What if monks could inspire units?

I rest my case.

But construction crew centurions wouldn’t, apparently…Anyway, Legionaries, Centurions/Cavaliers already overlap somewhat with Urumis and Coustilliers after the UT. Legionaries could at least be distinguished by making different buildings, and it’s more thematically appropriate than a charge attack. Regardless, I don’t expect any such change.

Because in the idea I’ve come up with, the buildings Centurions can build will just provide an aura, not train any units like Barracks, or attack like Donjons. If making Barracks trainable Legionaries able to build Barracks as you said, it obviously makes them like better Serjeants.

Well it is not a good design, but it may be a better design than the current one.
It can keep the theme and gimmick of the UU in a likely more acceptable way, even though the gimmick itself is regarded bad to some people.

Buildings with aura are already ingame now so having a uu build them is just two gimmicks mixed in to one.
Generic buildings with aura is a thing in swgb if I remember right.

Unique units with something special makes unique units more special/unique than just different stats compare to regular units.

You know what would be a good idea for an aura for monks?
Conversion resistance!
Wouldn’t it be logical that you are less likely to convert to Islam if there is a Monk nearby reminding you that you will ## ## #### if you stop following the only real religion.

I really don’t like the technology Heresy, it basically disables a game feature for more then half of the civilisations.
It’s also ridiculous that it’s cheaper and available an Age earlier then Faith, which is objectively worse.

A technology that increased the conversion resistance when monks are nearby would be an interesting and logical game mechanic.
It has the be higher then what faith does and would need to be cheaper then Heresy.
It would make conversions more interesting because you have to snipe enemy monks to speed up your conversions, or you have to micro your monks to protect your army from conversions.
Since monks are really slow that would not suddenly make raids with Knights more powerful because you can’t just take the Monks with you.

Edit:
Not removing the censorship because it’s more funny this way.

1 Like

The inspire mechanism of romans is that developer try to push the limit and see how a Militia can be buffed without breaking the game. They did it patch by patch since last year, like increasing the Armor of 2HS, decreasing the upgrade cost, introducing Gambesons. And clearly Militia is still not as popular as knight line due to lack of mobility. It show that there is still room to push the limit.

In romans, they try to put all those in Militia line

Celts movement speed
Japanese attack speed
Goths creation time
Dravidians upgrade cost (by merging 2HS and champion upgrade into one)
Half the upgrade time (also by merging 2HS and champion upgrade into one)

Having that said, if Militia is still not breaking the game (or somehow breaking the game but not too hard), I think one of the approach they will go, it to use the monk to inspire infantry unit. Examples are Burmese and Aztecs which are both monk civ with strong infantry. Nearby monks may buff the infantry to increase their battle power or even have a AOE heal like what celt have.

I think monk inspire will be added only when it holds a relic. Would give relics more value than just gold income. Which was the original devs idea anyway.

2 Likes

I’m not against units with aura and am not sure why it’s considered an heresy, but I think it should only be added through an UT or as a free civ bonus. It would allow for more variety depending on civs (and religion, sort of). Also, it maybe shouldn’t be available while healing/converting and/or moving? As @Skadidesu pointed out, an aura of resistance to conversion may be interesting, fun and logical, for instance.
Another thing that I would like to see would be monks with a small trample healing (or maybe splash healing, but it may be too powerful if it’s not scaled down for the units near the main target).