What Era Age of Empires IV should be?

@the_choson_one said:
I’m sure it will be set on Contemporary Age. Because of:

1- From AoE IV announcement trailer: ‘‘A new age is upon us’’
2- ¿What’s the point in remastering all Age of Empires if you are going to set AoE IV in the same eras?
3- Relic Entertainment, known for Company of Heroes, Warhammer 40K and Homeworld. It’s just like some kind of spoiler.

I think all the People who want a remastered version of Age of Empires being set in the Ancient or Middle Ages should wait for a definitive edition or extended edition release first, instead of requesting AOE IV being set at those times.
And besides, the timeline has already been thought years before Ensemble Studios was closed.
Here is an image with what the original developers speculated how the whole timeline of the series would be set. I prefer it stays this way.

I agree with @ThrowingAxeman.

Also, consider Relic being brought in to develop AoE IV – a company known for WW2 and sci-fi games.

@ThrowingAxeman said:

@the_choson_one said:
I’m sure it will be set on Contemporary Age. Because of:

1- From AoE IV announcement trailer: ‘‘A new age is upon us’’
2- ¿What’s the point in remastering all Age of Empires if you are going to set AoE IV in the same eras?
3- Relic Entertainment, known for Company of Heroes, Warhammer 40K and Homeworld. It’s just like some kind of spoiler.

I think all the People who want a remastered version of Age of Empires being set in the Ancient or Middle Ages should wait for a definitive edition or extended edition release first, instead of requesting AOE IV being set at those times.
And besides, the timeline has already been thought years before Ensemble Studios was closed.
Here is an image with what the original developers speculated how the whole timeline of the series would be set. I prefer it stays this way.

Of course, this image is very important too. Btw, it’s in the last page of the Age of Empires III Collector’s Edition Artbook. At this time, I saw that image in my own artbook about 11 years and 10 months ago… it has been a long wait…

Ensemble Studios employee Sandy Petersen commented on the subject of Age 4 & 5:
“4) the collectors edition on the back page of the Art Work book there was a picture of a World War I or II solider (actualy looks like a later one a M16 is in his hands) for AOE IV how will that work
A — it was total speculation on our part.”

^-- Thank goodness. Hopefully it won’t be reality. There are infinite ways to create a medieval era-ish Age of Empires, and I’d like continued efforts in exploring them :slight_smile: It’s just a personal preference, of course… but I wouldn’t care for modern day’ish or future day AoE conflicts.

We get enough modern and future military stuff in the news, TV shows, and movies. I really didn’t like ‘Rise of Nations’ and a big part why was the era it was set in.

Also, I feel a lot of the AoE charm was lost with the 3D engine efforts of games like AoE III, AoM, RoN and the stylized Age of Empires Online stuff. I’m okay with, and actually hope, they go back to 2D sprites. But I’m not a shareholder, so take it for what its worth :wink:

1 Like

@EdmondDantes said:
^-- Thank goodness. Hopefully it won’t be reality. There are infinite ways to create a medieval era-ish Age of Empires, and I’d like continued efforts in exploring them :slight_smile: It’s just a personal preference, of course… but I wouldn’t care for modern day’ish or future day AoE conflicts.

We get enough modern and future military stuff in the news, TV shows, and movies. I really didn’t like ‘Rise of Nations’ and a big part why was the era it was set in.

Also, I feel a lot of the AoE charm was lost with the 3D engine efforts of games like AoE III, AoM, RoN and the stylized Age of Empires Online stuff. I’m okay with, and actually hope, they go back to 2D sprites. But I’m not a shareholder, so take it for what its worth :wink:

Rise of Nations covered all eras, not the modern era. It was basically a refined/improved version of Empire Earth.

A re-make/re-hash of AoE II called AoE IV would be extremely disappointing, not to mention unbelievably lazy.

Right, but Rise of Nations entered an age of modern warfare with modernized military. That aspect, among several other disappointing elements to that game, is what I remember most… and I didn’t like.

I never asked for a remake. And an AoE IV where its ending age is Medieval times does not mean a rehash. There are infinite ways to make an Age II-inspired and -faithful game while also having unique and original elements, if you are creative enough. It wouldn’t be lazy or disappointing, imo.

Saying an Age IV game would, necessarily, be lazy and a rehash of Age II is like saying every World War II movie or game is the same, or every movie or game set in the year 2150 era is the same.

If you are personally tired of games or AoE games set in historical or medieval times, then that’s just your preference, and that’s fine. But no amount of creativity or ingenuity on behalf of the developers or anyone is likely to change your mind in that case.

It sounds like you are as closed off to seeing the possibilities in a medieval AoE IV as I am to a modernized or futuristic one. I admit that I have an affinity toward historical times and period piece movies.

My perspective also comes from a perspective of being let down by AoE III and its expansions, though, along with all other AoE-like games since AoE II. I long for a new AoE game that harkens back to the gameplay, detail, approach, love, care, ages, and style of AoE II and have wished this for many years. And I feel there are already enough games and RTS that delve into modern day and futuristic settings. As well, I will forever liken the AoE franchise to historical times and long for it to remain there, simply because of what I feel the franchise is and should be; and for nostalgic reasons.

I’ve imagined gameplay and game setting ideas that I feel would be cool for an Age II-inspired AoE game. But unless or until I work for the developer, I’m not willing to share. I know many others have great ideas, too. Just remember that creativity can be pretty powerful, and try not to close your mind to the thought of a historical setting, unless your are completely opposed to the idea because of ingrained biases against such times.

I don’t think I am being close-minded, I am simply suggesting that the next Age game should be set after the previous one… as the others all were.

We already have three AoE games being remade; why not do something different with IV?

