Units Hidden in Scenario Editor based on Selected Player Age

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Onager is never available, Siege Onager is only available in post-imp, mangonel available in dark-castle.
I also noticed the same thing with Militia. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was with other units as well.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

100%

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Open the Editor
  2. Select a player starting age
  3. Observe units not matching to that age to disappear from the units list.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

That I be allowed to select units regardless of the age selected as has always been the case .

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

1 Like

Unable to reproduce, every item seem available in the list to me regardless of the Age selected.

Did you try it with Huns perchance?

No, I think I had Goths when I checked.

I reproduced it with build 101.102.33868.0 (#99404) 12936891 using the below steps, but from what I remember this issue dates back to the CD version.

1. Open the game.
  2. Open the scenario editor: the create scenario
  3. Create scenario.
  4. Click units: archer, arbalester, and crossbowman are all present.
  5. Set starting age to imperial age, click units: archer has disappeared. (note: sometimes if you had clicked archer before changing the age you’ll automatically be selected on crossbowman when you go back to the Units tab)

Additional testing steps to help narrow down on the issue:

1. Set starting age back to feudal or dark: the crossbowman will have disappeared, and the archer reappeared, when you switch back to the units tab.
  2. Set starting age to post Imperial age: the archer will have disappeared, and the crossbowman will still not show up, leaving only the arbalester available for placement.
  3. If you set the starting age back to dark, feudal, or castle the arbalester will disappear again and the archer reappear. If you set the starting age to imperial age then only the crossbowman will be visible again.

I’m worried this is a design “feature”. If so, I want you, and everyone that it may concern, to know that I think it’s terrible and should be removed or a toggle option added to show the “obsolete” units.

And while on a related subject I wouldn’t mind an option to show every unit/object in all, or the most relevant, fields. Including, but not limited to, projectiles, eye candy, partially implemented units, building attachments etc.

Anyways, good luck!

1 Like

Oh yes, this has been the case since AOK as far as I can recall. And selecting Post-Imperial Age in options also enables exclusively top tier units regardless of the actual technology tree of the selected civilization. But still, on start of the game, things are set correctly, so no real biggie here.

If you absolutely want to select Feudal Age untis for an Imperial Age player, you can always set their starting age to Castle Age and set them in Imperial via triggers on second 1 of the game, and have triggers set the wanted technology level you’re aiming for.