Units attack closest Target over commanded target

I’ve needlessly lost so, so many cavalry units to this. I’ll right click some siege behind out of position spears thinking all the cavalry will go in a straight line to the siege, but then have some of them suddenly change direction and go for the spears instead without any attack commands unless I spam right click on the siege. I don’t know what’s causing this problem, but it’s terrible.

3 Likes

YES!! me too! thats the worst! I feel like rage quiting when that happens!

You have to keep spamming right click on the unit you want them to attack and it ties you to that battle until its over, you have no time for anything else

You shouldn’t right click on the unit. You should right click next to that unit, and only click on it when your unit is close to it.

2 Likes

thats a nice work around… will take some time getting used to it though after over 2000 hours of playing HD and right clicking units I wanted to focus on

I still hope it goes back to the way it used to be

2 Likes

Indeed. The current behavior is a huge bug because it makes the attack command (right clicking) completely useless. If I see a weak villager with my scouts and he has 2 spearmen out following my scouts, I want the scouts to attack the vill, not the spearmen.

4 Likes

Had the same thing today. Wanted to take out a low HP villager with my scout, but instead the scout decided to attack the nearby spearman instead.

1 Like

Same here. When I send some cavalry to destroy enemy trebuchets, they instead attack enemy halberdiers. So, cavalry dead + own castle destroyed combo. GG, bug, GG.

2 Likes

From my testing it appears as though the unit will direct to a target if it is in stand-ground stance. My current practice is to use the stand-ground and defensive stance hotkeys in quick succession to target weak units and then engage effectively afterwards. But this is not a good situation because it requires me to move my attention back to the fight. If you forget about it, your units stand there contemplating life while getting a hail of arrows to the face. It should be possible to target a unit on defensive stance, so that they will auto-engage once the target has been killed without an extra command. Therefore, we probably need one of the following:
Double click to target, regardless of stance (I would consider being able to target while even in aggressive stance to also be a useful feature).
Revert to the old default, and include a tutorial for new players.
Some other hotkey for target attack.
Keep the current version, but have them pursue the target for at least 3 seconds before giving up and moving to the closest target.

1 Like

I havent noticed a difference between stands but I think the double clicking idea could work if the devs are so concerned about new players losing units by making them all attack one target. New players usually wait till they are imp and have giant armies before fighting so maybe thats why they changed it.

I’m getting the impression with the latest patch right clicking a unit to attack goes automatically into patrol, instead of attacking the unit you want (mangonel, villager, bombard cannon, treb) your knights will rather attack as they would patrol.

I know lots of lower rated players might not know about patrol or attack move, so you want to make attacking with just right click better for them, but please let us still target the units we actually want to kill.

3 Likes

Yes, it really does feel like thats whats happening. It would be really helpful and I would appreciate it very much if there was an explanation by the devs regarding this behaviour and if its intended or not.

4 Likes

Can also confirm, it’s actually game breaking

3 Likes

I’ve experience this too, makes micro a lot more difficult

2 Likes

Reverting to the behavior before latest patch should suit everyone :slightly_smiling_face: Because that is similar to behavior in AOC/HD, which people are used to.
Right-clicked units should keep reasonable compromise between focusing on target and spreading to nearby enemy units like they always have done.

I tested same combat situation in HD and DE and indeed, units in DE switch much more easily from target to nearby enemy units than in HD. This makes it hard to snipe enemy siege units, monks, etc. Behavior in HD is much better.

2 Likes

This has been annoying me so much!!!

Thank you for the report! We already have a fix in the works which should appear in a future build. Watch for it, then let us know if it continues to be a problem after that point.

Thanks again!

8 Likes

Game Version:

• Build (####) 101.101.35584.0 4714640
  • Platform (Steam or Microsoft Store) : Steam

Issue:

Melee units do not obey and attack peasants around instead of kings in Regicid, when you right click on a king.

Reproduction Steps:

1. In Editor, put a king in the middle of a bunch of villains, with a wall around them
  2. Put some Goede warriors
  3. Try to attack the king with a right click
  4. See half of your goede warriors attacking peasants but not the king

(ATTACH A SCREENSHOT IF YOU ARE ABLE!)

Game Version:

• Build 101.101.35584.0 4714640
  • Platform: Steam

Issue:

I’m not sure if this is an intended feature, but it feels wrong when I encounter it during play. I’m also not sure if this is simply a pathing issue, which I know is ongoing. Essentially, if when manually attacking enemy unit A, your unit encounters unit B en route to A, then your unit will ignore the attack order, and instead fight the unit it encountered (B).

This perceived issue does not occur when your units are on ‘stand ground’ stance.

Reproduction Steps:

Setup:

1. A group of your melee units
  2. A group of target enemy units (A)
  3. A group of enemy units (B) between your units and group A
  4. Target/attack (right-click by default) a unit in group A
  5. Observe that your units will stop to fight group B

Video Reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1c7I-vYCo

1 Like