⚠ IMPORTANT ⚠ Stuck on AoE:DE Build 27674? Upgrade to the latest client! (Windows Store)

Hello, and welcome to the official release of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition on Steam! For those of you who have been playing and waiting for this moment to play with your friends, there’s just one more step for you to take:

In order to enjoy all the benefits of cross-network play, existing owners of AoE: Definitive Edition on the Windows Store will need to download a brand-new client. This is a completely free download for anyone who already has AoE: Definitive Edition in their Windows Store library.

Note: If you see a GREY client image, you are running the OLD game client.

Don’t panic; all your existing game saves, progress, and even your unlocked achievements will be transferred. In fact, any achievements you’ve earned in AoE: Definitive Edition will automatically unlock in the new client and even count towards your Xbox Gamerscore—so enjoy the double points!

Updating to the NEW AoE:DE client…

If you already own Age of Empires: Definitive Edition in your Windows Store game library, you can download the new version of the game for free:

:rotating_light: IMPORTANT :rotating_light:

You must be on Windows 10 version 1903 to be able to play on the new client. Be sure to run your Windows Updater if you are not already on the latest version of Windows. More information on how to update Windows here.

1.Open the Microsoft Store . You can do this by pressing the Windows key and then typing ‘Store.’
2. Search for Age of Empires: Definitive Edition .
3. Click on the Age of Empires: Definitive Edition tile to enter the store page.
4. Click Get. The game should be automatically added to your library.
5. Click Install to begin downloading the game.

You may safely remove the old client at any point during the process to free up space; your progress will still transfer even if you’ve removed the old client. Note that you will still be able to access and play the original AoE: Definitive Edition if you desire, but it will no longer receive updates nor be available for purchase in the Microsoft Store.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Do I have to upgrade to the new client if I purchased the game on or after August 19, 2019?

Answer...

Not at all! If you don’t own Age of Empires: Definitive Edition yet, you can purchase it on the Windows Store or Steam to download the correct client version:

I own the game on the Windows Store; will it be unlocked for free on Steam?

Answer...

No. Though after August 19, 2019, anyone who owns the game will be able to play cross-network with any other player regardless of their platform.

What happens if my friend buys the old client?

Answer...

As of this announcement, the old client is no longer available on the Store. This means that anyone who buys Age of Empires: Definitive Edition after August 19, 2019 will automatically download and receive the new client.

What is transferred to the new client?

Answer...

When you download the new Age of Empires: Definitive Edition client, here is the information that will be maintained from the original game client:

• Game Saves
  • Campaign Progress
  • Unlocked Achievements
  • Custom Scenarios

What is NOT transferred to the new client?

Answer...

Unfortunately, there are a few things that could not be transferred:

• Cross-network play will not be available between the original AoE: DE client and any other platform
  • ELO will not be transferred
  • Keybinds and other settings will not be transferred
  • Progress on partially-completed achievements is NOT carried over

It is recommended that you take note of your keybinds before removing your old client, as you will need to customize them again when you launch the new client.

Wait; can I still unlock achievements on the old client?

Answer...

Yep! In fact, both the old client and new client can be played to up your Gamerscore. If you’re dedicated enough to play and unlock everything, all the power to you!

10 Likes

does this new update has proper microsoft servers for multiplayer. The games are extremely laggy on the old client and any new updates on the game?

Terrible news that Microsoft Store owners of the game are not going to be able to get free access to the Steam version. I’m stuck with a stupid bug since day 1 that automatically disables my multiplayer button and I’m forced all the fcuking time to switch user with no chance to use all the other applications I would normally have on my main user. To top it all, Microsoft support is utterly bad.

4 Likes

First one a respons to the update, then a critic.

Doesn’t work for me.
There is no step 4 (“Get”) only an install button.
The install button is locked for no reason.
Anyone else has problems with the microsoft store and the gameclient once again like me?

Furthermore I really hate that I have to buy the game again for steam access… the whole point of steam is to have a great overlay, quick chats/coordination and quick friend requests/teamups in a noticeable and intuative fashion.

Not a single one of this stuff is getting done by the xbox hub.
Seperate program you have to tab out, a message system that reminds me more in emails than in quick chats, unnoticeable and unintuative UI/requests.
It reminds me more in outlook than an actual QoL increasing overlay/game related communication program.

For me this move feels like the hardcore fans are getting punished now by still trying to keep them in the microsoft environment no matter what, not letting them the choice, even tho those players are the main supporters of your work.

4 Likes

RadiatingBladeAge Insider

1h

Announcement

Earlier today Phil Spencer on Xbox Wire announced that all the definitive editions of Age of Empires will be coming to Steam, which includes Age of Empires: Definitive Edition. For answers to all your AoE:DE on Steam questions, please see the F.A.Q. below which will be updated regularly as more info is announced. If you have a question which is not on the F.A.Q. please leave a comment below.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to repurchase the game on Steam?

No. If you own the Microsoft Store version of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition you will be able to play with Steam version players with crossplay between platforms. Source
Why do it change?

1 Like

Sorry to hear that! There’s a brand new install (free) for those that own the game on Windows Store. This will cross-play with Steam users. Let us know if you still have issues after you install the new version.

Are you updated to the 1903 Win 10 version? Let us know.

@gl8531 Nothing changed. When the Steam version of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition was announced earlier this year, cross-play with the Microsoft Store version was also announced.

Make sure you have the 1903 Windons version.

Hey magma,

People who played the Beta version said that the servers are much better.
Let’s check it out.

I am on Windows 1903

:-1: Why everyone does that? I bought Killer Instinct, they did same thing. Whatever, I will just make my AOE library here, I hate steam equally anyways.

Could you attach a print here?

Well I just checked, since I always update everything on Windows, and assumed it would be the newest one but apperantly there are no updates and I am still on 1809.

I guess you have to be some kind of Update tester or get into “Developer/preview” status for 1903?
Glad I only used Microsoft Store on this one game, cause man it causes trouble since I joined it in AoE:DE Beta.

1 Like

Sometimes you have to “force” update, download their update tool.

Everything is here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/search?query=windows%2010%20update

MY GODDNESS.
I just want to play a game that I bought of them nearly 2 years ago and don’t want to install seperate microsoft tools, get into their update wave scheeme cr…p and force myself to the newest version, only cause the store they are selling it through wants it for no particular reason.

Man I am so glad that they launched it on steam and one can leave everything of this anti-consumer gar…e behind.
Holy moly I just want to have my game updated.

2 Likes

You should be able to find the latest Windows Update (May 2019, 1903) here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-update

I got 0x80070005 error and now install seems to be stuck… is there a way to restart the Store process ?

Here are a few issues you can try to un-stick your download. I’d recommend resetting the Store’s cache at the very least: Microsoft Store Downloading But No Progress [Solved]