Villagers blocking each other

Out of all the times where 2 villagers bumped into each other and froze in place this was the worst… Thanks DE

8 Likes

Sometimes they bump, sometimes they ignore the existence of others and simply walk through fisical bodies…

Another great day for pathfinding.

3 Likes

It was both funny and painful to watch

3 Likes

Game Version:

• Build: 36202
  • Platform: Steam
  • Operating System: Windows 10

Issue:

When two villagers walk towards each other, they keep changing direction simultaneously and stuck blocking each other. This sometimes happens to military units as well.

Reproduction Steps:

Here’s how to reproduce the problem:

I guess it’s easier to repro when having villagers gather resources in a crowded space.

ATTACHMENTS:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif

And devs, why remove the mp4 uploads and even compress gif uploads? This is highly discouraging for bug reports!

9 Likes

The hardest part to solve this bug might be to detect when villagers are stuck on such a situation. Once you have a system for that, implementing a solution is probably much easier. For example: each time 2 or more villagers are stuck for at least 3 seconds, then let all of them idle between 0 and 1 second randomly.

The exact same issue still happens in every game I play. @GMEvangelos Could we at least track this bug in Known Issues?

2 Likes

Isnt it hilarious that a 20 year old game has better pathfinding than the remake of a remake? 11

2 Likes

Yeah it really sucks. Mainly on my wood lines :triumph::triumph:

1 Like

Worst part about that is that you do not even see these villagers as being idle (when stuck with ressources they want to drop of, happening a lot in my woodlines…)

3 Likes

You are telling me there already where mp4 uploads? OMG why did they remove them???

1 Like

Yes this is so bad…

Probably the storage of videos/gifs is beyond the capacity of the server for this forum.

1 Like

Temporary fixes: (choose one of)

• put camps 1 tile away from res (so they don’t have to cross paths) (this also helps with quickwalling faster)
  • assign no more than two vils to each side of the camp if you don’t put the camp 1 tile away from res (one vil won’t have to walk to drop res, so no permanent collision)

this game wouldnt be the same without the villager bug. this bug is what makes this game THE “Definitive Edition”

2 Likes

Agreed! I have a feeling videos were taking up too much server/hard drive space, though. Really makes filing bug reports more painful for me to do, for sure

2 Likes

You are right but your suggestions only work for early economy, with fewer than 6 miners. When there are 10+ miners the bump is inevitable.

3 Likes

It happens a lot when I send 3 to deer. 2 on the way to the deer get stuck.

Or when they 3 are full of food, walking back home, 2 get stuck.

Can completely ■■■■ up the build if you don’t notice it quickly.

Pathing fix for this is difficult. Good luck devs! Think creatively.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed report! I have, indeed, entered an issue in the database to track this problem—particularly since we’ve seen more and more cases of it cropping up.

If anyone wants to go above-and-beyond, a recorded game file, screenshot, and a timestamp of when and where the issue occurs could give the team what they need to isolate and collect data about the issue! If anyone has this information, please upload it or save it to a file storage service and I’ll be sure it gets to the team!

Thanks for the reports! :+1:

4 Likes

I imagine they are in a socially awkward situation saying ‘After you, sir!’ ‘No after you’ ‘Oops’ ‘Okay, now we’re dancing!’

I understand the inefficiency due to villager bumping is an intentional game mechanic. But, I wouldn’t mind if only one villager gets bumped and the other passes straight through so long as there is empty space around them. That would prevent sticking and dancing in open areas where is makes no sense.

I always send 4 vils 2 of them stuck each other and stops walking. 4 vils magic isn’t from 4 vils can carry a deer meat 2 vil gonna stuck other 2 vil can kill deer before escaping too far.

Here’s one example I saw from Redbull Wololo 2 Finals: (Foragers at the mill)

I believe you could get the recordings from ZeroEmpires/T90/Nili?

There are multiple times in RBW2 this happened and once even Nili zoomed in on it. But I can’t find it efficiently in those 8-hour long videos. I will share my own recording when I experience it again.

3 Likes