What ROR could/should have been

Not only that, the pathfinding of AoE 1 units is horrible…That’s why I prefer to play AoM (if I prefer something more like AoE 2) or AoEO (if I prefer something more like AoE 3)…

Yeah,the Short Swordsman would have to be the Axeman’s upgrade.

Or AoE Online…I’m playing a lot of AoE 1, AoM and AoEO…

1 Like

Agreed,…Plus I think more people will play 1 now.

Yes, a lot of big AoE 2 youtubers are playing it to promote it…so I hope a lot of people will play it in the next few months…

Aoe1 terrain. Aoe 1 gaia units.

Aoe 2 terrain is big turnoff. Seems cheap and copied.

Or at least give options to change between both.
The UI and the menus could use some changes as well. The less things copied from AOE2 the better.

1 Like

I’d be in favour of a rebalancing of the Granary, Storage Pit and Town Center to keep all of them relevant throughout the game.

• Granary becoming the deposit point for all food types. Currently, being just for berries and farms, there’s only ever a need to build one or two, and it’s also counter-intuitive for new players that only some food types go in the food building.

• Town Center having a stone cost. Currently, TCs just cost a little more wood than the Storage Pit, which seems unreasonable as TCs can do everything the Storage Pit does (except research military buffs), and create Villagers, and age up, and deposit all resource types, and have more hitpoints, and now even garrison Villagers. The result is that you never build any more Storage Pits once you’re able to build TCs. But if TCs cost an additional, limited resource, you now have a tactical choice between which building will be more useful in that location. I realise this is an AoE2-ification, but it’s like that for a good reason.

Generally though, yeah I’d prefer not to AoE2-ify the game except where there’s a really good reason. Let it be its own thing. Gates and land trade are important additions, but no need for UUs, UTs, herdables, lumber/mining camps, castle equivalents or garrison arrows, IMO.

4 Likes

Imagine the outcry if they would add AoE3 features and mechanics to AoE2.

This is probably how the hardcore AoE1 fan base thinks about adding AoE2 mechanics to the game.

They kinda already are, actually.

Well, their game is dated and not fun to play for AoE2 players, and this is AoE2 DLC, so an update was necessary.

I agree that TCs should cost some stone to make them less spamable. I would imagine 50 stone should be enough.

3 Likes

Your game is dated an not fun to play for AoE3 players.

This is an AoE2 DLC for technical reasons first. I think it’s mostly targeted at Asian AoE1 players that’s why they are afraid to change too many things.

I would personally also add the 50 Stone cost, reduce the garrison to 5 but add an attack to it.
This way the TCs can’t be spammed like before but they are also not as strong as AoE2 ones.

2 Likes

I think they did almost perfect with this DLC. The only thin I miss is the old campaigns xD I really wanted to play them against a non retarded AI

1 Like

Since lot of games end in Tool Age, there must be done something that helps players to stay alive bit. I would personally add attack ability to TC in bronze age via tech, but that would not help to survive in Tool Age.

My second idea would be to introduce wooden/palisade walls with 100 HP, 2 pierce armor and cost 5 wood to make walling easier. I think it should be from Tool Age and small wall tech could unlock it.

Third idea would be to that tower techs from granary would make TC fire:
Watch tower tech: 3 damage per 3 villager max to 5 arrows, range 5.
Sentry tower tech: 4 damage per 3 villager max to 5 arrows, range 5.
Guard tower tech: 5 damage per 3 villager max to 5 arrows, range 5.
Since some civs lack guard tower upgrades their TCs will be weaker in Iron Age.

1 Like

That’s the reasons why they added the D3 game mode. Maybe they intend this to be the main gamemode.

I wonder how Empire War works like in RoR, haven’t seen anyone show it off.

This is like forced rule, I wish there would be something which makes it naturally more possible. And if not mistaken in D3 mode you can’t build walls and towers.

yes.

I agree with you. I’d prefer a better overall design instead of those forced rules.
Also the TC spam in Bronze Age is a little to extreme in my opinion too.
Also there is nothing like Loom that increases the survivability of villagers.

Khmer no drop bonus (in AoE 3 no resource deposit is required)

Flemish revolution (which in turn comes from AoM’s ragnarok)

The centurion’s ability to boost units (which comes from the Spanish missionaries, the Lakota warchief and Japanese Daymios from AoE 3)

Yes, why are we going to fool ourselves?.. that’s how it is…

Speed from wheel increases villager speed and therefore their survivability and then there is iron age tech which makes villager far more stronger, of course they could reduce its carry capacity penalty to make it more appeasing.

Adding stone cost to TCs is the reason why I want to make spamming TCs from Bronze bit harder.

2 Likes

I haven’t really thought this through, but what if you could only build a new TC in Iron Age, unless you lose the TC; or at least limit the number that can be built. I am very used to a 50 pop cap, so TC spamming was not a big thing.

Yes, I know. If AoE2 were added to AoE3…somehow, I would expect there to be changes to make it friendly to AoE3 players.

This is an AoE2 DLC first and foremost, so the AoE1 game mode needs to be attractive to AoE2 players.

I wish the Jihad erm Zealotry tech was a toggle after researching. Losing your economy should be optional but after the frenzy everyone goes back to work.

Also a loom counterpart could help early game villager survival.

I’m mainly an AoE2 player and there are quite a few thing from AoE3 that I would love to see in AoE2, such as an equivalent to minor civilization settlements and treasures (and treasure guardians), or from a cosmetic point of view the less static gaia units. It makes interacting with the map way funnier. Home cities and revolutions would probably not work, however.

1 Like