Sup guys… one of my first posts here, and i would like to share some thoughts about some issues i think make AOM less played than it should be, and i think somehow make the experience lack a bit. And, if i could of course, would like to change in a possible new entry of this series (AOM 2 or AOM:DE)
1 - POPULATION:
- This is first, because i think hurt AOM the most. Age of Empires is a series, most notably, for some (at least possible) massive battles, and AOM, most noticeably in late game, if the match is balanced, you won´t have much space for military, since it´s common and recomended, to always make max villagers. To matters worse, all military units cost, at least, 2 population making battles EXTREMELY LIMITATED. Think about it, if you lost an important TC, and must retreat, it´s basically gg. Even with resources, you´ll have to fight with, about 15 military (late game). and the enemy, eventually will snowball by pure numbers.
I would reduce population of all units by one. Some units like Jarls, really would be OP to have a AGE2 Treatment (1 pop), but infantry like ulfsark, or even the egy spearman costing 2, and fighting… like that… no, please. And allow the possility of max pop (200 for example), be reached, even without additional settlements.
2 - SETTLEMENTS:
- Don´t get me wrong here, having to fight for settlements, is indeed cool, and make some risky moves worth here, but, i´m not sure, having an OP advantage here is balanced. More population, that eventually WILL snowball, and the only way to make more villagers. I would argue for a change in the way they work. Having some advantage like 10-15% more hp or attack for all units, for example. And having at least a possiblity to make villagers in another building, even with similar tc cost (with no attack for ex). Again, linking with previous topic, Would not impact population, in a long game.
3 - SOME ECONOMIC REVIEW:
- AOM it´s a game extremelly reliant on gold. The closest we have to a trash unit here is some mythic units, and favour, it´s not soo fast to get. Even norse need Hersir fighting (that cost gold), to get favour fast. I think gold it´s a little… overused in AOM. Ok, we have the markets that train caravan, but the caravan again cost population, that is so important in late game. I personaly think AGE 3 nail perfectly this issue, having the “plantation” that is like a farm that collects gold in a more slow pace than mines, but with infinite suply, and with some safety, even at the expense of lots of wood to build.
I think having a similar building in AOM is needed, since ALL human units cost gold. I would prefer this, but…
if the caravans would to be chosen, i would remove the population (not the food cost), and let a max of 30 or 40 to be made. Always priorizing population for military and fighting.
4 - THE ATROCITY OF WALLS COST (and placement)
- Walls, costing GOLD… in an intensive gold cost game… wtf? Walls are not even that strong… but again, costing what it´s absolutely important for military units, it´s a little… too much.
I think costing wood, could be a little more fitting with the game with revised costs.
We should be able to make them even linking with a gold mine (you can´t build walls so close to one.
Towers cost gold too… don´t like it personally, but it´s far more tolerable than walls costing it.
5 - MORE CLEAR INFO
- This is a minor, but somehow annoys me. That´s a lot of hidden bonuses in this game, and they are not so well written. Again, i think AGE 3 do the job here. I know preciselly what kind of bonus i have and against who. In AOM, i´m not so sure how much damage you do, even when you read the notes, they´re not so clear.
And that´s some things i think could improve the experience of AOM in our “half life 3 edition”.