Vote on future DLC civ-expansion by region (poll)

I don’t think finding something “cool” or not should be the basis on adding them.

5 Likes

Funnily, they propose civilizations, like Caribbeans. What would be UU? Cannibals? Or the Castles? Bungalows?

Not even stone houses, non-existant recorded history, no advanced technology or anything.

5 Likes

Well, apparently for the original Ensemble devs it was. Sandy Petersen found Poles cool too and we got them too :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Because this game is about Fun, not Realism.

I wanna see what FE can do with Mantlets, Tomahawks, Blowguns, and the like. It would be… FUN.

The chinese don’t get gunpowder. What’s that about?

Why do the celts get good siege? Neither of these are realistic.

Where are the Indian’s battle elephants. Heck, why are they called the Indians when they are very obviously the Mughals.

4 Likes

For example?

What is bias? Blowguns are useless against humans in plate armor. Caribbeans were clearly cannibals and lived in bungalows.

2 Likes

So do you want Wizards, Dragons or WW2 Tanks as a core part of the game too - for fun?

Maybe as meme units or event skins but hopefully never as a serious part of the game. The same goes for civs like Polynesians or North American tribes.

4 Likes

I’ll ignore the strawman you attempted.

This is a video game. It is about fun.

5 Likes

You don’t know what bias means?

I don’t know history as well as others but I do know that there a lot of civs that don’t meet all of your requirements

You do realize that the darts can fit in tiny cracks in tiny cracks in the armor and in the middle ages unless you were rich u didn’t have a full set of armor

Were there tanks in middle ages? Are wizards and dragons real?

5 Likes

I wonder if there is a chance for overlapping relevant civs between AOE 2 & 3?

Hausa would be a great addition to AOE2 for another African civ. Berber voice lines from 2 are added in 3 & Shotel Warriors are in both 2 & 3.

Maybe this could mean something for Haudenasaunee/Iroquois (who appear as reskinned Celts in Vinlandsaga)?

1 Like

We’ve got tons of overlap already. I agree with you about with Hausa as well as Haudenosaunee. I would love to both have them playable in AOE2.

Maybe Poles one day for AOE3 too.

3 Likes

Hausa I believe was a noble faction part of the Malians, thus the Malians evolved into the Hausa, just like how the Byzantines evolved form Eastern Rome.

1 Like

Malians are Mandinka while Hausa are Hausa. Completely different people.

3 Likes

So even more justification to add them! :smiley:

1 Like

I know you try to be objective about it and I value this. Plus most of us would like to go elsewhere first. But if You look at Euope for a moment Swiss are perhaps the most prominent civ remaining. From the shortlisted civs by RankWarrior I can never see Croats or Vlachs added, nothing so unique, no real moment of being a great power or smth. Serbs had a great struggle and slowly evolved into regional power in 14th century so its the case for them but Swiss have something unique and distinguishable about them.

Similarly to the Bohemians who werent really a great power either they had unique fighting style and offered recognisable military innovations. Swiss civ has good campaigh options and could have recognisable design. And this is the most important at this stage of the game where good civ design is harder and harder to come by and good story is needed for a decent campaign.

4 Likes

Couldnt agree more…

4 Likes

Tbh I think theres still a ton of good options for unique civs outside Europe.

1 Like

Have a look at the post again. What I said is most of us would like to go elsewhere first but were we to look at Europe for a moment Swiss is one of the best options and I compared it to the rest of the short listed options, and explaining why I find it a good option. I never argued we dont have a lot great options in other regions that could/should be visited first. I have explained enough times I would go to Africa next and Id like to see severl Africa/Asian civs before returning to Europe.

Anyway I also love focusing on civs but I realise at this stage of the game development civ designs are the big challenge not just picking “the correct” civs to add

4 Likes

Tbh I think theres still some options for civ design, but most of them are a bit unorthodox.

Like more paladin and arbalest civs

Luckily theres still a decent ammount of bonuses you can use so you just have to find a niche.

2 Likes

There are still good options leftt. indeed I realy wish devs start thinking longturm what would be the next 10 civs they could add if given the chance/task. This should help get better designed civs and leave space for good options in future. Actually I have been considering few civ designs without particular civs in mind just a design that could fit different options. I may put these into a thread and we have a discussion and possible gather more interesting civ designs similar to the yet unused bonuses thread

1 Like

Swiss have more name recognition than another remaining European civis so they make a perfect candidate.

1 Like