Unlimited Map Bans?

Who cares? Let me play the map I want against someone with similar skill on that map who also wants to play it.
I don’t care about entire “I am better cos I have more puntos” contest, the main purpose of matchmaking is to create fair, balanced and fun matches, the d*** measuring contest through elo is secondary

4 Likes

What about having a ranked lobby in addition to the queue?

1 Like

And in sc2, Ratings for 3v3/4v4 are beyond meanigless because the player Pool just gets way too small. Therefor, matches are very imbalanced. And thats with a bigger playerbase.

Two people that don’t get the point.

If the purpose is to find fun and balanced matches, you’re going to inflate your ELO playing against people on the map you favor, then anytime you decide you’d like to do something different you’ll get yourself utterly wrecked. That doesn’t matter if you’re never going to change maps in your entire life, but then the problem is that ELO simply doesn’t matter anymore, for all the reasons I’ve mentioned.

It’s entirely possible you don’t care. That’s unfortunate.

But then it will only take few matches before my elo is adjusted again and I can play balanced matches again.

And there are many other ways to inflate/deflate elo: I can pick only the best civs instead of going random, I can lame every game, using cheesy strat like inca vil rush…and then once I go back to my “usual” play, I can get wrecked a lot. The opposite is possible too: I can take coaching sessions, practice build orders in singleplayer, practice with friends in lobbies for a long time etc, then get back to ranked queue and wreck everyone because I improved a lot.

But in all those cases (well, maybe unless I am intentionally losing games) the matchmaking will bring me balanced matches after just few games.

Well, no, I don’t care. Having (in)accurate elo in much less important than having fun matches

1 Like

Nowhere near as hard as you’ll get wrecked if you would switch to playing only Islands for a month. The map is the most important part of any gameplan, “OP” strats hardly make a 3% dent in the overall winrate as far as statistics are concerned. Different maps on the same civ, on the other hand, literally are 20% swings…

Conflating these two things is giving way too much credit to even the best strategies in AOE2. Map is more important than all those factors combined, by a factor of three or more.

How exactly, do you think the game figures out what matches are good?

If you don’t actually have the higher skill to back this up with, your elo won’t rise nearly as much as you think. I do not mean it offensively, but the higher level you get, the more likely it is that you encounter players that can counter your strategies better (having possibly already encountered it many times), or might just simply micro much better than you in decisive moments.

With that being said, the current elo is definitely possible to skew, because if you simply only play a narrow set of map styles, you’re probably not going to do as well on map styles you rarely play.

Of course I know it is by elo, that’s exactly why I think it’s ok if elo only reflects the skill in types of games (maps, civs…) that the player plays. If someone only plays Boglands with Japanese, and he can beat 2k players in this match (just example), but only plays like 18xx on other maps/with other civs, his elo should be 2k, because this will lead to balanced matches.

Same goes for playing only one map. Someone who doesn’t play Arena at all won’t lose there to player who is hundreds elo points below him. I would say elo-gain by playing only one (S-tier) civ and by playing only one map is comparable.

Yes. TG mappool is awful right now. Can’t play TG

You underestimate how well elo travels between maps because you conveniently ignore 20 years of history and that currenly alt-f4 is widespread so elo is not being averaged out for everyone. Also average elo is just average elo, it means your elo is not accurate for any specific map. It’s a concept out of convenience not to achieve the best accuracy.

The way maps are picked is seperate from how elo is calculated, so you could have an opt-in system where elo is calculated from open/closed/hybrid ladders. It doesn’t need a seperate ladder per map at all if elo accuracy is a concern.

You don’t have to pretend as if these ideas haven’t been out there already.

Typical baseless fearmongering.

1 Like

Allow infinite bans and end this alt+f4 crap

4 Likes