This is a more in-depth explanation of my thread earlier.
This game was not ready for release. It has so many bugs that it is unplayable. To name a few:
- The “censor chat” is much too sensitive. A player in a lobby earlier asked the host to kick a bot. I didn’t see a bot, so I typed, “bot?” in the chat. That was censored. There is no option to turn off censor chat. I am twenty-four years old. I can stomach words as naughty as “bot.”
- I receive the error “you have been removed from the game because your map does not match the host,” even when the host selects “All Maps” in the lobby.
- I just (attempted) to play a 3v3 game. Only five of the players displayed in the lobby although six did in fact load into the game itself.
- I have 1 gbps internet. However, my latency flashes between red and green in-game. It seems this causes lag for other players. Not sure what could be wrong, but it surely isn’t on my end given the $105 per month I spend on internet.
- I was unable to change my home city while waiting in several lobbies tonight.
- Several gaps are missing in the game files–there are units with no voiceovers (particularly with the new civs) and some of the balance changes are just silly (instant petards available to Sweden; instant cav removed from France).
- I still can’t add people to my friend’s list nor invite friends via Steam. Invitations sent via steam are not received by the other player.
- The AI is weak, even on “extreme” difficulty. Curiously, I played a 1 v 7 game with extreme difficulty AIs and the Aztec AI tried to rush me with a (single) skull knight, then did nothing else for the rest of the game. He tried to siege my TC with the skull knight at approximately 3:30 game time.
- I half-join lobbies sometimes. I can see chats other players in the lobby send, but can’t send any of my own. I cannot see the information for other players (civs, usernames), nor can I see my own information when I “load in”
I love Age of Empires 3, and hope these issues are remedied soon. I will return my purchase if some of these issues are not remedied within a month.