Units are idling during combat

Game Version:

• Build (101.101.32911.0 4395365)
  • Platform (Steam)

Issue:

I just tried to play Tannenberg scenario and in several playthroughs each time many of my units standed still near enemy units for who-knows-what reasons. I had to constantly look around the battlefield and search for idle units in order to give them specific orders to attack some enemy units, which were nearby and who the units should have attacked themselves. Often enemy units run past my units while my units did not react.
Yes, this scenario had 200+ units fighting at the same time, which is a lot, but unit idling during battles appeared to be a serious problem, which made me a babysitter and ruined enjoyment.

Plenty of people have reported this issue here and there, but I thought, that dedicated topic is needed for this issue.

You can see from this video good examples of unit idling during combat.

I think, that this issue might be largely caused by units fixating on attacking some specific enemy unit and not realizing, that there is no path to him. So instead of giving up on that enemy unit and switching target to other enemy unit, they just stare/run at unreachable enemy unit till he dies.
This issue is not specific to right-click. Even when I select group of idling units and press “stop”, they still stay idle, although there are clear paths to reachable nearby enemy units.
So maybe performing more frequent pathfinding checks for nearby enemy units, to find one, who can be reached, might help solve the issue :slightly_smiling_face:

Most important - I don’t see this kind of behavior in AOC/HD.

2 Likes