Vikings balance discussion

How many games even reach Imperial Age? And even then, how many games where you reach Imp Age are you able to afford enough trebs for that to be effective?

actually true it would hinder the powerspike of arbalest a bit and for the longboats not sure if 1 range will make a difference

also i personaly think they should give beserks more love and make them more of an infantry civ rather then going arbs thats why i think loosing tr might be not that bad

I don’t see this as Vikings ID, they didn’t have this from the start, it was just an addon in a rondom ballance change. I Think they should deffinetely loose it.

This is Viking ID, not free eco.

Hense why I elect that they get stronger Infantry + interesting longboat (Transport (infantry only)+ attack) use. Cheap trash + halbs.

Exactly, this should be reserved for actual archer civs, Britons,Ethiopians,Vietnamese (That we never see) .

Take away Viking arb and give them +1 bonus attack on Skirms.
Make their castles cost 450 stone + 300 wood or alter Chieftains that will allow Beserkers to be created in the TC or some such.

100% agree!

Wouldn’t longboats become much worse than galleons if they had less range?

2 Likes

Pretty sure they had this from the start.

Then why are they so popular this past half a year?
We just see Viking arb vs Viking arb wars in Pro games and that I wish to irradicate.

Game dev quote: ‘’ The Vikings are a Northern European civilization in Age of Empires II . They focus on infantry and navy."

That is what I want to see even in pro games.
So have them please lose arbs.

Dev quote 2: ‘‘Rule the rivers and seas with lithe Longboats, initiate your most fearless warriors into the Berserkergang, and set forth to plunder’’

This is the Viking ID.
Hense why I elect that they get stronger Infantry + interesting longboat (Transport (infantry only)+ attack) use. Cheap trash + halbs.

well unfortunately, infantry has pretty much always been a support unit in this game. almost every infantry civ uses something else as the core of their army. Aztecs, Incas, Japanese, and others tend to prefer archers.
Teutons prefer cavalry.
some will start with infantry or cavalry and transition into halb/siege pushes.

1 Like

That is understandable, I don’t mind seeing pros open with archers to apply early preasure but when I see Vikings, I expect them to transtion into Infantry and skirms later in the Battle and not just push forward with nothing but arbs, that sh.ts boring.

I’d love to have Viking raiders ,infantry+skirms leap from attacking longboats to raid coastal/river settelments instead of ‘‘knight rush into arbs’’ haha

One thing is sure: Viking eco definitely needs nerf. Maybe you could buff their infantry later, but berserkers are already really strong.

Yeah I love the Beserks as they currently are < I want their archers to be nerfed and for them to recieve insentive for using more infantry+skirms instead of knights + arbs.

The Longboat bonus will just add to the uniqeness and ID of the Vikings.

Ok, let us take away every civ bonus that wasn’t added to the civ from the start, so they all keep their identity

1 Like

Enter Guss making noise. What else is new. You don’t really care to know what you are talking about do you? You just have to say something.

1 Like

Vikings are designed to be strong from feudal age to early imp, that’s why they use arbalests. The only good lategame unit they have is th Zerg, that is already a very good unit, but get countered to death by archers.
As I have already ezplained in another thread, your whole idea just nake the Vikings useless.
No one is going to raid with longboats and trash and no one would make it alive to lategame to do berserkers, halbs and skirms. Besides that, if you don’t have good siege there’s no point in using infantry except halbs.

Leave them alone, you want to change them because you’d like something more historically accurate, but you’d make them worthless in a second while making the Byz op.

Also, free wheelbarrow and handcart is part of their identities, it has been there since AoK.

1 Like

Hense why I want to give them cheap trash, so the skirms aid the besrekers ,taking care of the archers as the beserkers raid.
Beserkers = raid
Cheap halb = counter cav
Cheap/Strong skirms = counter archers
No arb = more entertaining gameplay
Longboat transport = unique , interesting POTIONAL bonus

Not being able to adapt and use new strategies means that its not the civ that is ‘‘useless’’.

Why are you so addemant about the Vikings becoming ‘‘Useless’’ but you care not for civs like the Vietnamese that are never used because ‘‘pro’’ players like yourself currently find them '‘Useless’?

half a year? vikings have been popular for longer then that man.

no, it would pretty much be useless. you yourself said earlier that Byzantines are never seen anymore, and Byzantines are better right now then Vikings would be with their eco bonus removed.

Vietnamese are in a situation where they aren’t excellent, but they aren’t bad. much like Teutons.

That would the point, so far only caravel beats longboats, fires loses badly to them and once they stack they beat galleons, with one less range they would lose few numbers getting close enough so that would make the fight even.

Obviously the perfect nerf would be reducing their stack capability but also galley line needs to lose that and well i don’t think the devs are ready to rework water at all, so -1 range is like neutral ground.