What exactly is the function of the Steppe Lancer?

You can’t look in a vacuum. There are far more downsides to going SL than upsides. You can’t use them in large groups because they simply don’t take good enough trades to justify it. Let’s look.

Knights take better fights against every unit type except villagers.

Cav Archers can fight melee units and ranged units and win, even their counters (on an okay level), and they’re pretty close as to picking off vills than Steppe Lancers IMO. Steppe Lancers cost more than CA. Let that sink in. They should be similar in strength, then, but they’re not. Also, they only have 1/5 more HP than CA.

Camels do better against Pikeman than they do, and also counter all other cavalry effectively.

Steppe Lancers…can raid? Can they fight Militia-line? No. Can they fight Knight line? No. Can they fight Cavalry Archers/Archers? No. Can they fight Pikeman? No. Okay, fine! What do they cost? 115 resources.

But they can’t do that, either. They do barely more damage than Light Cavalry and they cost 55 more resources, while also having less pierce armour.

But Hera has them on D tier, so all in all it checks out as weak.
You need to take either the average or the lower of the two tier rankings for greater dependability

Summary: Each pro that shares your opinion is the evidence

3 Likes

:rofl:
If that’s how you put it idk what to say. All i say is, take either the average or the lower of the two tier rankings for greater dependability on how strong the unit actually is.
And then consider the tiers of other pros as well.

Did you make that data mod with suggested steppe lancer changes, that you were planning to make, so that people could test how does unit work after those changes?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder. I plan to, I just had some crazy stuff happen this week. My work truck got robbed, neighbors house got broken into (guy fell through the ceiling)…:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hmmm so all this discussion pretty much confirms my initial guess that they are in fact not better than any unit at any one thing.

They really need an identity, maybe to make them a real good raiding unit they can do something like steal resources while attacking villagers or eco drop off buildings. Why not?

What vacuum?

I was talking about raids, so vills are the only units that counts. I actually agree with you that they do a poor jobs vs other military.

Well, it’s difficult to for CA to win vs defensive buildings, and ES have a huge bonus vs, yes they can win (with micro) but is it worth it? No, while ST can simply ignore ES.

Yes on total resources yes, I specified that they cost less gold.

Who raids with camels, only Indians do and they do a worse job than any other cavalry.

But you can stack up their attack, yes I know that you need a lot of them, and that most of the times isn’t worth it, but for raids they work well.
However I actually agree that SL civs shouldn’t lose the knight line, don’t get me wrong, I know that SL don’t replace knight or other cavalry.

Because if Hera says a unit is bad (by reaction, mind you) and you think that too, you support his opinion.
When Viper says otherwise, you assume he was fighting “NOOBS”

1 Like

Ok , i admit I said “NOOBS” for shock value and humor, but still, he was fighting what were NOOBS for him

SLs should be good at spearing foot soldiers and people walking on foot basically. But less powerful than knights given they have less armour.

I think this is the problem… steppes could drop gold cost and maybe add 1 extra damage for the elite… a more gold intensive scout with longer reach so able to kill lots of lighter units with the right micro but more fragile than a knight…

imo unique flavour is fallacious arguing… there’s tons of units that have similar rolls depending how you look at it… war eles vs battle eles, berserks vs viking champs, samurai vs jap champs, shotel vs woad, magyars and their hussars, gbetos and axemen, did i miss one?

the steppe has high damage out to in with the right micro… emphasis on micro, like someone arguing CA and foot archers are too similar since they both shoot

2 Likes

their range allows 3-4 lancers to attack a villager at once one shotting them and moving onto next one immediately. much better than knights at pure vill killing.
Although can’t match hussar spammabilty in post imp raiding for gold cost

1 Like

yeah, and ive used them a number of times to spear villagers while they try to wall, through the wall (so much for realism :smiley: )

1 Like

Wall not finished—pokey poke through the hole. Might honestly be the most realistic thing the game has done yet.

2 Likes

Yeah except the franks are a one trick pony and cumans have many more options.

And its totally balanced to spam out 17 attack 1.67 speed ranged melee units in 9 seconds.

You’re idea is not balanced in the slightest.

Fact is viper believes the unit is decent against everything except pro level play. Which means its fine for you.

1 Like

Is it really too important though?

We scout with sheep.

1 Like

Not judt the range. The stacking helps too

1 Like

ok I increase the price by a further 5 gold

At 70F 60G
Is it “balanced” now according to you @MatCauthon3 ?