No problem. I’m sorry if I misrepresented you. I was maybe focusing too much on how you feared AoE IV becoming a shiny, new, re-labeled version of AoE II in this quote:

I guess time will tell how the developer feels. But, honestly, I have a feeling you have great reason to be quite happy with the teaser trailer and the prospects of AoE IV. The whole trailer steps us through the various AoE offerings and then in conclusion the narrator states: “Together we have battled through history; now a new age is upon us…”

To me, this is recognizing that all prior AoE games deal with historical times and is explicitly saying this new one will deal with present day and/or future. So, either this is very misleading marketing (intentional, or not), or it is telling us that AoE IV will not be set in the past.

Age of Empires Online was not a lazy rehash of AoE1. For that matter, Age of Empires: Castle Siege was not a lazy rehash of AoE2.

Those originals are 20 years old. They feel like it, too.

Just because a game takes place in the same era as another game doesn’t mean the game will be a mere rehash of said another game. AoE IV could easily take place in the ancient or medieval eras and it could still introduce new variations in the gameplay compared to the originals. A WW themed AoE would be difficult to incorporate base building without feeling out of place compared to AoE I or II.

EDIT: Going with the Contemporary because it makes sense to me that if Ensemble was around they would either make an AOE 4 on Contemporary age or a new AOM title.

@Mehkind said:
Going with the Contemporary because it makes sense to me that if Ensemble was around they would either make an AOM 2 or AOE 4 on Contemporary age.

AoM 2 in contemporary age? Seriously? Also, ES said that the image that shows AoE I-V eras was completely speculative.

@Fetandrey said:

@Mehkind said:
Going with the Contemporary because it makes sense to me that if Ensemble was around they would either make an AOM 2 or AOE 4 on Contemporary age.

AoM 2 in contemporary age? Seriously? Also, ES said that the image that shows AoE I-V eras was completely speculative.

I think you misread my comment, I said if they were around they would either make a new AOM title or AOE 4 in contemporary setting.

There is something primal about the medieval era that I can’t get over. The stone, the steel, and the technology is simply faciniating to me. Although a contemporary era would be neat, and certainly the next logical step in the timeline of AoE, I just can’t get over the thought of an AoEII on steroids. Age of Empires started my obsession with RTS games, but I have to admit Blizzards Starcraft 2 IS much more refined and polished that any other RTS I’ve played. I still play AoEII from time to time, but quickly realize how inferior it is to current rts games. Truely, a medieval RTS on the same playing field in quality and polish as Starcraft 2, along with a solid multiplayer experience like Starcraft 2, would put all other RTS games in the dust. Medieval warfare is simply the best :smile: !!! To bring up an example in a previous post, it’s called Age of Empires, not Age of Countries. Civ5 is another great game, but for me personally, as soon as I get into the industrial era the game looses its appeal. If I want modern combat I’ll play call of duty…give me a medieval game with modern graphics and the same polish of SC2…PLEASE!

@HolyZealage said:
There is something primal about the medieval era that I can’t get over. The stone, the steel, and the technology is simply faciniating to me. Although a contemporary era would be neat, and certainly the next logical step in the timeline of AoE, I just can’t get over the thought of an AoEII on steroids. Age of Empires started my obsession with RTS games, but I have to admit Blizzards Starcraft 2 IS much more refined and polished that any other RTS I’ve played. I still play AoEII from time to time, but quickly realize how inferior it is to current rts games. Truely, a medieval RTS on the same playing field in quality and polish as Starcraft 2, along with a solid multiplayer experience like Starcraft 2, would put all other RTS games in the dust. Medieval warfare is simply the best :smile: !!! To bring up an example in a previous post, it’s called Age of Empires, not Age of Countries. Civ5 is another great game, but for me personally, as soon as I get into the industrial era the game looses its appeal. If I want modern combat I’ll play call of duty…give me a medieval game with modern graphics and the same polish of SC2…PLEASE!

Haha! Medieval Call of Duty? Then you are a true Medieval Era lover. Agreed with your points.

I really loved what Ensemble did with AoE3 and the colonial era, but I really feel that AoE IV should return to the medieval era, and play to the same strengths that AoE2 did.

I think making a contemporary AOE game would be a terrible mistake.

In the old days all the civilizations were very unique. Everyone had ornate structures, awesome armors and weaponry. Since the last 200 years everything is converging and all countries’ military and buildings look pretty much the same now…

For me and many others, especially newer players, the uniqueness of different factions would be a big draw. With the first glance you can tell this is Egypt, that is Rome, China, etc. Who wouldn’t like knights vs samurais, vikings vs war elephants? In a contemporary war you have what, infantry vs infantry? I suppose the russian infantry could have big fur hats instead of helmets. At that point the only difference will be the voice acting. You would have to go through mental gymnastics to concoct some unique units for each faction as well. They will be uninspiring and no one will care about them. The game would have lost all its charm.

I think making a contemporary AOE game would be a terrible mistake.

In the old days all the civilizations were very unique. Everyone had ornate structures, awesome armors and weaponry. Since the last 200 years everything is converging and all countries’ military look pretty much the same now…

For me and many others, especially newer players, the uniqueness of different factions would be a big draw. With the first glance you can tell this is Egypt, that is Rome, China, etc. Who wouldn’t like knights vs samurais, vikings vs war elephants? In a contemporary war you have what, infantry vs infantry? I suppose the russian infantry could have big fur hats instead of helmets. At that point the only difference will be the voice acting. You would have to go through mental gymnastics to concoct some unique units for each faction as well. They will be uninspiring and no one will care about them. The game would have lost all its charm.

@AAHale said:
Industrial/Modern. AoE IV should be a sequel to AoE III, not a greatest hits.

the greatest war after the year 3 is the war of the triple alliance or Paraguayan war, it is the biggest war conflict in America. It would be great if it was included in aoe4