What existing civs design can tell us from the civs to come

I’m not saying we will get all from the list. I was just listing the possibilities.
Which of the listed civs do you think will be the 12 we get to complete your list of 20?

2 Likes

Buddy.
This isn’t total war or crusader kings. We are not going to have hundreds of civilizations with accurate names, titles, technologies and whatever else that comes to mind.

Its an RTS game with 8 starting factions IF and its a pretty big IF we might double the amount of available factions within the first year of the release of this game. If we get more than 30 factions total I would be absolutely shocked.

The purpose of the naming scheme is not to accurate denote every ethnic group and historical kingdom. Its to advertise to the players who mostly don’t have much historical knowledge about who they are playing.
So if you got ONE german faction. Then bloody name it German.
If you got several? Then get more creative.

Just be consistent about it. If you have some factions with Sultanate or Empire in their name then make sure the others have Kingdom, Republic, Caliphate and etc in their name too.

3 Likes

I think that the actual culture of the Iraqis is unique enough to warrant them being their own thing though. They’re very much distinct from the cultures of the Arabian peninsula. Keep in mind Iraq is a fertile valley in close proximity with the Iranians so it’s heavily influenced by that.

If you had a civilization based off peninsular Arabs I think the appropriate name would be Arabs but not in any other case.

Imagine if you re-contextualized this for a game set in the modern day and you called the American civilization “The British” because of America’s historical connection to Britain.

1 Like

They were Normans… French Vikings.

1 Like

There are 40 civilizations in AOE2 right now so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have a lot of smaller factions in AOE4.

Because AOE 2 is basically half a dozen unique factions with just some technology and stats moved around. If you think you are getting 40 factions in this game you are deluded.
And btw all those 40 factions play the exact same way meanwhile AOE4 has made each faction play in very unique ways.

6 Likes

The Mughals are not in the game yet. The Mongols given end date is 1500 and The Delhi Sultanate given end date is 1517. The Mughal Empire started in 1526.

Um, it is entirely unreasonable. AoE2 civs only difference is 1-2 UU, 2 UT, a few bonuses and slightly different tech trees. AoE4 with 40 civs would be a nightmare to balance, would be impossible and would lead to probably 50% of the civs being unused

3 Likes

My guess is we are getting:

Persia, Byzantine, Vikings, 1 african faction, japan and maybe one more arab faction.

I mean it sucks but idk how feasibly they can make and balance so many of these factions.

4 Likes

Austria was the bavarian eastern march but by the year 1156 it was it’s own duchy independent from Bavaria

1 Like

I don’t think it’s unreasonable at all. The game is already more popular than AOE2. With much more advanced technology behind its development. They’re going to bring in money continuously through the Xbox game pass so Microsoft will ensure support for the game as long as it remains profitable. It’s likely that AOE4 will be supported for the next 10 years with additional content similar to company of heroes 2.

Also even if the civs aren’t “balanced” many players don’t play AOE for the competitive multiplayer and the competitive multiplayer system of AOE2 uses a pick ban system for tournaments that forces players to get proficient with multiple civilizations and the asymetrical matchups allow for all sorts of chaotic events to occur at every level of play.

Also even if something isn’t meta doesn’t mean it should be removed from the game. There a dozens of guns in Counter Strike that in your mind I would assume the developers wasted time by porting into CS:GO such as the dual berettas.

The term Bavarian works for both Bavarians and Austrians. However the term Austrian only works for Austrians by themselves. So you would have to put in the Bavarians as a separate civilization even though the were culturally identical. Similar to the English and the French in the middle ages.

All I desire are the Danes or Nords. If at least one of those (or both in one faction) are a thing eventually I am content and my life is complete.

2 Likes

Right, I agree. But still in the specific case of the Abbasids, Arabs would still be appropriate name. Because it would be like having the British ruling USA territories before USA existed, like in AoE3. Then you can add Mesopotamia/iraq as an independent faction too… like you know… the USA in AoE3

I’m not talking about age of empires 3 time which started in the 1400s and ends in the 1870s. I am talking about just called the modern day united states of America the British civilization. Which is equivalent to what you’re arguing for with the Abbassids being called Arabs.

wtf…
Vikings are vikings. In every movie/book.
I want to play Vikings, not Norse or Scandinavian.

totally disagree.
First of all, with 40 civs some would be bad for certain maps, but it’s expected situation.
Secondly, aoe4 did not go far away from aoe2 balance.
a few uniq units per civ, full tech tree for standart units and blacksmith.
No upgrades in aoe2 could make some matchups broken. But here u always have option to play archers + kts. Not best solution, but it will be always “okay”.
The most difference is eco upgrades. But eco upgrades are balanced easily.

If they will constantly adjust balance, it will be cool to have 40 civs, there wont be total “imbalanced” civs. Or one civ dominate the others, cause different maps boost different bonuses.

But the Austrias/Habsburg ruled in Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Hungary and even the HRE. While the Bavarians were always part of the HRE and never fully independent.

1 Like

Is not the same because modern united states was never ruled by a British dynasty. the abbasid caliphate was ruled by an Arab dynasty, the Abbasids. Unless they include the Mamluk Sultanate as part of the Abbasids which I found rather absurd… oh wait…

I was saying that the bonuses that the HRE has in this game I think could be represented better by calling them Bavarians than Germans.

The Landsknecht and their bonuses to fortifications and infantry all appear to be derived from Bavarian/Austrian culture. The only thing that isn’t distinctly Bavarian about them is their landmarks but those could be replaced with other landmarks that are unique to Bavaria and Austria.

Okay so that is just brain dead stupid. By that same standard your argument for the “Austrians” should be called Swiss since the Hapsburg Dynasty originated in Switzerland.

On top of that the Abbassids originated in Jordan. not in Arabia.