What about catapult balance ? hit&run balance?

Hey,

i was thinking of something.
In age of empire there was a lot of lag in multiplayer beetween order and reaction

this lag was usefull in a sense

When using catapult it was very difficult to micromanage our army to be able to avoid effectively the zone damage.
so all the archers were dying quite often.

Thank to that, the balance was good.

but what now ? with improved network, i’m very afraid that its very easy to move and avoid catapults attacks, that are very slow.

how will you do to preserve that ? that was most of the charm of the game.
big hitties cata wars…

and that not only for catapults.
but for all kind of units.

if you remove that lag, i can’t imagine what will be able to counter heavy cavalry archers that hit & run.

My suggestion : get a very slow acceleration (not speed) of units. so its very difficult to hit & run with them, and it will simulate the lag, without it being lag.
if you dont, i’m afraid the balance will be totally broke

They base the balance changes on those made in the UPatch. That includes increased projectile speed for catapults, but also decreased blast radius. I don’t know whether that makes it easier or harder for horse archers to dodge the stones, but catapults used the be the most effective counter to horse archers and I think they should remain effective at it.

The lag is not meaningful here and removing it can only improve the game. I have played AoE1 mostly in single player with no lag whatsoever and heavy catapults still work as an effective counter for horse archers.

@qweytr24 said:
They base the balance changes on those made in the UPatch. That includes increased projectile speed for catapults, but also decreased blast radius. I don’t know whether that makes it easier or harder for horse archers to dodge the stones, but catapults used the be the most effective counter to horse archers and I think they should remain effective at it.

The lag is not meaningful here and removing it can only improve the game. I have played AoE1 mostly in single player with no lag whatsoever and heavy catapults still work as an effective counter for horse archers.

The problem is that at high level with good micro you can be sure that with only one horse cavalry good managed and some time, a pro player can destroy 4 heavy catapults. Just by avoiding the trajectory of the rocks.

I dont think they should have diminished the radius of the blast.
They could have descreased the damage, if increasing the firing rate, but the radius…

It means that in 1catapult vs one other units , the damagePerSecond of the catapult have increased.
That must be overpowered if its true

@Tgaud said:
The problem is that at high level with good micro you can be sure that with only one horse cavalry good managed and some time, a pro player can destroy 4 heavy catapults. Just by avoiding the trajectory of the rocks.

As it should be. Catapults are support unit’s and should not do well if they are undefended.

Good micro should be rewarded, it is part of skill after all. I agree with @GepardenKalle here, catapults are support units first and foremost. Siege weapons are powerful, but situational.

@GepardenKalle said:

@Tgaud said:

As it should be. Catapults are support unit’s and should not do well if they are undefended.

At my time, catapult where the main army.
it was 80% catapults 20% elephant-cavalry archers.

Mass destruction against everything.

HITTIES !!!

The way to counter it, is killing it before it get to late iron age, or going to the economy, hit & run etc. because catapults are slow.
Its kinda “Mech” build for terrans in Sc2

Its kinda “Mech” build for terrans in Sc2.
Never 80% tanks on sc2 :wink: .

@Amphiprion said:

Yeah i dont compare tank and catapult composition.
I just compare the type of slow and heavy army.

@Amphiprion said:

Early days of WoL that was perfectly viable against zerg. Just had to back it up with a handful of marines and proxy bunker/turrets

@GepardenKalle said:

@Amphiprion said:

Early days of WoL that was perfectly viable against zerg. Just had to back it up with a handful of marines and proxy bunker/turrets

Thats true that Mass tank and some marine behind looks a lot like the Mass Hitties catapults with some Heavy cavalary archer behind…

No 80% tanks its not viable againt zerg XD. Not master+ level ^^.