Updated civ stats from reddit user

And also to upgrade Knights a lot faster

This aspect was already nerfed by making it the imp UT.

Still isn’t even close to be a balanced effect though.
Other spamming units UTs comes with balance:
Goths with Perfusion and TB, they lack last armor upgrade
Steppe Hubsandry only affects unit production, also affects units that are weaker by a lot.

Anyway all the frankish player can do is queue both Chivalry and Cavalier, so at the end you still get super fast upgraded cavalier-paladin afterall

Remove last attack or last armor to Franks!!!

No it just destroy their cavalry unneccesarily
Frankish paladins are fine, Frankish paladins being spammable ISN’T fine
Think in a moment if you give Chivalry to Teutons or Lithuanians
Oh yea it would be super broken

They can be spammable if they lose the last armor (similar to goths)
Otherwise you need to hurt their eco (that would be disgrace)

But you also have to take conscription into account (ie.if you click conscription asap now it’s time not spent on chivalry). Plus chivalry only truely affects one unit. Like ig it helps for light cav spam but then it’s way worse than steppe husbandry for that. I suppose Teutons with chivalry might be balanced because they truely only have one viable stable unit, but Liths with it would become madness 11 (especially if it replaces hill fort)

1 Like

Besides franks, the other one that requieres nerf are my beloved mayans

And bloodlines
 Wait

1 Like

Chivalry only affects this, even remotely, in a 200 pop game with continual losses. Beyond that, the difference between having 40% faster working stables and 40% more stables is practically nothing.

Further, later stables can be placed in more active locations, thus making reinforcement times faster. You can’t claim Chivalry helps you with this and simultaneously ignore the distinct opportunity for more stables to do the same, which is the point.

1 Like

Hi all,

I’ve updated the stats on the site to now cover the most recent patch with the longsword changes (just in time to be outdated by the new PUP :slight_smile: ). The included date range is now 2021-10-12 - 2021-11-01.

Stats are available here
Code is available here

Otherwise the change log is:

• Migrated to a new server and registered it under the domain ageofstatistics.com
  • Reworked the site layout to actually have some navigation
  • Included new output of play rate by Elo
  • Removed the EW team game cohort as there just isn’t enough data atm and some of the models were crashing
  • Reworded some of the FAQs

Though I must say I am a bit skeptical of the results atm; in particular the Lithuanians suddenly becoming super dominant despite no significant changes is very suspicious. I plan on doing a full review of my code sometime this / next week to make sure there are no bugs as this defo seems a bit off to me

EDIT: Please be gentle in terms of feedback relating to the styling and navigation of the site :slight_smile: . I am not a webdev and have been having to learn as I go!

EDIT: Also big thanks to the guys on the siege engineers discord channel who gave tons of advice / help with regards to the webserver hosting !

7 Likes

Post it in reddit so you can assess more variated feedback.

1 Like

done :slight_smile:

Lithuanians are above everything else because of Aftermath being literally an auto win map for them. So just remove this map from your calcs because there is nothing interesting to say about it. The people I know who put themselves through the hassle of trying to counter Lith on this map couldn’t find anything that works.

1 Like

O interesting, I haven’t really kept up with the current meta on this map. What makes lith so dominant ? I can’t make up my mind on whether its worth removing it because its clearly broken or leaving it in because its the reality of what’s happening ?

On aftermath you start with a barracks, tons of houses, and there are two trade workshops on the map that give you a huge trickle of ressources, so the meta is to queue militia as soon as the game start to get them. The Lithuanian bonus means that if you build 3 militia to go contest the workshops you’re only down 30 food compared to the standard start while even Goths are down 150-ish food, so their advantage just can’t be overcomed.

1 Like

In that case I think I can justify removing it as its kinda a completely separate map class like nomad really. As in it sounds like it has a completely different play style to other maps in the “open” category. I was planning on updating the stats with more data in 3-4 days time so will remove the map then.

You were bang on the money though
 after removing aftermath:

6 Likes

Which is why statistics, especially winrates, are inherently flawed, providing the barest of insights to those with none.

Your spreadsheet would likely have pushed some person, fresh salt from a VS Lith game, to post a thread complaining about Lith absurd brokeness and asking for nerfs. But, one reasonably informed player simply adding a tiny bit of actual nuance to the data, and the problem vanishes.

Not to say that all statistical discrepancies would simply vanish like this one does, but it means that you should always take winrates, and flat statistics in general, with a grain of salt, and certainly not to become the basis for any amount of opinion on the subject wherein the statistics are drawn.

3 Likes

Nevertheless should we continue discussing about the 150 free starting food. Especially with respect to that map cause I think the concept could be interesting in general if lith wouldn’t be so OP on these settings.

I think aftermath could be a very interesting map if the ressource trickle would be a bit lower and we wouldn’t have lith to be able to 4-minute drush and snowball from there.

I think this map clearly shows that 150 starting food is just too much and it would benefit the civ if this bonus would be a bit more moderate.(Lith could get a small bonus somewhere else)

And btw we already had the discussion about lith months ago that exactly was about that this bonus is just a bit too much for a starting bonus, so it was known that it can cause problems when maps snowball very fast. Ofc then we discussed hybrid maps, but you see in aftermath how rigged that single bonus is actually.

As a teacher of mine said:

Data are only data. Information results from the the use of the data.

1 Like