, hopefully some of those “other standards of living” are present too.

@topic
I prefer the units to be large, even if its at a laughable scale. It helps me know what i’m looking at, how many units I have, and its makes it easier for me to select them.

I agree, that’s the way I feel too. I just wish they would make the units and buildings realistic proportions.

I think with the new zoom options, there should be the ability to zoom in, with realistic proportions, then see the units at the current larger scale, but also then zoomed in and the buildings would be larger.

They can either scale down the units, or scale up the buildings. I personally think the buildings and objects (like trees, rocks, etc) should be scaled up, it would make the battles and the villages/towns/empires more epic looking with life-size buildings and environments.

That added with the zoom out option and you basically have the current scale if you want, with smaller units, just a life-like perspective.

Hopefully they will do this in AoE 4 at the very least.

@L0lCak3s said:
An idle villager button was in the original AoE after a patch or two,
Fair enough. I didn’t realize/remember that!

@MintPuppy730759 said:
I just wish they would make the units and buildings realistic proportions.

I think the problem is that we would then be forced to either be zoomed in too far so that we could click on the units properly but wouldn’t have a good view of the neighborhood or zoomed out too far so that we could have a good view of the neighborhood but couldn’t easily click on each unit.

Even though the normal AoE oversized units are unrealistic, I think they are necessary to make the game playable.

Yeah, I think the huge units are there for gameplay value, not realism. For me, the former trumps the latter, although with 21st century resolutions a downscaling of the units could be possible…but a part of me feels like the game won’t feel the same, yknow? Then again, that’s probably just the nostalgia speaking…

@“Andy P” said:

@MintPuppy730759 said:
I just wish they would make the units and buildings realistic proportions.

I think the problem is that we would then be forced to either be zoomed in too far so that we could click on the units properly but wouldn’t have a good view of the neighborhood or zoomed out too far so that we could have a good view of the neighborhood but couldn’t easily click on each unit.

Even though the normal AoE oversized units are unrealistic, I think they are necessary to make the game playable.

I think it used to be the case when monitors were smaller… now a days with the high resolution you could easily make the units smaller, or better yet, keep the units the same size and make the buildings and environment bigger.

Many games have the big head option, it would be nice that the size would be optional between realistic and the actual, i hope the improve formations and i would prefer a realistic too

Totally agree… building should be be bigger!!! Or at least have an options where you can switch between “normal” size buildings and “realistic” size buildings… or at least a little bit bigger buildings would work great ! ! ! !!! The game looks so awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, it has a greater resolution, zoom… it’s ready to have a litte bit bigger buildings… I totally disagree it would ruin the game.

I agree with you, I like to feel like I’m playing something close to reality, it helps immersion and engagement, imho, and this is an issue

Unit formation now

^
I’ve always dreamed of being able to make custom formations for my units. (A catapult surrounded by Hoplites
would be legendary)

I have modded AOE 1 units into AOE 2 HD and it’s so cool seeing them walk in proper formations.

yes ! archers surrounded by box formation phalanx would be nice

making the units smaller relative to the building makes it much harder to coltron individual units I think. I really like how it is now. It was never meant to be realistic.

Is it just me, or have they made the proportions in scale (building vs unit) a little bit better?
From what I saw from the screenshots, it did look that way.