What improvment will increase the player level?

except pros don’t use auto scout until late feudal at the absolute earliest.

I’m not really comparing the 2. You’re putting a criterion out there, and I’m showing is a bad criterion.

There might be valid reasons why infinite queue should not be implemented, but it’s not that automation that is

Is necessarily bad.

I’d probably hate this. It’s be the same as magonels which are manually targeted dealing 50% extra damage, or villagers which are manually retasked to a new tree being 10% more efficient, or monks which are manually tasked being 1000000% more efficient.
Player attention should not be artificially be made more valuable. People who want that can go play a game with active abilities or a hero mechanic.

people who want more automation can go make a game with that mechanic.

To be honest, adding an Infinity Queue is the best alternative to increase the player base.

I know the rants are coming, but seriously, the maniac APM aspect of Age 2 (clicking for production) doesn’t make it any favors.

I know many engineers who were excellent online gamers, with good results in local tournaments and ranked matches, but they eventually got fed-up of the maniac APM fest.

Also, an AI assistant helping noobs with Build Orders would also help people get more interested in the game. Perhaps you can hint them what’s the classical Build Order in Dark Age for a certain map, or warn them in Imperial Age when they don’t have Blacksmith upgrades, etc.

I know the Age 2 community dislikes these sort of changes, but there aren’t game breakers. Age of Mythology survived having an Auto-Queue, and Dota 2 tries to include small user guides. Perhaps this is what Age 2 needs to become a more mainstream E-sport.

PS. The guys who complain about these sort of changes aren’t as good as they claim. A real pro would never lose a tournament because of these simplistic changes, and noobs would be grateful. There’s just a small percentage who makes a lot of noise getting caught in the middle (neither noob nor pro).

1 Like

which qualifies as “using it”. So your statement is correct except for the word “except”. Nothing contradicting me there…

Player base is already increasing at a pretty good rate. That’s usually not to sign to radically change game mechanics…

That’s a way better suggestion than auto-everything. I dont have a problem with people being able to put an interactive build order thing into their online gameplay. I just want that they still need to do the steps by themselves and not have the game doing it for them.
Technically it is already possible by having a build order on a 2nd monitor or an app which speaks the steps based on timing (I remember something like that for Starcraft…). So why not implement it for beginners? Could be good and actually help them to get better rather than helping them to get more lazy while playing.

Yeah…cause AoM has an amazing online-community right now and is thriving…
Of course we can’t say it’s because of auto-que, but using a game which is way less popular than AoE2 as an example of why AoE2 should be more like this game is not the most convincing way to argue…

Perhaps AoE2 is on a very good way and has been for several years?!
Also making the game more casual is certainly NOT the way to make it an esport. You need high skill ceiling for it to be an esport (that’s not the only aspect of course, but it’s very relevant).

2 Likes

my point was - they use it when it no longer matters, they don’t use it right from the get go, because its inferior and doesn’t give them the info they need.

should give everyone the huns’ population bonus

if you could kill houses to population-lock people maybe houses would be interesting, but they have a million HP so even that is pointless. they’re basically just parts of a wall to make camping & booming stronger which leads to inaction & boredom

the artificial APM tax to increase the skill cap is not important compared to making matchmaking faster & more accurate. i want to see more players reach my level in order to improve the queue times

my point was - people said: dont worry, this will not affect pro play at all. They will never touch it.

Pros do touch it and it actually helps a very tiny bit (as you said, only if the scout still lives after Feudal Age, but there are some games, where it matters).

In this thread again we have casual players claiming that pros can just continue playing the way they are playing and it won’t affect them and I just want them to remember that they have no clue what affects pro gameplay and what doesnt.
btw. with auto que it is a lot more obvious that it would affect pro play than it was with auto scout and also the impact would be a lot bigger.

1 Like

this i 100% agree with. autoque has zero place in this game if you ask me, and if it does make it in, it better have a substantial downside.

Bar it behind certain game modes that are not MP, treat it as cheats for achievement purposes, or implement it as a literal cheat code that you can type and enable.